PDA

View Full Version : Remote pane and Vcarel security

Custom Search

swags
03-29-2019, 03:31 PM
We have started setting up Vcare and remote panel on the 308,368 759 etc going out to our clients at the request of our sales, customer service and training departments. I'm still learning how these work, but does Vcare and remote panel create a security issue for the clients network by allowing us access to remote into the copier or have it report? I'm not sure if our clients are aware that we are enabling these functions. Do you and your company notify your customers that Vcare and remote panel has been setup or do you give them the option to have them enabled?

Synthohol
03-29-2019, 07:16 PM
vcare and remote panel are different, vcare just sends an HTTP port 80 report on the machine for meter counts, low toner, jams, codes etc...
remote panel uses a different port and can trigger firewalls.
if enabling vcare we explain vcare will auto send meters, if we need to send a tech to get the meter it costs money. let them decide.

tsbservice
03-29-2019, 07:58 PM
if enabling vcare we explain vcare will auto send meters, if we need to send a tech to get the meter it costs money. let them decide.

Here, sending tech(me) to get counters list cost nothing to customers, but I like your explanation(will remember it for better days).
Can imagine 99% of them choose vcare.

Synthohol
03-29-2019, 08:04 PM
if they use the machine for email, you can just enable notifications for meters and other issues.
vcare not needed except maybe for mobile diagnostic/supply info

emujo2
04-03-2019, 08:15 PM
There are 2 remote panel options, server and client. The client would allow remote access by another computer using dedicated software. Server option allows one PC to access a web browser link that displays the control panel interface. SSL and CE password need to be ON to allow these options to even be seen. I would be worried about the "Client" as this could open a security hole. Vcare has gone away from 2 way email communication and is strictly one way SMTP or HTTP. There are white papers for vcare and my last look at them showed it was impossible for external hackers to access anything though vcare ports. We routinely enable the remote panel server as it is very helpful for troubleshooting and training. Emujo

Custom Search