PDA

View Full Version : PC faxing issue

Custom Search

blackcat4866
12-07-2018, 12:08 AM
Ok ... this is a truly strange one. Thayer asked for my input on this one, and I was near enough to pop in. I must have made the enduser explain it to me 5 times before I got the gist of it:

The enduser occasionally uses the PC fax driver with a bizhub C458 to transmit faxes to certain recipients. This enduser employs the built in electronic cover sheet in the fax driver to make case notes. One of these recipients complained that they could not read the case notes on the cover sheet because they were in microscopic type. All the type on the cover sheet is microscopically small. The rest of the fax transmission comes out normal sized.

The recipient is a fax server which converts the documents to PDF email attachments. As a sample, the recipient forwarded one of these attachments back to the senders email. I got to examine the PDF document. All the pages are 8 1/2" x 11" sized (initially I had thought that maybe the first page was misrepresented as ledger then reduced, but that is not the case.) Only the type on the first page is affected. The page content properly fills a letter sized page, it's just microscopically small. All other pages remain unaffected.

So there it is.
The more I think of this, the more I think it's a bug in the PC fax driver. Sorry, I don't have a version #. It's the PC fax driver that generates the electronic cover sheet, yes? How is that font selected? Has anybody seen this? =^..^=

Synthohol
12-07-2018, 12:12 AM
have they tried making another ECS? maybe the one stored is corrupt?
if they print the ECS does it look normal?

blackcat4866
12-07-2018, 12:21 AM
have they tried making another ECS? maybe the one stored is corrupt?
if they print the ECS does it look normal?

Excellent questions ... I have no answers. I'm expecting a followup call with the enduser next week. They'll be at the top of my list. =^..^=

NeoMatrix
12-07-2018, 11:17 AM
Sounds like a corrupt windows font issue. A vector graphics scaling issue.

Could the font they are using in the PC-fax software be changed to other font type, just for a test.

Have the customer check their windows fonts directory an open each font set to see if each font set displays correctly.
c:\windows\fonts\
Double click each icon to open each font type.

Is the problem with just one PC, or from all PC's with the same PC-Fax ware ?

HTH

Bix
12-07-2018, 11:29 AM
Can you print as an image? :cool:

bsm2
12-07-2018, 12:00 PM
Try changing the font used

blackcat4866
12-07-2018, 01:53 PM
Sounds like a corrupt windows font issue. A vector graphics scaling issue.

Could the font they are using in the PC-fax software be changed to other font type, just for a test.

Have the customer check their windows fonts directory an open each font set to see if each font set displays correctly.
c:\windows\fonts\
Double click each icon to open each font type.

Is the problem with just one PC, or from all PC's with the same PC-Fax ware ?

HTH

Yes, I can check the on-board fonts. I don't know what font is selected or if it can be changed without more indepth programming skills than I have.

I do not know how many users have the fax driver, or what versions (more questions for next week).

Can you print as an image? :cool:

Do you mean to print an image of the electronic cover page? I believe that may be an option in the fax driver (another question for next week).

Try changing the font used

Same as above: Is it selectable, and how?
=^..^=

allan
12-07-2018, 02:01 PM
Would make sense that it would be from the fax driver, or a font problem. Not something you would come across every day.
Curious to know what the fix would be.

blackcat4866
12-07-2018, 02:06 PM
I don't know how pertinent it is, but this PC has very few on-board applications, and probably not many fonts either. Most of the applications are internet based. =^..^=

copier addict
12-07-2018, 03:26 PM
If it is only this one recipient having the problem, I would suspect it is an issue with how the fax server is reproducing the cover.
Have you had the customer send you a fax with the cover? If so, is it reproduced properly?

blackcat4866
12-08-2018, 02:05 AM
If it is only this one recipient having the problem, I would suspect it is an issue with how the fax server is reproducing the cover.
Have you had the customer send you a fax with the cover? If so, is it reproduced properly?

Another excellent question. =^..^=

blackcat4866
12-09-2018, 04:43 PM
Alright, so here's the plan. Next time onsite I will:

1) Print the Electronic Cover Sheet, does it look normal? If possible print-to-file, then examine the .prn file to see which font/size is selected.
2) Send fax with ECS to the office, how does it look?
3) Check PC fonts directory for font designated in 1)

I like having a plan. =^..^=

tsbservice
12-09-2018, 05:17 PM
Sounds like with little help a 90% are covered Sir.
Good luck for other tenth.

NeoMatrix
12-09-2018, 09:33 PM
Alright, so here's the plan. Next time onsite I will:

1) Print the Electronic Cover Sheet, does it look normal? If possible print-to-file, then examine the .prn file to see which font/size is selected.
2) Send fax with ECS to the office, how does it look?
3) Check PC fonts directory for font designated in 1)

I like having a plan. =^..^=

Me too. I like having a plan. My plan is to win a major draw in Gold Lotto, that way I'll never have to plan again.;):):cool:

Custom Search