PDA

View Full Version : Konica Minolta Bizhub 363 B/W Image Vertical Banding Smudging

Custom Search

AKSturb01
03-17-2019, 06:33 PM
Hello everyone,

I have a Bizhub 363 black and white machine and I'm having an image issue. If you view the attached photos, what is happening is that narrow vertical "smudge" bands are appearing on almost every print. The the font in the scans is 12 point and you can see the banding is restricted to about 1.5 character widths. Then it goes away for a while...the paper advances...and a a new band shows up.

They seem to be RANDOMLY spaced. Every so often a page will not have them, but most of them do. The horizontal spacing across the page, but they are always top to bottom in a single tight line. Sometimes they're less than an inch apart, sometimes 5 to 6 inches or more (see photo 2). The toner seems to be "bunching up" in those areas, as though maybe the paper isn't feeding evenly through the imaging section? You can see that the white space areas between the lines of text are not affected.

I got this machine from a client who didn't need it any longer and they hadn't used it in about six months, but it appears to be in very good condition and it prints very well otherwise. I just don't know what to make of the vertical banding. It isn't throwing any codes or making any strange noises.

I'd be very grateful to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

Thank you!4206942070

tsbservice
03-17-2019, 06:55 PM
Good samples. Looks like your developer unit spacers/roll guides may have been worn-out.

blackcat4866
03-17-2019, 07:35 PM
Definitely compressions. The image is slightly compressed in those areas as though the paper was moving slower than the drum momentarily. IIRC this machine is from the bizhub 223/423 family.

So what do we have driving the paper in that area?:
Vertical path clutch: maybe slipping, dragging the paper momentarily
Registration clutch: maybe slipping, slowing the paper momentarily
Registration rollers/bushings/bearings: worn reg reg roller or seizing bushings/bearings

Let's assume for the moment that the drum is not rotating too fast (that would be really hard to explain).
=^..^=

copier addict
03-17-2019, 07:44 PM
I agree with tsbservice. The dev spacer rollers are a weak spot on this series of machines. I replace them every time I replace drum and dev.

allan
03-17-2019, 09:54 PM
So that is LEF, must be right?
J3003 comes to mind. Reg clutch?? The only clutch if the vertical from tray1. By that time the feed clutches should be deactivated and the one way clutches should wheel free.
So i agree with BC.

Those clutches if the let go due to strain or wear they will not take again. Bad wiring to your clutch?

Those bushings are terrible.
The DS rolls dont last.
And the drum gear breaks teeth that ends up every where in the main drive that makes a racket and visible jitters .

Tip: Trim the corners of the drum drive gear to eliminate the shearing force. Do that on every drum installation. Also remove 2 turns from the spring that press the transfer roller against the drum. As mentioned change the DS rolls every dev change and the transfer roller every drum change if it shows heavy wear.

Hansoon
03-18-2019, 06:24 AM
Drum spacer collars cracked. See my avatar.

Hans

AKSturb01
03-18-2019, 12:00 PM
Thank you everyone for all the ideas and the help. Obviously I have several things to investigate and learn. Full disclosure department - I am not a technician by profession. I found this website many years ago and could tell that the signal/noise ratio was very high, which I appreciate. You also seem to have a sense of humor, which is perfect when it comes to faceplanting n00bs like myself asking questions that are above their pay grade, because you can tell already that this is gonna be fun! :D So thank you again.

I run a small printing and mailing company and we do our best to repair our own machines. Much of the time we're successful, some of the time we're not. If I cannot make any headway for a reasonable amount of money and time, I will have to decide whether to sell it to someone who can hopefully make better use of it. It seems a shame to scrap something that's working well otherwise.

My next steps are to get the service manuals and dig in.

Is it still possible to get the parts I need, including the drum spacer collars? Are there any recommended suppliers I can buy from?

Best regards.

AKSturb01
03-18-2019, 12:16 PM
Drum spacer collars cracked. See my avatar.

Hans

Now, of course, I have to find out!

Amazing you answered. Before I wrote my post yesterday, I did some searching to at least try and see whether anyone had a similar problem and I saw your avatar in a different thread and thought: "Hmmm. I wonder if it's a worn or out-of-round bushing or bearing or something like that."

allan
03-18-2019, 12:22 PM
Yea you will still find plenty parts around.
You guys still did not figure out a maintenance contract is cheaper and more convenient??
:confused:

AKSturb01
03-18-2019, 12:24 PM
So that is LEF, must be right?
J3003 comes to mind. Reg clutch?? The only clutch if the vertical from tray1. Those bushings are terrible. The DS rolls dont last. And the drum gear breaks teeth that ends up every where in the main drive that makes a racket and visible jitters. Tip: Trim the corners...

Thank you for the tip. Now for the faceplanting n00b question - LEF? All that comes to my mind is "Lubricate Every Fortnight."

allan
03-18-2019, 12:30 PM
Thank you for the tip. Now for the faceplanting n00b question - LEF? All that comes to my mind is "Lubricate Every Fortnight."

The way the paper travels thru the machine LEF or SEF.
Long Edge First. Portrait from the front of the machine.
Short Edge Firts. Landscape from the front of the machine.

Don't like to use landscape/portrait because its a perspective thing.

Why are you not considering contracts?

AKSturb01
03-18-2019, 12:38 PM
The way the paper travels thru the machine LEF or SEF.
Long Edge First. Portrait from the front of the machine.
Short Edge Firts. Landscape from the front of the machine.
Why are you not considering contracts?

The photos are deceptive: the actual prints were made on 11x17 24/60lb fed from Tray 1. I folded them before scanning because I used an old scanner that only takes up to legal size.

Contracts: I'd love to, but for financial reasons I can't. I'm poor right now. Literally working poor. Not ashamed to admit it but that's how it is. Wiped out in the last recession and having tough days still.

Hansoon
03-18-2019, 12:40 PM

:D LOL

How'bout "Long Edge Feeding" ?

Hans

allan
03-18-2019, 12:59 PM
:D LOL

How'bout "Long Edge Feeding" ?

Hans

Tomatoes Tomatoes.:)

Custom Search