PDA

View Full Version : 8031 and Fiery X3e problems

Custom Search

busby42
10-01-2008, 05:10 PM
Hi,

I bought a 8031 with Fiery X3e used, through an auction, got around 303k meter count on it. Only had it a month, but recently, I have had a few problems and I've tried finding someone who can help but not having much luck, hopefully someone here has an idea what I can do next!!

1. problem with the touch panel (not working, part working or pressing on the right side and getting something on the left side selected!)
2. when the machine goes into powersave mode it switches off rather than powersaves
3. Fiery regularly crashes, sometimes I get a "RIP" message on screen and "busy" when I check status, sometimes it just disappears totally. When I restart the machine and the fiery via the power switch, I lose all my settings and have to start again (which is a problem if the touch panel is not working!)

The fiery problem only seemed to start after I reset to factory default, the panel problems started after the copier was moved to fit data cabling. I am running the machine on network as my only printer/copier for now.

Any ideas? The small usage I got from this machine impressed me but I really don't know what to do next!

Many thanks in advance.
Sam

ni311
10-01-2008, 05:57 PM
First of all, try to fix the touch panel or change it if needed. Second, you should power off the Fiery only after you shutted down from the menu (when the message "It's now safe to..." shows on the display). Are you doing this? If yes but still you're loosing data, try to re-write the OS on Fiery.

busby42
10-01-2008, 06:10 PM
Hey, thanks for the very quick reply!

I had someone (non-Konica guy) look at the touch panel, he opened it fixed something and thinks it is fine, I assume I really am looking for a new panel huh? Where can I get one in the UK or shipped in?

Regarding the Fiery, I haven't been going through the menu, that was my mistake, will this save all my settings? Will this solve the crashing/RIP messages or have I damaged it to the point of reinstall?

Thanks again
Sam

pepper38_cnd
10-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Your touch panel may have simply required recalibration, attached are the instructions for doing so. With the Fiery issue I would really recommend having a qualified person diagnose it, before jumping into a firmware reload your self.

busby42
10-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the help so far,

I have got the panel sorted and had the fiery replaced with one from another copier and all seems to have been running well...

I am now facing an error message "Cover Open Right 31C-M", can anyone shed some light? The copier works fine, the 31C-M tells me this is the Fiery again, but I cannot shut down the Fiery, I have done a 'hard' reboot by turning off and on again but I get no Fiery status on the control panel, as if it is not there, I cannot connect to the Fiery either. This happened when I was cleaning rollers and had the duplex door open.

Thanks again!

busby42
10-21-2008, 05:36 PM
Hi again, further to my last post,

The cover open message has now gone - I switched everything off, checked cables, opened and closed everything! However...

Although I have a replaced Fiery, I am still getting a "RIP" message on the copier and a busy message on the print menu, I get no response to selecting "cancel job" or "MENU" on the panel. Can anyone help please?

Is it something in my set up? I have been through everything I can find on the web and the nearest I get is the "busy" message might come up if there is too much traffic on the network, could this be a network or settings problem?

Should I be thinking of a new copier/printer?!

Thanks again, Sam

cobiray
10-21-2008, 11:20 PM
Are the files you are sending to it very large? Are they Quark or some other type of file with multiple files in it? I've seen the RIP time for these to be slow even with the newer machines. If you open the print queue is the file size still counting up? It's also possible that you have had two Fiery's with failing HHD's. This is an even better possibility if the machines had a past history of "hard shutdowns." In my opinion, the HDD's in this model of Fiery seemed to be very suseptable to failure. You might want to have the HDD replaced before you buy a new machine. These were pretty reliable, profuced quality color and nearly always went to yield on parts. Please understand that replacing the HDD will require the OS to be reloaded for the Fiery to work.

pepper38_cnd
10-22-2008, 01:58 AM
I don't know if this applies but you may want to check it out.

busby42
10-23-2008, 04:23 PM
Hi cobiray and pepper38,

Thanks again for the responses. I will try the MS print spooler service, I have been printing to the copier from mine and others' laptops (would it be worth having a separate PC between users and the Fiery?).

If it comes to replacing the HDD, is this something a non-tech person like me could do, if so are there instructions you could direct me to (eg what HDD and software files)? Could it also be the memory? Just seems I am adding to the damage by having to hard start the Fiery each time this occurs.

I seem to be having trouble finding Konica support and parts for the 8031 here in the UK!

Sam

cobiray
10-23-2008, 11:11 PM
The Fiery is a print server itself, so I don't see any advantage to running another PC btween it and the network. Unless you are considering sharing the print driver from a single PC and not directly printing. If you are using PCL drivers, make sure everyone is using the same PCL driver (I.E. PCL 5e or PCL 6 and not both). I have seen the PCL drivers conflict with each other on a single printer even when on a print server.

As far as a DIY replacement on the hard drive, I wouldn't recommend it. It's a major pain in the @$$ even for technicians. You will have to download and install a parallel port accelerator, the directions for loading the software and the files for writing. I doubt any authorized dealers will just give you the files, but I could be wrong. The problem could be with the memory, but I've seen many more failed drives than memory. Hard reboots can damage the drive on the Fiery. If you haven't tried, you can attempt to reboot through the web interface. Input the IP address of the machine in your internet browser and click on the Fiery button on the left. There is a reboot option on the Fiery portion of the browser interface. The interface does require a JAVA interface for your browser (free download). This would be the prefered way to reboot if the control panel is unreponsive to commands.

If you can't find someone to work on it, tell them it's a Minolta C3102. The machines are identical except for the badges.

busby42
10-25-2008, 04:05 PM
OK,

I have checked spoolsv is running on the user's machines, haven't been able to check one of them but it is running on the others (checked via task manager).

I have left the copier for a couple of days now and it still has not reappeared on my network. I cannot access it via the browser or webtools either, it is as if it is not connected to the network at all. It is not appearing in my router either.

Having turned the copier off and on again (but not the Fiery), the printer/Fiery status bar has disappeared, again looking like it is not on or connected.

I am using LPR port (in windows xp) for printing and setting the print queue name to "print", i.e. 192.168.16.5:print, I think another machine may be using standard TCP/IP which I will check.

My driver is version "Fiery X3e 31C-M PS v2.0" which I downloaded. Could this be a driver or postscript problem? Could it be something wrong in my setup options in the copier?

I plan to 'hard' reboot the Fiery today as I cannot do anything without being able to access it. If it turns out to be the HDD, do you know if it is possible to buy a pre-configured one which I can install? My last option is to call out Konica, but I can't help feeling this is a network/driver/setup issue unless these symptoms really do suggest a failed HDD.

Cobiray, you mention the CF3102 is the same machine, does this apply to parts (like imaging unit, toners) and also the Fiery? Is it possible to replace the Fiery with a different model or are they specific to the copier?

Phew, long post, but thank you to both again for all your help on this one! I'm surprised more people haven't been having the same problem!

Sam

pepper38_cnd
10-25-2008, 05:50 PM
Busby

If you decide you need it I can privide you with a new Fujisu 40G HD with The Fiery Xe3+ V2.0 System Code preloaded.

Main Page @ myprintcontroler.bravehost.com - A Bravenet.com Hosted Site (http://myprintcontroler.bravehost.com/)

busby42
10-27-2008, 09:57 PM
I have posted my latest configuration sheet if this helps

pepper38_cnd
10-27-2008, 10:43 PM
busby

Thanks for posting the config sheet. If you are printing from Windows worstation directly the port should be a Standard tc/ip port configured to print RAW port 9100 and you must Enable Port 9100 on your Fiery. Under Service Setup.

busby42
11-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Pepper38,

I think you clocked it! I changed the settings as suggested and (touch wood) it has stood without crashing for nearly a week.

It has raised a couple of other issues (slow spooling when printing and failing to print some pdf documents) but I have seen posts on these elsewhere.

Thank you for your help, I will send you a private message too, it still may be worth knowing what you can offer on the pre-loaded HD.

Sam

pepper38_cnd
11-06-2008, 02:23 AM
The last issues you mentioned may be driver related.

If you still think it may be a setting in your fiery let me know and I will see if I can get a config sheet from 1 of my customers that has been working without issues and you can compare it to yours. Staring at those config sheets even the most obvious things can be invisible to me if I don't have a know good one to compare it to.

Custom Search