PDA

View Full Version : C654e data overwrite

Custom Search

nathicana
01-29-2019, 01:03 AM
I have a Bizhub C654e going to lease return. Is it safe to run Overwrite all data?

This is the one where there are 8 choices for the type of overwrite.

I want the machine to work afterwards without needing firmware loading or formatting.

Phil B.
01-29-2019, 01:09 AM
I have a Bizhub C654e going to lease return. Is it safe to run Overwrite all data?
I want the machine to work afterwards without needing firmware loading or formatting.

when I send lease units back... print the service reports... do the full security.. the new leaser will be responsible for reload

copier tech
01-29-2019, 06:50 AM

No issues or you can just unset or format the HDD in CE mode.

Phil B.
01-29-2019, 07:11 AM

trying to understand....

UNSET does that WIPE the drive? what if it is left in THAT unit.. then fired back up.. can the controller pick up the old format kernel * like a PC IDE HDD on auto-detect*

wouldn't that bring back the info on the HDD or does it do a wipe during the unset process?

hence the whole legal/HIPPA reason for wipe/destroy the HDD

still trying to understand THAT process

tsbservice
01-29-2019, 07:17 AM
I was reading somewhere that Overwrite All Data is KM recommendation in such cases.
I found it and it can be used when machine is going to be discarded or use of a leased machine is terminated at the end of contract.

B0265
01-29-2019, 08:11 AM

If you run the overwrite you will need to format the HDD before using the MFP again.
The process also wipes out things like job logs and network settings.

copier tech
01-29-2019, 08:23 AM
trying to understand....

UNSET does that WIPE the drive? what if it is left in THAT unit.. then fired back up.. can the controller pick up the old format kernel * like a PC IDE HDD on auto-detect*

wouldn't that bring back the info on the HDD or does it do a wipe during the unset process?

The Bizhubs dont use the hdd to boot up etc, so even of you were to remove the hdd it will boot up copy & print. You could also fit the drive to a usb caddy fotmat the drive & refit.

Phil B.
01-29-2019, 08:30 AM
The Bizhubs dont use the hdd to boot up etc, so even of you were to remove the hdd it will boot up copy & print. You could also fit the drive to a usb caddy fotmat the drive & refit.

well thanks you 'splained that one Lucy' THANKS!

B0265
01-29-2019, 09:11 AM
trying to understand....

Formatting the HDD only deletes the partition table so it still might be able to retreive some data if you have the tools and knowledge. This is why some customers require that you destroy or overwrite the entire HDD.

copyman
01-29-2019, 01:04 PM
Most of the lease returns I buy the HDD has been formatted. All I have to do is install the movie data. Go into service mode and do a "physical" format. This will take a long time but is best way to completely remove all data for security. Of course no format is 100% and is why the FBI can find stuff on formatted HDD used in crimes.

If the copier was used in some super secure office than I would remove HDD otherwise format is all you need to do.

darry1322
01-29-2019, 01:24 PM

Formatting a HDD leaves the data intact. You would need to remove the drive and use specialized software to recover the data but it is recoverable.

Overwrite destroys the data so it can't be recovered.

nathicana
01-29-2019, 10:19 PM
If you run the overwrite you will need to format the HDD before using the MFP again.
The process also wipes out things like job logs and network settings.

Thanks. I ended up just doing a logical format.

I would have rather done the overwrite all but I had a previous bad experience. I think I did the administrator HDD format following the overwrite and caused a D012 code. Maybe the correct procedure is overwrite all then logical format.

srvctec
01-29-2019, 10:41 PM
Maybe the correct procedure is overwrite all then logical format.

Exactly.

nathicana
02-27-2019, 01:33 AM
I ran the overwrite on another of these machines and it says ready to copy. When I try to copy it scans the original then says ready to accept another job but won't copy.

No codes or jams. Can cancel the job on status screen.

Please help if you know what's going on.

thanks

Ashbell
02-27-2019, 03:07 AM
I ran the overwrite on another of these machines and it says ready to copy. When I try to copy it scans the original then says ready to accept another job but won't copy.

thanks

probably Life stop settings are still turned on, need to go into service mode and turn them off.

nathicana
02-27-2019, 04:43 PM
Yes, that was it the life stop settings.

service mode-stop 0 clear-IU life stop settings, set to off or disable

emujo2
02-28-2019, 04:35 PM
The HDD overwrite does exactly what it's called, it overwrites all data with 1, 0, hex values and depending on what you choose (1-8) multiple times. The higher levels satisfy DOD requirements for verifying a HDD has been truly wiped. If you can retrieve data from a Bizhub that has been overwritten at level 8, you should be working for the CIA, not a copier dealer.

nathicana
02-28-2019, 04:58 PM
The overwrite is working smoothly but I have been unable to get the report to print out afterward.

I log in as the administrator and enter customer's name on the overwrite report setting. "Overwrite and print report" is grayed out so I can't select it. What am I missing?

Our salesmen like to get a data erasure report from the returned machines.

Albonline
02-28-2019, 05:21 PM

thanks

if you (initialized all) the life stop settings will cause this.

B0265
03-01-2019, 08:38 AM
The overwrite is working smoothly but I have been unable to get the report to print out afterward.

I log in as the administrator and enter customer's name on the overwrite report setting. "Overwrite and print report" is grayed out so I can't select it. What am I missing?

Our salesmen like to get a data erasure report from the returned machines.

The report will only print from the by-pass tray.

nathicana
03-01-2019, 04:28 PM
The report will only print from the by-pass tray.

Thank you

Synaux
03-02-2019, 04:28 AM
Just some notes on formatting a Hard Drive (magnetic).
For security: Physical formatting is where you must to start (low level formatting), next level is take the HDD out physically and use a computer to run a nuke program like D-BAN. Next level is to use a drill and cut holes in the plattens. Only an officious agency wouldn't accept a multi-run of something like D-Ban (imo).

If you format the HDD you need to install the movie animation firmware (as noted).
Unsetting the HDD in service mode will accomplish nearly nothing in terms of security.

tsbservice
03-12-2019, 07:05 PM
Complete data deletion when discarding HDD.

The internal data of the hard disk can be deleted by overwriting with random numbers through the settings.
This will prevent confidential information from leaking after the main MFP unit has been discarded.

[Mode 1]: Recommended by Japan Electronics and
Information Technology Industries Association (JEITA) /
Russian Standard
1. Overwrite with 0x00

[Mode 2]: US National Security Agency (NSA Standard)
1. Overwrite with random 1 byte numbers
2. Overwrite with random 1 byte numbers
3. Overwrite with 0x00

[Mode 3]: US National Computer Security Center
(NCSC-TG-025) / US Navy (NAVSO P-5239-26)/ US
Department of Defense (DoD5220.22-M)
1. Overwrite with 0x00
2. Overwrite with 0xff
3. Overwrite with random 1 byte numbers
4. Verify

[Mode 4]: US Army (AR380-19)
1. Overwrite with random 1 byte numbers
2. Overwrite with 0x00
3. Overwrite with 0xff

[Mode 5]: Former US National Security Agency (NSA
Standard)
1. Overwrite with 0x00
2. Overwrite with 0xff
3. Overwrite with 0x00
4. Overwrite with 0xff

[Mode 6]: North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO
Standard)
1. Overwrite with 0x00
2. Overwrite with 0xff
3. Overwrite with 0x00
4. Overwrite with 0xff
5. Overwrite with 0x00
6. Overwrite with 0xff

7. Overwrite with random 1 byte numbers
[Mode 7]: German Standard (VSITR)
1. Overwrite with 0x00
2. Overwrite with 0xff
3. Overwrite with 0x00
4. Overwrite with 0xff
5. Overwrite with 0x00
6. Overwrite with 0xff
7. Overwrite with 0xaa

[Mode 8]: US Air Force (AFSSI5020)
1. Overwrite with 0x00
2. Overwrite with 0xff
3. Overwrite with 0x00
4. Overwrite with 0xff
5. Overwrite with 0x00
6. Overwrite with 0xff
7. Overwrite with 0xaa
8. Verify

B0265
03-19-2019, 02:50 PM
Yes, that was it the life stop settings.

service mode-stop 0 clear-IU life stop settings, set to off or disable

We have just been informed that the data overwrite will set the life stop setting back to "enable" and this will result in that no report is printed if some consumable is over life.

nathicana
03-28-2019, 09:38 PM
Can someone please send me firmware for the C654e? I am having a D012 after doing the overwrite and that is supposed to fix it.

Do I just unzip the firmware and put the folder on a usb drive and turn on machine?

Thanks

nathicana
03-29-2019, 12:18 AM
Update to the d012 code after running overwrite HDD:

I got around the code by changing the HDD to "not set" in system 2 of service mode.

I'm wondering now if I should ever remove the customer's data from a Konica Minolta again.

It has worked nicely for me but I have had this problem twice now.

rrrohan
03-29-2019, 01:36 AM
i always thought that the HDD was encrypted anyway.

B0265
03-29-2019, 09:13 AM
I am having a D012 after doing the overwrite and that is supposed to fix it.
Have you done the logical formatting after the overwrite?

nathicana
03-29-2019, 04:15 PM
Have you done the logical formatting after the overwrite?

Yes, but the d012 code appeared prior to the format when I restarted the machine after the overwrite.

I then did the logical format in service mode but it was too late.

Does the logical format have to be done quickly?

Should I hold down the reset key while turning the machine on and go directly to service mode instead of letting the machine warm up all the way?

As I say the process worked a few times just letting the machine come to a stop then logical format.

nathicana
03-29-2019, 04:21 PM
i always thought that the HDD was encrypted anyway.

The company likes this report to print out as verification that the data has been deleted

B0265
03-29-2019, 04:46 PM
I then did the logical format in service mode but it was too late.

I'm not sure what you mean by "too late", was the logical formatting unsuccesfull?

nathicana
03-29-2019, 05:26 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "too late", was the logical formatting unsuccesfull?

After the overwrite the report printed and there was a message to turn the main switch off.

I did that and when I turned the machine back on it displayed "reset the encryption code or format hard drive" for about 15 seconds then did the d012 code.

Maybe if I had acted quicker the code may not have happened, or the process is just unstable. I didn't do anything different than usual.

Custom Search