PDA

View Full Version : PF-707 with that great sound effect

Custom Search

blackcat4866
12-19-2018, 01:06 AM
I've got a PF-707 mated to a bizhub 1052 that has 10M clicks, most of which came from tray #3. When it feeds from tray #3 you get that great farting sound. It does not jam.

I've changed plenty of those PF-707 suction belts, but usually because they are split, tangled, ripped, tracked off center, coated with NCR coating, etc. These belts look fine though, even at their advanced copy count. The clutches usually rust before this, but usually cause jamming ... and there is no jamming.

I've ordered the belts, clutch, and suction fans. I think either the belts are stretched and slipping on the pulleys, or maybe the suction fans are stalling when paper covers the holes in the belt. Can anybody confirm either of those two theories? =^..^=

Flash
12-19-2018, 11:07 PM
I always assumed it was from the paper fluttering when it was trying to feed. Try adjusting the air assist and make sure the side guides are not too tight.

blackcat4866
12-21-2018, 11:45 AM
A more patient person might have installed first the belts, then reassembled to test. Then the clutch and reassembled to test. Then the fans and reassembled to test. But I'm just not patient enough to do the job three times, when I could do it once.

The new belts were a little thicker and not as smooth as the old ones. Maybe 4,428,789 pieces of paper had something to do with that. The clutch was a little rusty as you might expect it to be, not horrible. Now the fans ... The bottom one had quite a lot of red paper dust in it, maybe throwing the squirrel cage off balance? I'm going to blame the fans.

At any rate its perfectly quiet now. =^..^=

tsbservice
12-21-2018, 06:45 PM
Sounds like air path/debit reduction causes this great effect. As machine counter is high, changing all these parts wouldn't hurt.

blackcat4866
12-27-2018, 01:18 AM
One correction: It's a PF-703 on the 1052, and there are some differences in the suction feed unit, but the belts are now updated to the PF-707 suction belts, and the fans and clutches are the same type.

One confirmation: On the adjoining machine with 3.5M on tray #3, I removed only suction fans and banged out about 1/2 cup of orange paper dust (Christmas red and yellow). It became very quiet, so it's definitely the squirrel cages collecting paper dust, possibly thrown off balance.

The old suction fans will eventually get put to good use. =^..^=

wjurls
12-28-2018, 03:32 AM
I only have one PF-703 with a flatulance problem. I suspect it's just the belts fluttering from the vacuum. It typically heaves a really long one before it starts feeding the first sheet. Then it will just groan upon individual sheet feed and eventually quiets itself down.

blackcat4866
01-04-2019, 11:59 PM
I quieted down the third and fourth one today. Again paper dust in the suction fans. These were PF-707's. The fans are the same but one of the nuts is hidden between the metal and plastic housings. It takes a little ingenuity to get to it, and hold the nut in place with hemostats without completely disassembling the belt assy. This enduser uses much better quality paper ... 3.5M pages before it began it's flatulence. The paper dust had a much different quality: instead of fluff balls it was more like staticy needles of paper dust in interesting field lines configurations. Maybe the high gloss 300gsm media?

In the future, I'll be banging out these fans every time I remove the belt assy. It only takes a few additional minutes once the belt assy is out. =^..^=

Custom Search