PDA

View Full Version : BizHub C554 paper jam at fuser exit

Custom Search

printprocc
11-01-2018, 04:36 PM
Recently replaced the fuser unit due to degraded heat roller. Dropped in new fuser and the machine ran fine for roughly 100 clicks (letter size) then jammed at the fuser exit. Several attempts using different weight and size paper have all failed. The paper seems fine within the fuser and the image is fused properly, it just wont transfer to the next section for completion. Not getting an error code either. It seems as though the transfer section isn't being actuated but I can't really be sure.

Paul

Synthohol
11-01-2018, 06:29 PM
Sorry if I missed it, what's the actual jam code?

allan
11-01-2018, 08:21 PM
The jam code leads to a sensor that leads to clutches and motors. Will save yourself a lot of time by using the troubleshooting techniques available.

EarthKmTech
11-02-2018, 12:09 AM
Check the gray roller in the unit at the top of the side door isnt tight to turn - it destroys the clutch that drives it (inside the fusing drive unit)

You may also notice iron oxide accumulation dropping out of this clutch, visible on the fusing drive disengagement finger at the rear side of the second transfer door.

The bushings are a regular point of lubrication on all machines of this engine style, along with the registration bushings.

Fortunately the clutch is easy to change in the 554 without having to remove the fusing drive unit.

Paper will be accordion jamming at fuser exit when this is the issue.

printprocc
11-07-2018, 04:54 PM
Hi everyone,
Sorry it took so long to reply, it's been a busy week so far. Thank you for the input regarding my problem alas I have not found anything wrong yet. As was suggested by EarthKmTech I checked the gray roller and that whole mechanism and it all seems to turn fine nor do I see any iron oxide deposits anywhere. As mentioned before, I am NOT getting anything more than a paper jam indicator on the display (area 11)and the paper is accordion folded within the fuser exit area. The lead edge of the paper stops right at the point where the transfer section should be grabbing it and moving it thru but it is not.
I'm going to poke around in there a bit more and see if I can find anything but another point in the right direction would be appreciated.

printprocc
11-07-2018, 05:32 PM
Figured I would try to attach pictures...if this helps.[emoji1695]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181107/68d26592fa7b7ee2d422820d27b73ff9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181107/f438afb16ffe043e8e15001eb6f4bf54.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181107/eb8f4efb3ef9accced5787361baa748b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

tech51
11-07-2018, 05:56 PM
It’s either clutch8 or the print control board. Had both these parts cause this issue at various times.

Synthohol
11-07-2018, 06:23 PM
Since nobody turned jam codes on to display the code, please go into service mode, counter and look at the jam history.
This is key to properly helping you.

printprocc
11-08-2018, 01:12 PM
Since nobody turned jam codes on to display the code, please go into service mode, counter and look at the jam history.
This is key to properly helping you.Thx for the input! Attached is a list of the jam codes found right around the start of my problem.
32-05 exit section
75-42 fs535
30-03
9/17 is when the issue startedhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181108/297ed99fd347af828fbb8a94ea406a0a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181108/af351a13bc85c8a951afaba3960ba5ed.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181108/e7eef8250a0850857cdc154ef83bce1f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181108/a8f728a25f57a7dd32ece94b4c3709e4.jpg

3ktlc
11-08-2018, 02:13 PM
Check the registration rollers and bushings. Had a couple jamming in the fuser. Turned out to be the bushings.

printprocc
11-08-2018, 05:37 PM
Check the registration rollers and bushings. Had a couple jamming in the fuser. Turned out to be the bushings.Thank you 3ktlc! I went thru that entire section and made sure everything was moving easily and properly...I am further investigating cl8! I have a feeling that is where my troubles are but have another machine im working on that is desperately needed.

blackcat4866
11-09-2018, 12:15 AM
Thank you 3ktlc! I went thru that entire section and made sure everything was moving easily and properly...I am further investigating cl8! I have a feeling that is where my troubles are but have another machine im working on that is desperately needed.

The 30-03 is clutch CL8. Have one on hand before you disassemble. It will take a bit of work. And make sure that you change the correct clutch. There are two clutches in the exit unit. =^..^=

printprocc
11-09-2018, 02:55 PM
The 30-03 is clutch CL8. Have one on hand before you disassemble. It will take a bit of work. And make sure that you change the correct clutch. There are two clutches in the exit unit. =^..^=

4105641057Ok so this HAS to be the problem...I did find a lot of what looks like iron oxide debris so this is at least a good start. Also looks like somebody but grease all over this at some point..SMH.... I will order a clutch today and update this thread next week. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181109/9ead9f6bc7e3793753962669ff54ed46.jpg

blackcat4866
11-10-2018, 02:05 AM
Yeah. Somebody gave CL8 an oil bath once it had rusted. That always makes magnetic clutches work better (NOT!!)
=^..^=

printprocc
11-19-2018, 06:51 PM
Hello everyone. Just wanted to chime in and thank you ALL for the valuable input given. My issue was indeed cl8 and it has been replaced and the machine is up and running!
As always you've all provided exceptional insight and I am grateful!

srvctec
05-31-2019, 10:27 PM

Did my first one the other day on a C454e (the very first one in our service department, in fact) and had to take a clutch off another machine to get the customer's working. I was dreading it after reading your detailed instructions from the pdf a few weeks ago. Turns out it's really not that bad and I believe I can now do a clutch swap of CL8 in a half hour or less. I found numerous shortcuts in my initial foray into this task and several more when the new clutch I installed in the donor machine, squeaked. Had to take it apart again and learned some more valuable info to shorten the process. I wonder if I should start a thread on how to quickly replace one of these clutches. Anyway, just thought I'd throw in my .02 worth on the CL8 replacement saga.

Geez, I wish they would actually make the clutch much higher quality knowing they have issues. Even the newest clutch isn't made any better than the original one.

copyman
06-01-2019, 03:17 AM
Did my first one the other day on a C454e (the very first one in our service department, in fact) and had to take a clutch off another machine to get the customer's working. I was dreading it after reading your detailed instructions from the pdf a few weeks ago. Turns out it's really not that bad and I believe I can now do a clutch swap of CL8 in a half hour or less. I found numerous shortcuts in my initial foray into this task and several more when the new clutch I installed in the donor machine, squeaked. Had to take it apart again and learned some more valuable info to shorten the process. I wonder if I should start a thread on how to quickly replace one of these clutches. Anyway, just thought I'd throw in my .02 worth on the CL8 replacement saga.

Geez, I wish they would actually make the clutch much higher quality knowing they have issues. Even the newest clutch isn't made any better than the original one.

Yea I was thinking that clutch was going to be at least 1 hr job. Can you remember and share any of the shortcuts? Since I have more than one hundred 4 series in service I will be replacing some of these clutches sooner or later, hopefully later!
Guess I'm still spooked from the "3" series models. Dreaded working on the rear and having to take the rear cage off, then the main drive unit, etc, etc, just to replace motors. Found a few shortcuts but not many, one of my shortcuts was leaving half the screws out! Ridiculous how many screws the Japs use. Think they are still "screwing" us from WWII:rolleyes:

srvctec
06-03-2019, 08:36 PM
Yea I was thinking that clutch was going to be at least 1 hr job. Can you remember and share any of the shortcuts? Since I have more than one hundred 4 series in service I will be replacing some of these clutches sooner or later, hopefully later!
Guess I'm still spooked from the "3" series models. Dreaded working on the rear and having to take the rear cage off, then the main drive unit, etc, etc, just to replace motors. Found a few shortcuts but not many, one of my shortcuts was leaving half the screws out! Ridiculous how many screws the Japs use. Think they are still "screwing" us from WWII:rolleyes:

Check your PM. Didn't want the short, relatively easy instructions here for the whole world to see, potentially allowing someone to not hire a tech.

copytech,mike
01-03-2020, 12:19 AM
It’s either clutch8 or the print control board. Had both these parts cause this issue at various times.
Yes, its clutch cl8

tmmdmmm
04-02-2021, 02:12 AM
Check your PM. Didn't want the short, relatively easy instructions here for the whole world to see, potentially allowing someone to not hire a tech.

Can I steal that PDF from you? Had a CL8 in my car for a while and looks like I'll need it on an upcoming call. Its a 554 but figure it'll be practically the same. Expecting a ton of rust

fishleg
04-02-2021, 07:14 AM
Check the gray roller in the unit at the top of the side door isnt tight to turn - it destroys the clutch that drives it (inside the fusing drive unit)

You may also notice iron oxide accumulation dropping out of this clutch, visible on the fusing drive disengagement finger at the rear side of the second transfer door.

The bushings are a regular point of lubrication on all machines of this engine style, along with the registration bushings.

Fortunately the clutch is easy to change in the 554 without having to remove the fusing drive unit.

Paper will be accordion jamming at fuser exit when this is the issue.

What lube are you using on the bearings? Haven't really found one that lasts? My go to is a dry ptfe. I can't find anything that will take the heat of the fusing unit and the paper dust at the registration.

copytech,mike
04-02-2021, 07:24 PM
Thank you 3ktlc! I went thru that entire section and made sure everything was moving easily and properly...I am further investigating cl8! I have a feeling that is where my troubles are but have another machine im working on that is desperately needed.

I did all that and it still jams.

srvctec
04-02-2021, 09:35 PM
Can I steal that PDF from you? Had a CL8 in my car for a while and looks like I'll need it on an upcoming call. Its a 554 but figure it'll be practically the same. Expecting a ton of rust

Check your PMs.

ferro10
04-13-2021, 04:00 PM
Check your PMs.

Hello I am also experiencing the same problem on a C554E almost certainly it is the cl8 full of rust. You can pass the PDF in private thank you very much

srvctec
04-13-2021, 08:01 PM
Hello I am also experiencing the same problem on a C554E almost certainly it is the cl8 full of rust. You can pass the PDF in private thank you very much

PM sent.

ferro10
04-14-2021, 01:11 PM
Check your PMs.

thank you

kamilosio123
01-09-2023, 03:21 PM
Hello. Can I also ask for this pdf because I am waiting for the replacement of cl8 in C554e ... Thank you in advance

ferro10
01-09-2023, 04:41 PM
Hello. Can I also ask for this pdf because I am waiting for the replacement of cl8 in C554e ... Thank you in advance

I send you in private what I have

JeryNino
10-20-2023, 07:57 AM
I send you in private what I have

​Hello! Unfortunately, I have a similar problem (Few J32-05 per day) . The standard procedure for replacing the CL8 clutch makes me sad; any little help would be greatly appreciated. Could I also request a PDF? Thank you very much!

copytech,mike
10-20-2023, 03:48 PM
Recently replaced the fuser unit due to degraded heat roller. Dropped in new fuser and the machine ran fine for roughly 100 clicks (letter size) then jammed at the fuser exit. Several attempts using different weight and size paper have all failed. The paper seems fine within the fuser and the image is fused properly, it just wont transfer to the next section for completion. Not getting an error code either. It seems as though the transfer section isn't being actuated but I can't really be sure.

Paul
I cant say that i ever really totally solved this problem. Its a really horrible jam problem on all these models. Make sure you take a close look at the sensor and flag assembly inside that duplexer/turnaround unit thats mounted on the right side door. Play with it and make sure that flag isnt sticky. Its also a real bear to replace it. If your creative you can do it without ever taking that door off. Sometimes you might break the photo sensor trying to pull the connector lose and thus i always order extra flags and sensors. So far i had that flag problem (actuator black plastic) on the Biz C368 models. Also, the Biz C554 is getting to be a really old machine im thinking.

copytech,mike
10-20-2023, 03:52 PM
I cant say that i ever really totally solved this problem. Its a really horrible jam problem on all these models. Make sure you take a close look at the sensor and flag assembly inside that duplexer/turnaround unit thats mounted on the right side door. Play with it and make sure that flag isnt sticky. Its also a real bear to replace it. If your creative you can do it without ever taking that door off. Sometimes you might break the photo sensor trying to pull the connector lose and thus i always order extra flags and sensors. So far i had that flag problem (actuator black plastic) on the Biz C368 models. Also, the Biz C554 is getting to be a really old machine im thinking. Also the duplex unit on the door area is used during 1 sided copies and can still cause a jam. If you get the machine to jam at that fuser exit only making 1 copy at a time then the side door unit is probly ok. I get these fuser exit jams almost only when making multiple copies.

JeryNino
10-20-2023, 04:22 PM
Also the duplex unit on the door area is used during 1 sided copies and can still cause a jam. If you get the machine to jam at that fuser exit only making 1 copy at a time then the side door unit is probly ok. I get these fuser exit jams almost only when making multiple copies.

Thanks for your advice. Sensors and sticky flags were okay, and the fuser unit was changed last month. This machine (C258 250k) jams twice a day, and the paper stops at the rollers driven by CL8 (single side). If I unplug this clutch, the paper stops in the same place. Next week, I have a visit planned... we will see.60237

Tech09
10-20-2023, 05:05 PM
Just out of curiosity, has anyone messed with the fuser speed on your machine?

JeryNino
10-20-2023, 06:40 PM
Just out of curiosity, has anyone messed with the fuser speed on your machine?

This option didn't occur to me. I had encountered it only once on a new C250i, but on a machine that's been working for six years? However, it's true that it behaved similarly, but only when printing on a banners. I tray find some information.... thanks!

blackcat4866
10-20-2023, 09:58 PM
The clutch CL8 remains the most likely cause.

I would enjoy doing a ride along, except for the 4,282 mile commute (one-way). =^..^=

copytech,mike
10-20-2023, 10:49 PM
The clutch CL8 remains the most likely cause.

I would enjoy doing a ride along, except for the 4,282 mile commute (one-way). =^..^=

Ride along sounds great. I dont get this fuser area jam problem on any of the newest bizhubs. Only these c258 358 458 558 658 type machines. Ive replaced cl8 before and no luck but i still agree with you. Its a really ugly jam problem on these machines with no fix found so far.

Custom Search