PDA

View Full Version : Account track and Mac 10.14 drivers

Custom Search

ChrisG
02-12-2019, 03:34 PM
Morning all,

I have already gone through the "gurus" at tech support and the eventual resolution was "It's Mac's issue not ours." Helpful for the customer right?

So I thought I would ask the real gurus if anyone has been able to find a workaround for trying to use account track with the new Mac OS 10.14 and any of the 4 series. (Specifically a C454e but it's all 4's and older) What's happens is you are able to activate the account track feature within the driver but there's no programs available to print through that let you add the actual account track code to the driver. Have been down the rabbit hole of using PDF preview as a workaround which will work sometimes with the 8 series but not the 4. The last update to the driver for 10.14 was March of last year which was a copy over of the 10.13 10.12 etc.

Has anyone come up with a solution that I'm missing? Have a couple of upset customers who aren't real receptive to Konica's notion of it being an Apple issue not there's because it's happening across multiple manufactures and platforms. I've tried everything from Safari, Chrome, Word, Notes, PDF Preview, etc and have yet been able to find access to actually being able to save an account track code. Only turn account track on or off (including in CUPS)

Thanks for the help
Chris
TJL Copy

copier addict
02-12-2019, 04:26 PM
Morning all,

I have already gone through the "gurus" at tech support and the eventual resolution was "It's Mac's issue not ours." Helpful for the customer right?

So I thought I would ask the real gurus if anyone has been able to find a workaround for trying to use account track with the new Mac OS 10.14 and any of the 4 series. (Specifically a C454e but it's all 4's and older) What's happens is you are able to activate the account track feature within the driver but there's no programs available to print through that let you add the actual account track code to the driver. Have been down the rabbit hole of using PDF preview as a workaround which will work sometimes with the 8 series but not the 4. The last update to the driver for 10.14 was March of last year which was a copy over of the 10.13 10.12 etc.

Has anyone come up with a solution that I'm missing? Have a couple of upset customers who aren't real receptive to Konica's notion of it being an Apple issue not there's because it's happening across multiple manufactures and platforms. I've tried everything from Safari, Chrome, Word, Notes, PDF Preview, etc and have yet been able to find access to actually being able to save an account track code. Only turn account track on or off (including in CUPS)

Thanks for the help
Chris
TJL Copy

The only way I have been able to make this work is by installing Adobe, setup a print job with account track and save the settings as a preset. When you want to print from a native Mac program all you need to do is select the saved preset print setup.

ChrisG
02-12-2019, 11:19 PM
The only way I have been able to make this work is by installing Adobe, setup a print job with account track and save the settings as a preset. When you want to print from a native Mac program all you need to do is select the saved preset print setup.

Are you saying to actually install a version of adobe on the app bar? Even pdf documents that open and go to reader and/or go through the pdf viewer do the same thing. Give the option for account track but no where to enter the code

Under the options there's no where to select "Output methods" to change the option to account track and add the code. Here's the example. I can't get to this window on 10.14. It gives printer features with the option to turn on account track is all.

copier addict
02-13-2019, 12:19 AM
Are you saying to actually install a version of adobe on the app bar? Even pdf documents that open and go to reader and/or go through the pdf viewer do the same thing. Give the option for account track but no where to enter the code

Under the options there's no where to select "Output methods" to change the option to account track and add the code. Here's the example. I can't get to this window on 10.14. It gives printer features with the option to turn on account track is all.

I have simply installed adobe reader and used it to setup a usable preset. I seems it is only the native Mac programs that are unable to use account track.

Barbara
09-04-2019, 11:05 PM
Hi

I've been able to print this way with everything BUT web browsers (Safari & Chrome) Haven't tried Firefox yet.

I'm working on a C250i.

The job is sent to the printer, Errors out and gives "Group admin Error"

Customer has tried the pop up as well.

Any thoughts?

Barbara

bsm2
09-05-2019, 01:47 AM
Have seen this before with Mac drivers when customer updated OS , took Konica about 3 or 4 months for new driver. Think your screwed until Konica updates driver.

rrrohan
09-05-2019, 08:37 AM
Is print without Authentication enabled?

Admin-User Auth/Acc track-Print with out authentication

This might atleast allow them to print again without having to turn off account track all together.

then when/if driver gets released for 10.14 you can install that and continue using codes to print.

B0265
09-05-2019, 09:23 AM
If you post this question in the connectivity forum you will probably find that this is a limitation that all vendors struggle with and it's due to an Apple Mac OS specification.

One example (Xerox):
Solved: "Xerox Features" driver doesn''t load in Safari 10... - Page 2 - Customer Support Forum (https://forum.support.xerox.com/t5/Printing/quot-Xerox-Features-quot-driver-doesn-t-load-in-Safari-10-1-can/td-p/204635/page/2)

copiertec
01-08-2020, 12:18 PM
I am having this issue with a Mac 10.14.6 that I installed yesterday on a C284e, I installed the driver but can not add account track # in the driver because it is not available. I am going back out today with some of this info and am going to install Adobe reader to see if this works. Has anyone found any other solutions or is this it so far?

emujo2
01-08-2020, 01:46 PM
This may not help, but might explain...

For those of you that have been stumped by the missing authentication features on the MAC drivers....
There is no known fix for the issue, this is an issue caused by Apple and to the best of my knowledge not something the vendors can fix, and it's affecting multiple vendors. Here's some further info and a work around:

In MacOS 10.14, all applications have a feature called "Library Validation" enforced on them by the Operating System which removes the ability for us to enter the Account Track / User Authentication code in the drivers. The Output Method in the print driver will be missing and replaced by Printer Features which has an option for Account Track but, nowhere to enter the code for it. This has since been resolved with OS 10.14.5. You still won't be able to enter in the codes for Apple specific applications like Safari or Notes but you should have the option to in 3rd party applications like Chrome.

Notes from Xerox on this "feature": Xerox_KB_Library_Validation_v10.pdf (http://download.support.xerox.com/pub/docs/CentreWare_Web/userdocs/any-os/en/Xerox_KB_Library_Validation_v10.pdf)

Notes from Google discussing adding this feature and deciding not to because it break Print Dialog Extensions: Link (https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=497190)

The only work around we've found is to go to the account track / authentication settings in a 3rd party program on the Mac, enter the information there like you normally would and then it will "carry over" to the native apps that come with the Mac. I know of no way to mass deploy settings in a Mac environment.

copiertec
01-08-2020, 11:42 PM
This may not help, but might explain...

For those of you that have been stumped by the missing authentication features on the MAC drivers....
There is no known fix for the issue, this is an issue caused by Apple and to the best of my knowledge not something the vendors can fix, and it's affecting multiple vendors. Here's some further info and a work around:

In MacOS 10.14, all applications have a feature called "Library Validation" enforced on them by the Operating System which removes the ability for us to enter the Account Track / User Authentication code in the drivers. The Output Method in the print driver will be missing and replaced by Printer Features which has an option for Account Track but, nowhere to enter the code for it. This has since been resolved with OS 10.14.5. You still won't be able to enter in the codes for Apple specific applications like Safari or Notes but you should have the option to in 3rd party applications like Chrome.

Notes from Xerox on this "feature": Xerox_KB_Library_Validation_v10.pdf (http://download.support.xerox.com/pub/docs/CentreWare_Web/userdocs/any-os/en/Xerox_KB_Library_Validation_v10.pdf)

Notes from Google discussing adding this feature and deciding not to because it break Print Dialog Extensions: Link (https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=497190)

The only work around we've found is to go to the account track / authentication settings in a 3rd party program on the Mac, enter the information there like you normally would and then it will "carry over" to the native apps that come with the Mac. I know of no way to mass deploy settings in a Mac environment.

Thank you for the information,emujo2. I went out there today and installed adobe acrobat on to the Mac, however I was only able to print out whatever was in adobe but not from any other applications from the a Mac. When you say it "will carry over to the native apps," what exactly does this mean? The reason I ask is because I could not get the mac to print from other programs besides Adobe with the account track code. Also, just to clarify, is this issue just with the 4 series or is it with the Apple Mac 10.14 Mojave?

rrrohan
01-09-2020, 01:45 AM
Is it possible to share the Printer from a windows PC to the Mac?

I have done similar for Chrome Books

Setup a cue on a Windows PC with the 1 particular users account track codes that is using a Chrome Book then they use Google Cloud Print.

Worked in that situation, pity Cloud print is being discontinued not sure what I will do then

ChrisG
01-09-2020, 11:37 PM
Thank you for the information,emujo2. I went out there today and installed adobe acrobat on to the Mac, however I was only able to print out whatever was in adobe but not from any other applications from the a Mac. When you say it "will carry over to the native apps," what exactly does this mean? The reason I ask is because I could not get the mac to print from other programs besides Adobe with the account track code. Also, just to clarify, is this issue just with the 4 series or is it with the Apple Mac 10.14 Mojave?

That is curious. In all of our setups to both the 4 and the 8 series alike, once the account track code has been added to the driver and saved as a preset, it's always worked beyond just Adobe into the other programs. (Word, Safari, etc.)

copiertec
01-10-2020, 01:37 AM
That is curious. In all of our setups to both the 4 and the 8 series alike, once the account track code has been added to the driver and saved as a preset, it's always worked beyond just Adobe into the other programs. (Word, Safari, etc.)

I tried printing from Safari after I went through the whole CUPS process on finishing and turn on account track and authentication, then went into Adobe and set up the account code and was able to print from Adobe. But, from any other program, I can not access the preset I set up. It's a 10.14.6 Mojave, I saved the preset in Adobe and named it Konica, but once I went into any other program I could not pull up that preset. I can always revisit the client and take another look at it, but I always get that vibe when you hear the client huffing and puffing in the background, rolling their eyes like they can not do anything without their precious Mac Book and I am wasting their time. I set the driver up like you would normally, went to terminal, cups interface, local host:631, administration then default settings, turned on authentication, accounts codes, etc. Then, downloaded Word, Chrome and Adobe, went to the print icon in Adobe and made the presets there before I printed, but can not access account track in anything else. Maybe I am overlooking something but not exactly sure of what it is?

ChrisG
01-10-2020, 04:24 PM
I tried printing from Safari after I went through the whole CUPS process on finishing and turn on account track and authentication, then went into Adobe and set up the account code and was able to print from Adobe. But, from any other program, I can not access the preset I set up. It's a 10.14.6 Mojave, I saved the preset in Adobe and named it Konica, but once I went into any other program I could not pull up that preset. I can always revisit the client and take another look at it, but I always get that vibe when you hear the client huffing and puffing in the background, rolling their eyes like they can not do anything without their precious Mac Book and I am wasting their time. I set the driver up like you would normally, went to terminal, cups interface, local host:631, administration then default settings, turned on authentication, accounts codes, etc. Then, downloaded Word, Chrome and Adobe, went to the print icon in Adobe and made the presets there before I printed, but can not access account track in anything else. Maybe I am overlooking something but not exactly sure of what it is?

That is sure a unique situation. I'll make sure an pass along any updates or ideas if I happen to run into this. Please do the same if you're able to come up with a solution. I'd be curious to know what it is.

Chris
TJL Copy

Bricorley
12-09-2020, 10:25 PM
each Mac OS is different but all have the same loops. In order to get it to work you will have to try different programs. I found preview, safari, word to work best. In those programs you can select account track. you must tehn save it as default print settings. If using chrome you will have to take another step to print. Youll have to open the "use print dialog box" in order for the machine the recognize the account track code.

msnetal
12-10-2020, 11:53 PM
FYI - This is absolutely an Apple issue and NOT a KM or print driver issue.

Blizzoo
12-11-2020, 01:18 PM
Is it possible to share the Printer from a windows PC to the Mac?

I have done similar for Chrome Books

Setup a cue on a Windows PC with the 1 particular users account track codes that is using a Chrome Book then they use Google Cloud Print.

Worked in that situation, pity Cloud print is being discontinued not sure what I will do then

PaperCut Mobility Print is available free as a stand alone install, no PaperCut NG/MF needed, as an alternative to GCP using cloud print. I think support for Mac's is on the way at the moment

Custom Search