PDA

View Full Version : C450 slow printing from Power Point

Custom Search

B0265
09-29-2008, 11:49 AM
I just been involved in this so I don't have all details yet, but here's the problem. When printing PowerPoint files that contains som pictures it can take about 15 minutes for the machine using PCL and about 30 minutes using the PS Driver(Emperon Controller) to process a file that will take 2 minutes on a C250 or a C352. Same problem with PS and PCL driver, firmware is "K0".
Have anyone seen this before?

New information:
They have printed the test file on 2 other C450's and it works fine.
Also, if they make a pdf and print that the print time is "normal".
They have tried replacing the MPF Control Board, HDD and memory on the machine.

kmcopytech
09-29-2008, 05:52 PM
Try the following solutions:

1) Some PDF's tend to RIP slowly, especially if there are many pages of vector graphics embedded within the PDF file. A clue to this is when opening the PDF on a computer, if the images are drawn on the screen one at a time, you have vector images and the printers processor will have to do the same as the computer in order to render them. A printer with a faster processor will print these documents faster. Additional memory may provide some limited improvement.

2) Upgrade the MFP firmware to the latest available. There are often enhancements and fixes that will improve print rendering under certain conditions.

3) If the MFP has the option, change the priority device function to printer. This will give printer jobs priority processing over copying.

4) Try changing driver types between PCL and Postscript. PostScript is often a better choice for printing PDF documents, as the PDF file format is a form of PostScript. This is not a hard and fast rule, however. The RIP speed is very dependent upon the objects embedded within the file, so try both PostScript and PCL drivers.

5) Is the slowdown within the printer, or is it on the computer? To see the status on a Wiindows PC, double click the printer icon in the system tray and the print queue for that printer will open. The size of the print job will be shown in Kilobytes. The value prior to the slash indicates how much print data has processed and the value after the slash indicates what has been sent to the printer. If the value prior to the slash mark is still ticking up, and the value after the slash mark is keeping close pace, then this indicates the computer is still processing the job, and the bottle neck is at the computer. Long processing times at both the computer and printer indicate that issue #1, as described above, is likely the case.

6) Try to print the PDF file by using "Print as image" feature on Adobe® Acrobat.
a.Open PDF file to print.
b. Select "File", and then "Print".The print screen is open.
c.Click "Advanced" tab at the print screen.
d.select "Print as Image" in the advanced print setup.

7) Disable "PostScript pass-through" in the PS driver.
a) In the printing preferences of the driver, go to the advanced tab and disable postscript pass-through.
NOTE: If this is done through an applications print dialog, then the setting change will only hold for that session of the application. If the setting change is done through the printers and faxes control panel, then the setting change will be a default behavior.

Good Luck!!!

B0265
09-29-2008, 07:20 PM
Thank you for your suggestions, but the problem isn't printing pdf files. That works fine as far as I know. The problem is printing directly from PowerPoint.

pepper38_cnd
09-29-2008, 11:39 PM
Ok if I understand correctly, they can print the same document/file to two other C450's on the same network and it works fine? If all the C450's are configured exactly the same then I would look at the NIC and the network. Set the nic to 100M full duplex, if they are on a 1 Gig switch that is configurable ( most are ) set the port on the switch to the same 100M full duplex. I have seen some weird problems with 1 Gig switches, Ie: scan to email taking over 1 hour and slow printing ect..

kmcopytech
09-30-2008, 02:23 AM
Take a look at the first 5) described???

B0265
09-30-2008, 07:32 AM
Ok if I understand correctly, they can print the same document/file to two other C450's on the same network and it works fine?
The other machines are in other locations, but the have use the same laptop with a crossover cable in all locations including when making test prints to the trouble machine.
Next ting to try is the NIC ?

regalcopy
09-30-2008, 08:23 AM
try pcl driver & see file size processed.
size would be smaller than ps drivers.

pepper38_cnd
09-30-2008, 11:45 AM
The other machines are in other locations, but the have use the same laptop with a crossover cable in all locations including when making test prints to the trouble machine.
Next ting to try is the NIC ?

Since you know your laptop will print this file to other C450's without any issues. The problem must be with this C450. You have already tried changing MFP & HD. I would compare management lists from a working machine and this machine to see if there are any differences in configuration. Set the nic to 100M to rule out any switching issues. If still no solution try swapping the NIC (PWB-LAN 4037 0133 04 ).

B0265
11-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Problem solved!
After replacing the MFP Controller PWB + performing a NVRAM intialization the problem is solved.

estebandiaz
11-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Edit: wrong thread, my mistake.

WaveyDavey
11-25-2008, 12:33 PM
just reading this I was going to suggest the NV ram on its own
seen NVRam cause this before

Custom Search