PDA

View Full Version : Konica c284e stuck at boot screen

Custom Search

dave36data
08-15-2018, 10:45 PM
So this is a real weird problem, hopefully someone has had it before.......

Konica c284e switches on and goes through the shark fins ok and gets the Konica logo in the corner but wont go any further. Strange thing is that there are no motors or fans activated during booting it is totally quiet.

I thought boards or power supply so using another machine I have swapped the boards on the rear (as a set so as to avoid problems) also hard drive, laser assy, power supply and the board at front of the machine behind the waste bottle.
It has also had a replacement fuser.

All boards/units removed were put in other machine and worked fine. Firmware has also been upgraded.

I feel that I am missing something obvious but at the moment I haven't got a clue.....

Inspiration anyone???

Synthohol
08-15-2018, 11:00 PM
SSD board.
hope you are working for a dealer, its special procedure ordering.

mincopier
08-15-2018, 11:17 PM
Agree that it is the SSD/NVRAM. Do not use a used NVRAM on this series. You will have two screwed up machines. It must be replaced with a brand new one from Konicaminolta. Dealer only item. Tech support must be called first, you must have a valid tech ID and be certified by Konicaminolta on this machine.

907tec
08-15-2018, 11:48 PM
I'm concerned that your approach might have been a little heavy-handed. There are a few things to try before you take the "shotgun approach", i.e. "changing all the boards". Not sure if you were using hyperbole, but that is just not going to work on this series of machines. Generally a bad idea to replace all the boards at once, especially with the 4-series and newer. Personally, I would reinstall all the original parts before continuing. I'm assuming that you aren't a Konica tech, due to your approach to this issue. For instance, having the SSD version number, and firmware level, would be relevant to this situation.

I will say... I dealt with a similar problem on a C364e last year. Machine stuck during boot, though it was at the "2 pillars" stage. Couldn't boot into service mode, so couldn't perform board backups/data transfer. SSD was at 6.01, but would code out (error 3320) when attempting to update. SSD tool did not work. Machine would not load MFP firmware (of any version). Tried removing all options, unplugging everything one by one, replacing DCPU, SSD, MFPB, and on and on and on. Everyone, including Konica, was stumped.

There is a long, long and twisted service history on this machine, enough to fill several posts. It was eventually recommended that I change the PWB-MCL board. However, this board is impossible to replace without having data backed up in service mode. Turns out, Konica has a magical device that is able to program a *new/unused* PWB-MCL with the relevant data to a particular Serial Number/Machine. There is (rumored) to be only one of these devices in North America and another in Japan. The North American team had to have the required files prepared by a team in Japan, then sent to the US, programmed into the new "donor" board, then shipped to me.

It didn't help.

The machine got scrapped the next month.

Thought it was an interesting story, though.

If you are interested, I can go through my notes/emails/SSD ticket related to this issue.

mincopier
08-16-2018, 12:05 AM
Konicaminolta NVRAM Troubleshooting guide

Dropbox - NVRAM_Final_1-16-13.pdf (https://www.dropbox.com/s/g5tjrcosgaxbjdt/NVRAM_Final_1-16-13.pdf?dl=0)

dave36data
08-16-2018, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the info, I actually changed the SSD board as the first option with a brand new one from Konica, it didn’t make a difference, but will double check everything again.

I'm concerned that your approach might have been a little heavy-handed. There are a few things to try before you take the "shotgun approach", i.e. "changing all the boards". Not sure if you were using hyperbole, but that is just not going to work on this series of machines. Generally a bad idea to replace all the boards at once, especially with the 4-series and newer. Personally, I would reinstall all the original parts before continuing. I'm assuming that you aren't a Konica tech, due to your approach to this issue. For instance, having the SSD version number, and firmware level, would be relevant to this situation.

I will say... I dealt with a similar problem on a C364e last year. Machine stuck during boot, though it was at the "2 pillars" stage. Couldn't boot into service mode, so couldn't perform board backups/data transfer. SSD was at 6.01, but would code out (error 3320) when attempting to update. SSD tool did not work. Machine would not load MFP firmware (of any version). Tried removing all options, unplugging everything one by one, replacing DCPU, SSD, MFPB, and on and on and on. Everyone, including Konica, was stumped.

There is a long, long and twisted service history on this machine, enough to fill several posts. It was eventually recommended that I change the PWB-MCL board. However, this board is impossible to replace without having data backed up in service mode. Turns out, Konica has a magical device that is able to program a *new/unused* PWB-MCL with the relevant data to a particular Serial Number/Machine. There is (rumored) to be only one of these devices in North America and another in Japan. The North American team had to have the required files prepared by a team in Japan, then sent to the US, programmed into the new "donor" board, then shipped to me.

It didn't help.

Thought it was an interesting story, though.

If you are interested, I can go through my notes/emails/SSD ticket related to this issue.

Vikingrepairguy
08-16-2018, 08:22 PM
I sure hope you tried new firmware first?

copier tech
08-16-2018, 09:26 PM
I sure hope you tried new firmware first?

I thought the same, latest firmware should be the first step much quicker than replacing all boards!

dave36data
08-16-2018, 10:37 PM
Yes latest firmware has been applied. I did that first of all.

I thought the same, latest firmware should be the first step much quicker than replacing all boards!

allan
08-17-2018, 05:31 AM
About changing board on these machines, in this case you can swap out one board at a time to test.
Trick is if that board is not the problem put the boards back where you found them then power up both, then try the next one.
This includes the SSD.

If you managed to fix the issue put all the boards back where you found them and order the board you need.
Unless the donor machine is scraped just leave it in there and all should be well.

Would be use full if someone here can expand on the reset tool use.

So you can use used boards.

mincopier
08-17-2018, 10:08 PM
You cannot swap boards between two machines. According to Konicaminolta this will mess up both machines. You must use a brand new or reconditioned board from Konicaminolta.

Synthohol
08-17-2018, 11:01 PM
Would be use full if someone here can expand on the reset tool use. So you can use used boards.
clear some of your PMs man, you are full and cannot get what im trying to send you :)

mincopier
08-17-2018, 11:18 PM
It is my understanding the the "Reset Tools" are not used so that you can use a used board. Every time I have talked to tech support it has been stressed by them to no use a used board in these machines.

Synthohol
08-17-2018, 11:25 PM
i only use it when i have ordered a board and they just need to be up in the meantime.
im glad i work for a company that only uses OEM and new parts. but there are those emergencys when ya gotta do what ya gotta do to just get them running.
i had a machine 4 series that i had installed a used board that was all taped up, looked new but my meter went from 700k to 65k. thats how i knew it was used.
ran the tool, wiped everything but they only ran 2 days before it crashed again so we gave them a loaner while i waited for the new board.
i do not condone nor recommend used boards ever. its just a waste of time and effort.

allan
08-18-2018, 02:55 AM
You cannot swap boards between two machines. According to Konicaminolta this will mess up both machines. You must use a brand new or reconditioned board from Konicaminolta.

Well all the machines i fixed is still running...:confused:

Instructions on how to do this came from a KM source.

allan
08-18-2018, 03:03 AM
clear some of your PMs man, you are full and cannot get what im trying to send you :)

Thanks for that.
Cleared out some PM's.

blackcat4866
08-18-2018, 03:05 AM
AFAIK, the MFP Board Rest Tool is effective and permanent. It certainly does not fix everything, but it's bailed me out several times. The only drawback that I know of is incidentally changing the admin password and CE password, requiring a quick call to the hotline for a reset code. I wish every manufacturer had a software tool like this. =^..^=

Synthohol
08-18-2018, 03:15 AM
Thanks for that.
Cleared out some PM's.
sent.
enjoy

dave36data
08-18-2018, 08:44 AM
Many thanks for the info, all boards were changed one by one for testing without success, using the reset tool as per the Konica bulletin. But the end result was still a machine that didn’t boot which is why I decided to change all the boards in one lump along with power supply etc as mentioned earlier. Obviously no harm was done to the other machine as it is back up and running but I will say that the use of the reset tool is critical when changing some boards.

what I can’t understand is that this machine switches on and will come up with several shark fins but no motors turn. Now according to the service manual main motor should rotate as one of the first things on the timing chart.

About changing board on these machines, in this case you can swap out one board at a time to test.
Trick is if that board is not the problem put the boards back where you found them then power up both, then try the next one.
This includes the SSD.

If you managed to fix the issue put all the boards back where you found them and order the board you need.
Unless the donor machine is scraped just leave it in there and all should be well.

Would be use full if someone here can expand on the reset tool use.

So you can use used boards.

joelea
08-22-2018, 04:46 PM

Love a happy ending to a story ;)

Phil B.
08-23-2018, 01:17 AM
AFAIK, the MFP Board Rest Tool is effective and permanent. It certainly does not fix everything, but it's bailed me out several times. The only drawback that I know of is incidentally changing the admin password and CE password, requiring a quick call to the hotline for a reset code. I wish every manufacturer had a software tool like this. =^..^=

if OKI has one, the Fone Techs do not know about it....

they USED to have a Maint Tool to pull serial # - Page Counts - Supply Counts when changing the CU Bd... no longer... and you CANNOT input from panel/RUI that info. but the boss is getting away from new OKI ( they cut us from the PRO series even tho we have 30 in the field ) so NOW he is pushing the Epson WorkForce - T and P series. ** friggin' ink **

Custom Search