PDA

View Full Version : Large scans cause memory overflow

Custom Search

rrrohan
03-22-2019, 05:50 AM
Customer has a C364e

Scans to SMB

Each scan is atleast 300 pages duplexed (so 600 total)

Once that job is finished scanning it can take 20 mins or more to complete transmission.

In that time they have often got another 2 jobs of 600 pages scanned and in the cue.

Basically they are archiving old files so its trying to be used basically non stop for hours at a time.

The Memory indicated its only about 85% when it crashes.

Is the scanner just getting overloaded or should I treat this like a fault.
It works perfectly fine if you do smaller runs.

Would installin the upgrade RAM module help do you think? I wasnt sure if it would do anything as always thought its only purpose was for when Licence Kits are being applied

mo0651
03-22-2019, 02:31 PM
What have you tried? Reformat HDD, Make sure firmware is up to date. Sounds like it is timing out.:cool:

qbert69
03-22-2019, 03:10 PM
Customer has a C364e

Scans to SMB

Once that job is finished scanning it can take 20 mins or more to complete transmission.

In that time they have often got another 2 jobs of 600 pages scanned and in the cue.

Basically they are archiving old files so its trying to be used basically non stop for hours at a time.

Would installin the upgrade RAM module help do you think? I wasnt sure if it would do anything as always thought its only purpose was for when Licence Kits are being appliedWhat's the error detail in the job log??? Scan in color? B&W? Resolution? If it's PDF, there are programs that can join multiple PDF files together![emoji41]

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Reed
03-22-2019, 03:50 PM
I have had this problem on this machine when scanning to an email. Our fix was change the file type from PDF to Compact PDF. It seems to have resolved the issue

qbert69
03-22-2019, 04:56 PM
I have had this problem on this machine when scanning to an email. Our fix was change the file type from PDF to Compact PDF. It seems to have resolved the issueEmail many times has an attachment file size limitation imposed by the IT Administrator. Best workaround is a file share service such as Google Drive or Sendspace.[emoji41]

mincopier
03-23-2019, 12:30 AM
I do not see a problem myself, I could be wrong.. There is 600 pages in memory, then you put another 600 pages into memory, a total of 1200 pages. It takes time for this to be converted and moved across the network. The processor, memory, and HDD interface are not exactly top notch. Yes a computer will move that file quicker across the network but it is also already processed.

Even though this machine has a scanner this is not the type of scanning it was designed to do. Also the HDD capacity is divided up for different types of activity. Such as a partition for, scanning, copying, faxing, user box, address book.

Woxner
03-23-2019, 01:23 AM
back up the hdd. remove it hook it too a laptop and delete all the partians the reformatt. if you look at these they get 15 to 20 partians over the years. it does not use memory for scanning. just hdd. also hdd is not used for copying. its uses memory. it is used for faxing and address book and scanning and box scans. if you set binary on email after that limit it will divide in second email or more. that way it wont delete email for reaching max

rrrohan
03-23-2019, 02:13 AM
What have you tried? Reformat HDD, Make sure firmware is up to date. Sounds like it is timing out.:cool:

Updated firmware and replaced with a Western Digital 500GB

What's the error detail in the job log??? Scan in color? B&W? Resolution? If it's PDF, there are programs that can join multiple PDF files together![emoji41]

Just says Power Off. CE mode just reports them as memory buffer overflow

I have had this problem on this machine when scanning to an email. Our fix was change the file type from PDF to Compact PDF. It seems to have resolved the issue

Its Scan to SMB and its on compact PDF/Auto Colour/Text

I do not see a problem myself, I could be wrong.. There is 600 pages in memory, then you put another 600 pages into memory, a total of 1200 pages. It takes time for this to be converted and moved across the network. The processor, memory, and HDD interface are not exactly top notch. Yes a computer will move that file quicker across the network but it is also already processed.

Even though this machine has a scanner this is not the type of scanning it was designed to do. Also the HDD capacity is divided up for different types of activity. Such as a partition for, scanning, copying, faxing, user box, address book.

Yeah thats what i was thinking, that they are just pushing it to much. If it processed quicker it wouldnt be so bad. guess i'll just need to tell them to slow down

back up the hdd. remove it hook it too a laptop and delete all the partians the reformatt. if you look at these they get 15 to 20 partians over the years. it does not use memory for scanning. just hdd. also hdd is not used for copying. its uses memory. it is used for faxing and address book and scanning and box scans. if you set binary on email after that limit it will divide in second email or more. that way it wont delete email for reaching max

its not email its SMB and the HDD is new

bsm2
03-23-2019, 09:20 AM
Customer has a C364e

Scans to SMB

Would installin the upgrade RAM module help do you think? I wasnt sure if it would do anything as always thought its only purpose was for when Licence Kits are being applied

Something WRONG what are the default scan settings? 20 mins ? did it ever work correctly

qbert69
03-24-2019, 02:04 AM
Updated firmware and replaced with a Western Digital 500GB

Just says Power Off. CE mode just reports them as memory buffer overflow

Its Scan to SMB and its on compact PDF/Auto Colour/Text

Yeah thats what i was thinking, that they are just pushing it to much. If it processed quicker it wouldnt be so bad. guess i'll just need to tell them to slow down

its not email its SMB and the HDD is newAuto Color/Text *ALWAYS* takes longer & requires more processing power since the machine has to weigh every damn pixel to see what it is!!![emoji2959]....scan in straight up grayscale, 200 dpi and see what happens!!!

rrrohan
03-24-2019, 03:09 AM
Auto Color/Text *ALWAYS* takes longer & requires more processing power since the machine has to weigh every damn pixel to see what it is!!![emoji2959]....scan in straight up grayscale, 200 dpi and see what happens!!!

good idea. ill suggest this and see how it goes

Custom Search