PDA

View Full Version : c6501 with Fiery IC-408 - FF code - loads winxp fine - no EFI controller - options??

Custom Search

raplma
08-21-2018, 10:36 AM
Hi all
Looking for any options, and thanks in advance...

Setup: c6501 year2008, 4M clicks, IC-408 attached, System 8 Release 2, version 2.0, copier maintenance is properly up to date with genuine parts, based UK Sussex.
Situation: Fiery disconnected part way through print run, showing FF code on DIAG LED's, re-stared Fiery same code (as you'd expect)
Tests:
I am able to remotely connect to the fiery, so fiery BIOS is probably ok, HHD and RAM probably ok, as windowsxp is running fine.
I have cleaned out the unit, checking all cable connections and cleaning card/board connections - and still boots up afterwards :)
The Fierybar at the top of the screen is sitting at "Starting...please wait..." which suggest to me that the controller software is starting/running ok
In the Control Panel - System - hardware listing there is the classic yellow '?' against other - which seeing there is no EFI hardware listed the drivers for the controller interface board have become corrupted??
Tried the Fiery System update and got an error code 9 internal error - does this indicate anything more than it's been discontinued?

I know that the first question I will be asked is am I an Auth Engineer or end user, you can probably tell from the above that I am primarily an end user, however I have around 10 years experience of maintaining this generation of machines - which KM management authorised early on as we were getting through PM's like my kids and sweets (candy) - and like any nerd quickly progressed beyond the PM stuff to stripping life expired machines literally to their screws, and have replaced most parts on the older Bizhub c451's, c550's, c5501, c6501, of which we have seen 8 through and have three left. But know my limits and so call in the experts, although last year when we did for our c5501, it was such a school boy fix it was embarrassing lol.

However this is a software issue and believe it or not, is our first Fiery failure on our pro machines in those 10 years, and so would appreciate knowing my options.
Having read through the service manual it would lead me to suggest that for these embedded systems it will require a reloading of the entire 'System Software' - is this the case? Or seeing the OS is running is it possible to load specific files or run specific applications from the disc via a standard USB stick or Ethernet connection - as you would on a standard computer??
And if it is possible to load specific files, which ones should I, and even longer shot are they the same on the v1.1 disc - as I can't for the life of me find the v2.0 discs - doch. Although we do have an operational 308 controller on the c5501 if that helps.

I ask as if there is something I can do before calling in the professionals such as yourselves, and re-purchasing the v2.0 system software it may well lead to the decision not to mothball this machine - because is it worth the cost on a near obsolete machine - although printing fine.

Lots of verbiage I know, but most grateful for any advice.

Mark

Toxic
08-21-2018, 12:13 PM
I never see system corrupted and still can access remotely and log in to fiery system but that is not for sure that system is not corrupted anyway.
Did you try to check and reconnect cable and connectors between fiery and main body?
On main body on lcd panel controller tab is greyed out?
Also try when you are remotely logged to fiery,run task manager and check is "fiery.exe" process active and running.
In lower right corner you should see red fiery icon and is should show "ready"

raplma
08-21-2018, 12:47 PM
Hi Toxic
Thanks for replying most helpful.

Regards cables, I had checked them and their connections, your suggestion did then lead me to swap the cable for a known working one - no change, so cables likely to be ok.
Controller tab on main screen remains greyed out.
Fiery.exe process is listed and therefore assume is running, I certainly have the option to end it.
The fiery icon remains the grey lightening bolt rather than the red square and instead of 'Ready' says 'Exited'

Thanks again
Mark

Synthohol
08-21-2018, 12:59 PM
there is an option for restore factory defaults through CWS, you may give that a try before reloading system software.

Toxic
08-21-2018, 01:01 PM
Go try then to end process "fiery.exe" and then go to aplications-new task,type fiery.exe -enter
It should launch some cmd windows with executing commands.
Wait sometime till that end and check fiery icon then is it switch to "ready".
I have few times problem with this process stopping and resolve this way.
If this is not helping maybe then you must reload new system software.
You should run check disk on that fiery,maybe hdd have bad sectors.

raplma
08-21-2018, 01:37 PM
Hi Synthohol
Would that be to run csw on the fiery itself through the remote desktop, it's not currently installed, but is available on the drive? CWS on the macs is unable to connect.

Toxic,
thanks again, having ended process (tree) upon restarting it comes up with "The requested service has already been started" so I guess it is not ending fully.

I have also attached a pic which shows the hardware listing, just in case that inspires...
The pic also shows a few of the files that are available on the fiery itself, including a backup partition, which I assume is a copy of the v2.0 of the Fiery System Software, it certainly is the date when the system was updated to v2.0, just before we had the machine.
Can this backup be loaded in any way? Can I re-create the disc which ultimately can re-install the system?

Toxic
08-21-2018, 01:48 PM
CWM should be installed and run from PC, type ip adress and connect to fiery.
I never tryed to use files from backup partition because you can easy install system software over lan cable from pc or laptop or directly from usb flash connected to controller.
Hardvare listing and yellow marks is normal.

raplma
08-21-2018, 02:05 PM
Indeed
I was expecting to do it through the Ethernet route, just throwing out options as they came to mind.
Alas CWS - which for the record we run on our MAC's - is unable to see the controller, even though I can remote in.
Thanks for the confirmation on the hardware front.

Mark

Custom Search