PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Options for bizhub 200 upgrade

Custom Search

skelband
02-19-2019, 04:36 PM
Hi,
Looking for some guidance on upgrade options for a bizhub 200!
According to the upgrade flowchart, there are three possible pre-requisites for the hard drive HD-504:

1) EM-30x - memory upgrade of 32/64/128Mb
2) SU-501 - scanner unit
3) FK-503 - fax unit.

I read somewhere that you can install only one, and the upgrade flowchart seems to imply this.

So I have questions for anyone that has experience of this machine family (200/250/350):

a) Is the memory upgrade not necessary because the other options come with an appropriate SO-DIMM in their packages?

b) Does anyone have any details about what components are in the upgrade packages? I have the opportunity to upgrade my machine from a donor one that seems to have many of the upgrades listed above and I want to make sure I get all the required parts from it.

c) Anyone have any scans or PDFs of the installation sheets that come with these packages that I could get a copy of so that I don't miss any configuration steps?

Many thanks
Ralph

copier addict
02-19-2019, 05:03 PM
Hi,
Looking for some guidance on upgrade options for a bizhub 200!
According to the upgrade flowchart, there are three possible pre-requisites for the hard drive HD-504:

1) EM-30x - memory upgrade of 32/64/128Mb
2) SU-501 - scanner unit
3) FK-503 - fax unit.

I read somewhere that you can install only one, and the upgrade flowchart seems to imply this.

So I have questions for anyone that has experience of this machine family (200/250/350):

a) Is the memory upgrade not necessary because the other options come with an appropriate SO-DIMM in their packages?

b) Does anyone have any details about what components are in the upgrade packages? I have the opportunity to upgrade my machine from a donor one that seems to have many of the upgrades listed above and I want to make sure I get all the required parts from it.

c) Anyone have any scans or PDFs of the installation sheets that come with these packages that I could get a copy of so that I don't miss any configuration steps?

Many thanks
Ralph

What exactly are you hoping to accomplish? The HDD on this series is basically a storage device, it won't improve the performance of the machine IE it will not speed up print processing.
If you are going to take the HDD from a donor machine don't forget the HDD power supply. It is installed in the back at the bottom.
There are no prerequisites for installing the HDD. The flow chart you saw is simply showing order of installation. Meaning, if you install the HDD and then decide to install the fax you will have to remove the HDD to do it.
Hope this helps

skelband
02-19-2019, 05:40 PM
There are no prerequisites for installing the HDD. The flow chart you saw is simply showing order of installation. Meaning, if you install the HDD and then decide to install the fax you will have to remove the HDD to do it.
Hope this helps

Hi,
Thanks for the info about the flowchart. It is very clarifying. I had assumed that it was a prerequisite tree. In some ways it probably is because I don't think you can have the MT-501 Mailbin and SD-502 Saddle Stitcher installed at the same time.

I find the bits of information floating around about the upgrade options for this machine to be contradictory and thin on the ground.
I guess part of that is due to the age of the machine.

To answer your question, one of my hobbies is to collect copiers and this is my latest project. I'm just trying to upgrade it to its fullest extent, partly for fun, partly as a learning exercise. I have been offered parts from another bizhub 200 that has been upgraded significantly and I want to salvage off it what is useful to me. I already have an appropriate 128mb SO-DIMM that I plan to stick in there from an ebay vendor and a BNIB hdd kit that I got locally for a cheap price. The donor machine definitely has the FK-503 fax kit and *possibly* the SU-501 scanner unit.

Since some of the options comprise a number of separate parts dotted around the machine (e.g. the HDD) I just want to make sure I take full advantage of the opportunity.

If anyone out there knows the whereabouts of a cheap punch unit (PU-501), SD-502 Saddle Stitcher or any of the additional paper cassette options, I would certainly be most appreciative :D

Cheers,
Ralph

Synthohol
02-19-2019, 05:45 PM
just an fyi, 6/2017 was end of life for that model.
nothing available for it anymore except toner and a few other consumables.
good luck.

skelband
02-19-2019, 05:58 PM
Hi,
While I'm here, can anyone tell me what the latest firmware versions are for this machine?
The config page shows the controller is on 4040-3000-F10-01. I'm presuming this is 4.4

Is this the latest version or am I likely to need some upgrades?

Cheers,
Ralph

P.S. this is a great resource and you guys are awesome! I'll donate some cash.

srvctec
02-19-2019, 08:10 PM
Latest F/W for here in the states should be 4040-0100-G30-80-002. At least that's the latest we have and I maintain all the latest F/W on our system. Haven't done a F/W update on those in years since they are so darned old.

skelband
02-19-2019, 09:32 PM
Hi,
Sorry to beat this thread to death, but I have one more final techie question about what appears to be a RAM module on the main PCB.

So there are 2 SODIMM slots, one of which is occupied by what looks like an SDR RAM module.
I'd had some trouble identifying the RAM chips to see what would work for an upgrade, but after finding a data sheet, they appear to be SDR 143Mhz 7ns (3-3-3) modules by PSC.

So I got a faster but probably compatible module to stick in the other slot, that shares the same timing setup.
From what I gather, you can add up to 128MB. But it is not recognised.
On second glance I saw the extra chip and thought "Hah! This is buffered RAM, got the wrong thing."
However, on closer inspection, this extra chip is actually a PIC 12F508 processor. :eek: WTF?
Would anyone really use a PIC microcontroller to implement buffering on a RAM module?

Anyone have any clues what is going on there?

Also, since 143Mhz SDR RAM is rather rare in SODIMM form, can anyone point me in the direction of a proper RAM kit for this machine?
This looks to be a speciality item.

Cheers,
Ralph

Custom Search