PDA

View Full Version : All Bizhub C224e through C754e All printing Full Color when Auto Color is selected

Custom Search

captainrva
01-09-2019, 01:35 PM
I have a customer who noticed their auto color job (1 color page, 7 black pages) was only adding to the full color counter and not the black counter. I opened their job and sent it to a c552 and it prints correctly with 1 color and 7 black but when I send it to any 4e series machine (like the customers), it prints as all color. I have even made new documents in different programs with the same result. I have tried post script and PCL drivers to no avail.

This is too big of a flaw for konica not to have a fix but I can't seem to find one. Any ideas?

qbert69
01-09-2019, 01:44 PM
I have a customer who noticed their auto color job (1 color page, 7 black pages) was only adding to the full color counter and not the black counter. I opened their job and sent it to a c552 and it prints correctly with 1 color and 7 black but when I send it to any 4e series machine (like the customers), it prints as all color. I have even made new documents in different programs with the same result. I have tried post script and PCL drivers to no avail.

This is too big of a flaw for konica not to have a fix but I can't seem to find one. Any ideas?Do you have a choice in the driver to print black as true black and not process black??? What program was the document generated with???? Adobe? Make sure blacks are ABSOLUTELY BLACK!!![emoji41]

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

captainrva
01-09-2019, 02:20 PM
Do you have a choice in the driver to print black as true black and not process black??? What program was the document generated with???? Adobe? Make sure blacks are ABSOLUTELY BLACK!!![emoji41]

The original document is an Adobe Indesign file but also a PDF and all text is set to true black (c=0 m=0 y=0 k=100). I have created a test document with one word in black and it prints as color as well. In the output, text as black is checked. The document prints correctly to a C552 and when I use the same settings for the C364e, it is printing it as full color.

allan
01-09-2019, 02:21 PM
Retraction hammers the machine the transfer belt runs and the color drums are running even if only the cover page is in color adding lost of difficulty to bill correctly, then K cost per copy must be increased. So the machine must stay in one mode for at least a couple of cycles before stopping and starting. Imagine if the transfer retraction and the drum and dev drives must stop every second cycle. Add an additional counter to subtract the cost per copy for the toner not used?

So in practice those color parts was in use even if its black and white..
So there is some settings like. Enjoy a slower machine.

JR2ALTA
01-09-2019, 02:25 PM
Make sure the machine and driver are running the same function version.

CopierNerd
01-09-2019, 02:31 PM
Retraction hammers the machine the transfer belt runs and the color drums are running even if only the cover page is in color adding lost of difficulty to bill correctly, then K cost per copy must be increased. So the machine must stay in one mode for at least a couple of cycles before stopping and starting. Imagine if the transfer retraction and the drum and dev drives must stop every second cycle. Add an additional counter to subtract the cost per copy for the toner not used?

So in practice those color parts was in use even if its black and white..
So there is some settings like. Enjoy a slower machine.

Superb! explained very well!
End of Discussion!

qbert69
01-09-2019, 02:33 PM
The original document is an Adobe Indesign file but also a PDF and all text is set to true black (c=0 m=0 y=0 k=100). I have created a test document with one word in black and it prints as color as well. In the output, text as black is checked. The document prints correctly to a C552 and when I use the same settings for the C364e, it is printing it as full color.

41406Bottom left corner of the print screen..."setup" which should actually go into the print driver settings...there might be something there you're missing. As far as Adobe goes, you can have some weird settings overrides when multi-layer control is involved!!![emoji849]

allan
01-09-2019, 02:36 PM
k=255?

qbert69
01-09-2019, 02:39 PM
k=255?255 is the D-Max amount when your adjusting levels...I know in photoshop, but this is indesign....hard to see the low resolution screenshot!!![emoji849]

captainrva
01-09-2019, 03:24 PM
Make sure the machine and driver are running the same function version.

The C364e is Function Version 7. The driver doesn't show a "function version" but the driver version is 5.3.0. The firmware is G20-M1 which says function version 7.

captainrva
01-09-2019, 03:28 PM
Bottom left corner of the print screen..."setup" which should actually go into the print driver settings...there might be something there you're missing. As far as Adobe goes, you can have some weird settings overrides when multi-layer control is involved!!![emoji849]

There is nothing in the setup (preferences) other than auto color, full color , grayscale really. The settings are identical to the ones I use on the C552 that prints correctly.

copier addict
01-09-2019, 03:50 PM
There is nothing in the setup (preferences) other than auto color, full color , grayscale really. The settings are identical to the ones I use on the C552 that prints correctly.

Maybe you have the wrong driver. On my 4e series drivers there are colour settings of Auto colour, Grey scale, and 2 colour. There is no Full colour choice.

captainrva
01-09-2019, 04:28 PM
Maybe you have the wrong driver. On my 4e series drivers there are colour settings of Auto colour, Grey scale, and 2 colour. There is no Full colour choice.

On my PCL 5.3.0 driver (latest) it says 2-color, but my post script 5.1.2 driver (latest), it says full color

captainrva
01-09-2019, 05:38 PM
I just set up a word document and it printed with auto color correctly. I saved it as a PDF from word and that printed correctly. I set up a new Indesign document and did a preflight to pick up any color and checked the separations for color and there is none but when I print with the same settings....Auto color still adds to color meter. It makes me think it has to be an Adobe issue now but why does it work fine on non 4e machines?

I also placed the word document PDF that worked, into a new indesign file and it printed as color on the c364e even after passing the separations and preflight check. It printed as black on c552.

I also swapped the driver of the c552 into the c364e and it still printed as color.

allan
01-09-2019, 05:48 PM
Have a look at the problem job and inspect the text with a magnifier to see if it contain color dots.

qbert69
01-09-2019, 06:29 PM
Have a look at the problem job and inspect the text with a magnifier to see if it contain color dots.ColorPic
ColorPic, The Windows Color Picker Software Tool (http://www.iconico.com/colorpic/)

captainrva
01-09-2019, 06:30 PM
Have a look at the problem job and inspect the text with a magnifier to see if it contain color dots.

I don't see any color dots in the black text but I do see red and blue on the outsides of the black text with my magnifier that was a cheap lime green plastic thing. I tried a clear magnifier but it didn't zoom in that good but I could still see a hint of color on the very edge of the text.

I did see yellow dots when I zoomed in with my phone but only on the paper.

tsbservice
01-09-2019, 06:33 PM
From manual if using PCL driver.
When you open the [Quality] tab and set the [Select Color] to [Auto Color], the image is automatically converted into gray scale and printed if the RGB values of the original are below the thresholds you have set. On the [Other] tab, check the [Convert to Gray Scale] box and set the threshold (the differential RGB values to be converted into gray scale).
Play a bit with threshold value.

captainrva
01-09-2019, 07:03 PM
From manual if using PCL driver.
When you open the [Quality] tab and set the [Select Color] to [Auto Color], the image is automatically converted into gray scale and printed if the RGB values of the original are below the thresholds you have set. On the [Other] tab, check the [Convert to Gray Scale] box and set the threshold (the differential RGB values to be converted into gray scale).
Play a bit with threshold value.

This worked great for the PCL driver but the option doesn't seem to exist for Post Script.
I need a Post Script solution for the macbook users and for post script drivers in general for these 4e series.

allan
01-09-2019, 07:10 PM
I don't see any color dots in the black text but I do see red and blue on the outsides of the black text with my magnifier that was a cheap lime green plastic thing. I tried a clear magnifier but it didn't zoom in that good but I could still see a hint of color on the very edge of the text.

The color dots means full color so i agree with you that if from other applications the counter works fine an adobe setting is the problem.
There where you could adjust (0,0,0,100) try making that value 255 not sure about AI settings...

Know that makes no sense i just try every thing.

Any color dots on the MSword job?

captainrva
01-09-2019, 07:25 PM
The color dots means full color so i agree with you that if from other applications the counter works fine an adobe setting is the problem.
There where you could adjust (0,0,0,100) try making that value 255 not sure about AI settings...

Know that makes no sense i just try every thing.

Any color dots on the MSword job?

Can't set black over 100 (error: value must be between 0-100)

No yellow spots on word document

I'd like to think it was just an Adobe issue but the fact that it prints perfectly to a C552 is puzzling.

JR2ALTA
01-09-2019, 07:39 PM

Those yellow spots are likely hidden machine identifiers.

Machine Identification Code - Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_Identification_Code)

captainrva
01-09-2019, 08:49 PM
Those yellow spots are likely hidden machine identifiers.

Machine Identification Code - Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_Identification_Code)

I figured they were something like that.

I tried to go into Service mode to look for Engine FW Dipswitch but can't find it on a c364e.

allan
01-09-2019, 09:05 PM
I figured they were something like that.

I tried to go into Service mode to look for Engine FW Dipswitch but can't find it on a c364e.

Enter service mode then go to enhanced security mode there you will find the setting.
Enter service mode then stop 0 clear.

captainrva
01-09-2019, 09:23 PM
Enter service mode then go to enhanced security mode there you will find the setting.
Enter service mode then stop 0 clear.

Oh, I see, it says "Enhanced Security" at the top...I don't see the Engine FW dipswitch though.

I guess the FW dipswitch doesn't really matter too much because I don't see these settings changing the Post Script drivers threshold any.

captainrva
01-11-2019, 04:12 PM
I was able to get around this issue with the PS driver but I had to export to b&w pdf's, open in photoshop as grayscale, save and then place each page back into a new indesign document and then paste in the color page. Just doesn't make sense why it works fine on older machines.

qbert69
01-11-2019, 04:20 PM
I was able to get around this issue with the PS driver but I had to export to b&w pdf's, open in photoshop as grayscale, save and then place each page back into a new indesign document and then paste in the color page. Just doesn't make sense why it works fine on older machines.Does just a standard .txt document file with black text count a black click correctly??? If so, it sounds like it boils down to Adobe and how color space is managed and passed on to the driver and therefore counted. I had a similar issue at a lawyer's office that was using Wordperfect...the software actually overrode the print driver, so even if the system default was black, the Wordperfect setting for color actually overrode the system driver default!!! ANNOYING!!![emoji35]

captainrva
01-14-2019, 08:21 PM
Does just a standard .txt document file with black text count a black click correctly??? If so, it sounds like it boils down to Adobe and how color space is managed and passed on to the driver and therefore counted. I had a similar issue at a lawyer's office that was using Wordperfect...the software actually overrode the print driver, so even if the system default was black, the Wordperfect setting for color actually overrode the system driver default!!! ANNOYING!!![emoji35]

Yes, a standard .txt or .doc file prints correctly. Did you ever find a fix for your wordperfect issue?

qbert69
01-14-2019, 08:27 PM
Yes, a standard .txt or .doc file prints correctly. Did you ever find a fix for your wordperfect issue?...set the default to print in black in WordPerfect settings...no other way about it!!![emoji849]

captainrva
01-15-2019, 06:51 PM
I have been working with the Adobe community to try to resolve this as well and the conclusion there is that the Print Driver/Printer is converting the black to 4 color. I Can do Output previews and it shows as pure black and no CMY at all but if I hit print....Color click under auto color. I started a ticket with Konica last week so I will follow up with that today.

Note: I am now testing this on a C658 and having the exact same issue.

tsbservice
01-15-2019, 07:20 PM
I have been working with the Adobe community to try to resolve this as well and the conclusion there is that the Print Driver/Printer is converting the black to 4 color. I Can do Output previews and it shows as pure black and no CMY at all but if I hit print....Color click under auto color. I started a ticket with Konica last week but have heard absolutely nothing back yet.

Note: I am now testing this on a C658 and having the exact same issue.

To me it looks like you are doing terrific job.
Thank you and keep us informed.

captainrva
01-23-2019, 09:42 PM
It finally prints properly!

Here's what I think did it:

1. Installed FW A5C10Y0-F000-G20-M0 (Has fix for auto-color issue but needed more help)
2. Change Software Switch 59 to hex 01 (Makes the Engine FW DipSW setting button appear in Enhanced Security screen in service mode)
3. Select #25 in the Engine FW Dipswitch settings (ACS parameter: sets the black printing quantity threshold until switching the transfer belt from all press to K press when a few pages of black printingis included in color printing)
4. Indesign Print Setting: Output color = Composite Leave Unchanged
5. Indesign Preference: Appearance of Black = Output all blacks accurately

On the 8 series, I did steps 2-5 and it worked as well.

Custom Search