PDA

View Full Version : Account track on Mac

Custom Search

copier addict
09-17-2018, 09:02 PM
Hey everyone.
I have set up a couple 8 series machines recently, one a C258 and one a BH308e. In both cases the customers use account track. (two different customers both with Macs) Once account track gets set up and I am trying to print from Pages there is nowhere to enter an account track password. When I click the down arrow and select "printer features" it shows account track is on, but as stated, I can't find a place to enter password.
I am sure I am missing something here, I am definitely not a Mac expert.
Any help is appreciated
Thanks.

guitar9199
09-17-2018, 09:28 PM
This is a page showing how to configure User ID/Locked Printing on a Ricoh with a Mac, but I think this should get you in the ballpark.

Good luck.

Configuring locked print and adding user code (Mac to Ricoh) | Philosophy (https://philosophy.as.uky.edu/tutorials/configuring-locked-print-and-adding-user-code-mac-ricoh)

copier addict
09-17-2018, 09:57 PM
Thanks guitar9199.
I should have mentioned if I save the document as a PDF I can enter the password and print with no problem. Also if I open the document in "Preview" it can be printed. It seems to be specific to the Mac program "Pages".

Synthohol
09-17-2018, 10:48 PM
first off, preview is the worst to print from. its crap.
just had to get that out of the way...
go into the cups and find the option for it and enter the relevant info. they may even have a popup driver that asks for the PW before it sends.
if you dont know how to check CUPS its on this site numerous times.

if you open terminal, type cupsctl WebInterface=yes
hit enter.
open a browser and go to localhost:631/printers
from there you have much more control over default settings on all your printers

guitar9199
09-17-2018, 11:00 PM
first off, preview is the worst to print from. its crap.
just had to get that out of the way...
go into the cups and find the option for it and enter the relevant info. they may even have a popup driver that asks for the PW before it sends.
if you dont know how to check CUPS its on this site numerous times.

if you open terminal, type cupsctl WebInterface=yes
hit enter.
open a browser and go to localhost:631/printers
from there you have much more control over default settings on all your printers

+1 on CUPS... Just remember the first time you make any changes, the computer is going to ask for the User ID/password..... this is the same one you use to log into the Mac you're working on. Once entered, if you need to make additional changes, you'll still be logged in.

copier addict
09-18-2018, 01:04 PM
+1 on CUPS... Just remember the first time you make any changes, the computer is going to ask for the User ID/password..... this is the same one you use to log into the Mac you're working on. Once entered, if you need to make additional changes, you'll still be logged in.

I have dealt with CUPS many times and there is nowhere to enter account track info there. You can turn account track on or off in CUPS.
If I am wrong it would be great if someone could show me where to enter account track info in CUPS
Thanks

keithxxiii
09-18-2018, 01:21 PM
see if this helps

B0265
09-18-2018, 03:24 PM
This might work:
Print from an application that allows you to enter the account track credentials and save it as a preset.
Later when you print from Pages you select this preset.

copier addict
09-19-2018, 06:37 PM
This might work:
Print from an application that allows you to enter the account track credentials and save it as a preset.

This suggestion worked great!! Thanks very much.

mincopier
09-19-2018, 11:26 PM
This might work:

This is exactly what we do. I usually use Notes to create my presets. The way the Mac menus system is for printing it seems alot easier for the customer to just choose a B&W or Color preset instead of trying to find the settings in the system.

copier addict
09-20-2018, 12:58 AM
This is exactly what we do. I usually use Notes to create my presets. The way the Mac menus system is for printing it seems alot easier for the customer to just choose a B&W or Color preset instead of trying to find the settings in the system.

Every time I start thinking Macs are okay, they find a way to prove me wrong. Lol

mincopier
09-20-2018, 02:04 AM
It's just the same old Ford vs Chevy, Android vs iPhone, etc.. All what you are used too.

mascan42
04-17-2019, 02:18 AM
Bumping this thread for a real problem. My customer has MacOS 10.14, and every application, native or not, has the new "printer features" menu that doesn't allow me to enter an account track password. As I understand it, this is part of Apple's "library validation" feature, which has been gradually expanding for the last couple of versions until 10.14 implemented it on all apps.

Since this effectively eliminates the workaround, WTF do we do now?

rrrohan
04-18-2019, 03:38 AM

upgrade to 8 series
turn off account track
tell customer to not update OS

I wonder though.
If you setup a printer share on Windows with that Mac users account track info then had the Mac user connect and use that shared printer would that help?
Would that mean the Mac is just passing on the print job to the Windows PC and then the Windows PC is taking control of passing on account track info?

B0265
04-18-2019, 10:03 AM
Bumping this thread for a real problem. My customer has MacOS 10.14, and every application, native or not, has the new "printer features" menu that doesn't allow me to enter an account track password. As I understand it, this is part of Apple's "library validation" feature, which has been gradually expanding for the last couple of versions until 10.14 implemented it on all apps.

What applications have you tried?
I checked on a Mac running 10.14.3, and from Adobe Reader DC, Word and Chrome the normal driver settings like output method, layout/finish etc was available.

mascan42
04-18-2019, 12:37 PM
What applications have you tried?
I checked on a Mac running 10.14.3, and from Adobe Reader DC, Word and Chrome the normal driver settings like output method, layout/finish etc was available.

Word and Chrome are using the Apple "printer features" setup.

B0265
04-18-2019, 01:13 PM
Word and Chrome are using the Apple "printer features" setup.

Thats strange beacuse that is not the situation on the Mac I used for test using the C308 driver.
What Mac OS version have you used?

UKTeam
04-26-2019, 01:16 PM
There's an official response document from KM on this I'm afraid.....

Mark

mascan42
04-26-2019, 02:10 PM
That's unhelpful, since A. there's still no permanent solution and B. my customer's computer did it for all installed applications, so even their workaround is useless.

That bulletin is a really long-winded shoulder shrug. Come on. That can't be the only response. Write a new driver. Come up with new firmware. There has to be a way around this.

copier addict
04-26-2019, 02:40 PM
That's unhelpful, since A. there's still no permanent solution and B. my customer's computer did it for all installed applications, so even their workaround is useless.

That bulletin is a really long-winded shoulder shrug. Come on. That can't be the only response. Write a new driver. Come up with new firmware. There has to be a way around this.

It sounds like you think this is a KonMin initiative. This is all on Apple and it is well known they don't play well with others.
Try uninstalling acrobat reader and then reinstall it. Worth a shot.

darry1322
04-26-2019, 06:35 PM

The way around it is for Apple to fix it. They broke it.

Custom Search