PDA

View Full Version : CQ BHC452 "The color is off, I wanted a different shade of purple", she said.

Custom Search

Desert Rat
08-10-2018, 02:08 PM
A nice lady at my church account mentioned this last year too. I cleaned things then and ran the auto gradation and adjusted the
cyan density. My target looks real good. The process gray came out gray. I don't know what driver she's using, but it has some adjustment
for quality. I adjusted the cyan on the driver and she said, "That's not as bright as what's on my computer screen."
She a nice gray haired church lady, just who you'd expect to meet in a church.
Also from time to time they have to re-boot the machine to get it to print their job. I happen to catch them pulling the plug on the
machine while it was still on. I ashed her to never do that and to shut it down with the buttons before pulling the plug.

So, what am I missing here? I don't do IT work. Someone mentioned to me that it could be a cheap router getting jammed up with
jobs, but this morning, there was no one else around.:confused:
Has anyone run into this before.

Thanks

DR

Phil B.
08-10-2018, 02:40 PM
A nice lady at my church account mentioned this last year too. I cleaned things then and ran the auto gradation and adjusted the
cyan density. My target looks real good. The process gray came out gray. I don't know what driver she's using, but it has some adjustment
for quality. I adjusted the cyan on the driver and she said, "That's not as bright as what's on my computer screen."
She a nice gray haired church lady, just who you'd expect to meet in a church.
Also from time to time they have to re-boot the machine to get it to print their job. I happen to catch them pulling the plug on the
machine while it was still on. I ashed her to never do that and to shut it down with the buttons before pulling the plug.
So, what am I missing here? I don't do IT work. Someone mentioned to me that it could be a cheap router getting jammed up with
jobs, but this morning, there was no one else around.:confused:
Has anyone run into this before.
Thanks DR

you have two problems. 1) you cannot get EXACT color match from a RGB monitor to a CMYK print out UNLESS you use a calibrated Pantone setup. ( take her the color theory section of ANY service manual )
2) jamming jobs .. yes could be a router... could be a cable.... could be a number of things.

you failed to mention what TYPE of files she is trying to print.
what driver / OS she is using
ethernet or USB
how long is the cable ( ethernet less than 1000' usb 10' or less

Synthohol
08-10-2018, 04:02 PM
Calibrate her monitor to match the output.
Plus without a fiery all bets are off

tsbservice
08-10-2018, 07:47 PM
Calibrate her monitor to match the output.

That is smart solution:D....not ideal, but in this case maybe.
As for their network setup, cables, switches etc. and machine configuration you should not get into deep.
Check that drivers they are using are suitable for the application, not just generic.
Good luck

emujo2
08-10-2018, 08:47 PM
I can tell you for sure that jobs don't get "stuck" in the router...but I had a good laugh when I read it. Assuming they are printing jobs using something other that a basic PDF image (in design, acrobat, illustrator ect) and they are using Win7 or 10, it may just be the insufficient RAM on these obsolete devices that is the problem. So what I would do is find a small PDF image and send it as a print job, then send one of their jobs. The blue data light will flash as long as the MFP is receiving and ripping the file. You may find a considerable time difference between the 2 types of jobs. If they are sitting in front of the MFP waiting on their job to process and print and after a few min, just give up and power cycle then that job will be canceled. If the print queue had not spooled the entire job, the printer will try and print it again when the network is ready. If it had already spooled the entire job, then the queue thinks it has done its job and the next print job in line starts to process. If you have access to a newer KM, take the file to your shop and print it out there to see if the time is cut down by any measurable amount. The advice about calibrating the monitor is good, but as posted, there is pretty much no way you are going to match what you see on a HD monitor to what can be printed on an MFP. KM color print drivers also allow you to do the calibrations within the driver or select a monitor profile other than the generic default. If you can find the profile for her monitor then you can add it for the driver to use. If it was one of my customers, I would reset and re calibrate the MFP, then have their IT do the monitor profiles and calibrations. If they don't have and IT rep ( or it's Jim from the 2nd sunday service who knows a little about computers), then I would offer to do the work, train them how to do it on their own and bill them for the time. Another good test is to open the print queue when they send one of these jobs. You can actually watch the spooling process from here. If that job takes 5 min just to leave the queue, now it has to be prepped on the MFP side. If this is a shared printer you can tell the driver to do the processing on the client side versus having the server do all the work for each job that is sent. Hope you get somewhere with this, pretty common issue for small organization like this and mom/pop outfits..Emujo

blackcat4866
08-11-2018, 02:33 AM
I forget who I got this from:

Your RGB monitor (additive color) will look exactly like the copy when they invent light producing media. Until that time you'll have to accept the CYMK (subtractive color) results. Light producing sources (additive color) have a much larger color gamut, and can produce a much wider variety of colors than reflective color.

Notice how most of the purples are not even in the CMYK color gamut? =^..^=

tsbservice
08-11-2018, 06:26 AM
I forget who I got this from:

Your RGB monitor (additive color) will look exactly like the copy when they invent light producing media. Until that time you'll have to accept the CYMK (subtractive color) results. Light producing sources (additive color) have a much larger color gamut, and can produce a much wider variety of colors than reflective color.

Notice how most of the purples are not even in the CMYK color gamut? =^..^=

Well, we all know the theory BUT that is excellent explanation - so simple and yet so right.
Thanks BC.

Desert Rat
09-09-2018, 02:16 AM
:confused:
All you guys just went over my head. Glad when I can retire.
At least I knew it was an IT or set up problem.
All I can do is get an IT tech friend of mine and see what he can do.
:o

Thanks for the info overload:)

DR

blackcat4866
09-09-2018, 03:44 PM
The short answer is that the MFP just cannot make all of the colors that you can see. It's just not possible. The best you can do is modify the view from the monitor to reflect what is possible to print. Or spend $20K more to get a production quality machine with a Fiery. =^..^=

Desert Rat
09-10-2018, 03:26 PM
It's a small church so I don't believe they will spend the money.
I guess they will just have to make due with the colors they can get.

Thanks Cat

Synthohol
09-10-2018, 04:08 PM
IC-412 fiery is less than 500.00 used if that helps?
IC-412 konica - Google Search (https://www.google.com/search?q=IC-412+konica&client=firefox-b-1-ab&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwid78Oy27DdAhXKTd8KHXitBL4Q_AUIECgD&biw=1522&bih=916)

CompyTech
09-11-2018, 10:20 PM
Getting the Fiery is one thing. Knowing how to set it up and use it is another.

Synthohol
09-11-2018, 10:49 PM
Getting the Fiery is one thing. Knowing how to set it up and use it is another.
thats eazy peazy.
local port
standard tcp-ip
load driver manually not from a setup on disk.
change port type to LPR instead of RAW.
Queue name Print
done.

Desert Rat
09-12-2018, 02:34 PM
Synthohol and Comptech,
That sounds easy if your familiar with that end of the machine. I would have to convince the
customer to pay for the fiery and get help to set it up. I could probably find someone to help
with the set up.
I will mention it to the customer. They will probably just change the color on the file. That would
be cheaper and easier for them.
But I will mention this type of solution.

Thanks for your input

DR

Custom Search