PDA

View Full Version : Riso FR3950 problem

Custom Search

nervously
01-23-2019, 08:44 PM
Hello there,
I recently purchased an old Riso FR3950 with a couple of color drums. Unfortunately the prints come out very "fuzzy" on the sides of the A3 paper. It is the same problem with all of the color drums. I already removed and cleaned the screen and then soaked a cloth with WD40 and let it sit on the drum for several hours. But it didn't have any effect.

Someone told me the pressure roller might have to be replaced... what do you think? Is this problem familiar to anybody here?

Attached there is a picture of the printing result...

All the best from Cologne,
Christian

Phil B.
01-23-2019, 09:17 PM
Hello there,
I recently purchased an old Riso FR3950 with a couple of color drums. Unfortunately the prints come out very "fuzzy" on the sides of the A3 paper. It is the same problem with all of the color drums. I already removed and cleaned the screen and then soaked a cloth with WD40 and let it sit on the drum for several hours. But it didn't have any effect.
Someone told me the pressure roller might have to be replaced... what do you think? Is this problem familiar to anybody here?
Attached there is a picture of the printing result...
All the best from Cologne,
Christian

WD40? WTF? use Simple Green on ANY ink based life form... WD40 is oil.. wont break up the ink.

Woxner
01-24-2019, 01:55 AM
replace the press roller.

nervously
01-24-2019, 09:31 AM
WD40? WTF? use Simple Green on ANY ink based life form... WD40 is oil.. wont break up the ink.

Hmmm. I've never seen Simple Green over here in Germany. Maybe Turpentine-oil? (It's called terpentine here) or benzine?

nervously
01-24-2019, 11:51 AM
replace the press roller.

Thank you. OK. I'll try this. I just ordered a new roller from Aliexpress. Couldn't find any original RISO Roller on ebay or amazon...

I hope the China-one has a reasonable quality.

Nevertheless I'l try to disassemble the drum and clean the interior as well...

nervously
01-28-2019, 08:13 PM
I didn't manage to remove the metal drum, because the three screws at the back of the drum were just too tight.
Nevertheless I removed and cleaned the screen and wrapped the drum in a turpentine-soaked cloth.

The strange borders are still there. So I think it really is the press roller. Now I have to wait for the thing to arrive from China ;-)

Here is a picture of the print image after cleaning the drum... It's a blue drum, which is being changed to neonpink. And the color change isn't 100% done yet.

Phil B.
01-28-2019, 08:21 PM
so you used turpentine.. did that get the ink off ( doubtful ) most inks are WATER based.. NOT oil Based.

what do you terp on? OIL BASED PAINTS!

use the proper cleaner for the job!

Hell Windex would have done more.

Phil B.
01-28-2019, 08:30 PM
I didn't manage to remove the metal drum, because the three screws at the back of the drum were just too tight.
Nevertheless I removed and cleaned the screen and wrapped the drum in a turpentine-soaked cloth.

The strange borders are still there. So I think it really is the press roller. Now I have to wait for the thing to arrive from China ;-)

Here is a picture of the print image after cleaning the drum... It's a blue drum, which is being changed to neonpink. And the color change isn't 100% done yet.

Do you have the service manual? NO? GET IT!!! Dont half ass the job ..strip it downn clean it out .. reassemble test... cutting corners leads to more corners
d

nervously
01-28-2019, 08:33 PM
But the riso ink is oil based. And yes, the turpentine really cleaned off the ink very well.

so you used turpentine.. did that get the ink off ( doubtful ) most inks are WATER based.. NOT oil Based.

what do you terp on? OIL BASED PAINTS!

use the proper cleaner for the job!

Hell Windex would have done more.

nervously
01-28-2019, 08:43 PM
I do have the service manual. But as I said, the three little hexagon bolts were just too tight. I already bent the allen key and using mkre force would have destroyed the scree thread.
But there really is no old ink clogging inside. I know that, because the drum was blue at first and had the same oattern as it has now that it is pink. Furthermore the pattern is the same on ALL of my drums It would be strange, if the ink would clog the same way in all drums, wouldn't it?

Do you have the service manual? NO? GET IT!!! Dont half ass the job ..strip it downn clean it out .. reassemble test... cutting corners leads to more corners
d

Phil B.
01-28-2019, 08:53 PM
I do have the service manual. But as I said, the three little hexagon bolts were just too tight. I already bent the allen key and using mkre force would have destroyed the scree thread.
But there really is no old ink clogging inside. I know that, because the drum was blue at first and had the same oattern as it has now that it is pink. Furthermore the pattern is the same on ALL of my drums It would be strange, if the ink would clog the same way in all drums, wouldn't it?

Having being trained on the Ricoh dups ( same as riso and standard ) 1) it is veggie based oil NOT petro based. 2) those units take longer to service *most calls* -=if=- done properly. Simple Green cleaner cleans veggie oils..sharpie marks... ink pen. YOU MUST TAKE YOUR TIME on service calls. They are NOT like a laser based form. Very MESSY and very time consuming... but fuck YOU'RE THE FUCKING EXPERT.. MY 31+YEARS DON'T MEAN SHIT...
h

nervously
01-28-2019, 09:09 PM
Sorry man, I didn't mean to insult your expertise. I'm a newbee in the riso world and it is just a hobby for me.

But I read o another thread that people use anything from diesel, wd40 to petrol to clean the drums. And I have to say that the turpentine really did dissolve the dried ink.

Nevertheless I'm going to look for Simple Green... Hopefully I can buy it somewhere over here.

And for the tight hexahon bolts .. Do you have a tip? Shall I use Wd 40 ob them? Because I really cannot loosen them.

Having being trained on the Ricoh dups ( same as riso and standard ) 1) it is veggie based oil NOT petro based. 2) those units take longer to service *most calls* -=if=- done properly. Simple Green cleaner cleans veggie oils..sharpie marks... ink pen. YOU MUST TAKE YOUR TIME on service calls. They are NOT like a laser based form. Very MESSY and very time consuming... but fuck YOU'RE THE FUCKING EXPERT.. MY 31+YEARS DON'T MEAN SHIT...
h

Phil B.
01-28-2019, 09:29 PM
Sorry man, I didn't mean to insult your expertise. I'm a newbee in the riso world and it is just a hobby for me.
But I read o another thread that people use anything from diesel, wd40 to petrol to clean the drums. And I have to say that the turpentine really did dissolve the dried ink.
Nevertheless I'm going to look for Simple Green... Hopefully I can buy it somewhere over here.
And for the tight hexahon bolts .. Do you have a tip? Shall I use Wd 40 ob them? Because I really cannot loosen them.

PETROL BASED cleaner can EAT PLASTIC! THAT'S WHY all service manual specify where things like that can be used...

stuck bolts/nuts PB BLASTER... i don't use WD40 for shit! much better products on the market...
for lube use TRIFLOW 'Teflon infused'

20gaugeO/U
02-12-2019, 10:23 PM
From what I remember Riso put a dab of Loctite on those 3 screws, have you tried tightening the screw a hair to break the seal? Or tap the allen wrench with a hammer to break the seal... I never had one of those screws break so I wouldn't worry about that (but there is always a first). The true L shaped wrench will work better than a multi tool one with all the sizes attached.

Hope this helps but you are working on a dinosaur there...

Custom Search