PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the rollers

Custom Search

Bix
07-30-2018, 04:24 PM
Hi,

I would like to make a comparison with you. How often do you replace the MFP rollers (pickup roller, feed roller, knowing roller etc.)?

Every 300,000 copies are written in the manual. Do you prefer to replace or "clean" them?

tsbservice
07-30-2018, 04:41 PM
Hi Bix. Obviously it depends heavily on the type of paper customers use..
Cheep and with bad quality papers equal to premature rollers life(and many other parts). With bad paper here they will start misdeeding and jamming around 200k. Cleaning helps a bit.

copyman
07-30-2018, 05:55 PM
If you are talking about the the "4" series and newer your should replace rollers anytime over 200k when you get a call for misfeeding/jamming and service history shows more than 5 jams from the adf or paper drawers in last 2-4 weeks. 5 is just a number I use but you still have to "interview" the customer for more information, what type of paper, etc, etc. Of course if I see 5 jams 1 min apart and that's all I see in history I can assume it was one thing customer was doing wrong, i.e. trying to feed thick paper, etc and not an issue with rollers.

Good point by BC about aftermarket rollers. I use the China aftermarket rollers and why I replace them automatically at 200k (if they make it that far). If you get 200k out of them you are way ahead of the game, just replace. I may go back to OEM on the 4 series. I was going through so many rollers with the C253 series that I switched to aftermarket. Now that most of what I service are the 4 series probably will only have to change rollers once for life of machine with OEM rollers.

copier addict
07-30-2018, 06:55 PM
I just use the counter as a guideline. I replace the rollers when they look like they need to be replaced. I have replaced them at 150k and at 320k.

blackcat4866
07-30-2018, 07:55 PM
Aftermarket rollers will do 150K, OEM: between 400K & 580K in the right circumstances.

In the end though I don't let the count be the primary factor. If the sep roller is smooth, tapered or flattened the machine will get new tires regardless of the count. =^..^=

roho
07-30-2018, 08:08 PM
So many customers, especially large corporate accounts, now seem to have deals or contracts for some pretty pi$$ poor quality paper. The cost of simple rollers is cheaper then the parking at most of these accounts so if the sep roller looks worn I replace all of them on mid size models.

magicaljake
07-31-2018, 12:45 AM
I usually replace the rollers when the separator roller no longer has visual texture.

Hansoon
07-31-2018, 06:09 AM
I usually replace the rollers when the separator roller no longer has visual texture.

Exactly, but never more than 120K. At the same time oneways are being cleaned and the shafts scuffed up. Have many remote customers and the costs of travel are far higher than a set of rollers not to mention the good Karma...... lol

Did I say I HATE paper jams?

Hans

copier tech
07-31-2018, 08:02 AM
The sign of a bad engineer is replacing rollers everytime he gets sent to a machine jamming, regardless of their life or even the jam code!

I usually replace the rollers at each PM or each time I replace a drum.

Also if the customer only has a 2 tray config tray 1 usually does most of the work so i'd keep an eye on their life.

3ktlc
08-01-2018, 02:12 PM
I try cleaning them first. Then run test copies and have the customer run multiples.
Unless they are close to life end. Then I replace.

Custom Search