PDA

View Full Version : C224 dev unit

Custom Search

copier addict
04-01-2019, 09:21 PM
Hey everyone

I know there are techs on here who are converting black 4 series dev units to colour. I have done this twice with cyan and both times the t/c ratios are higher than they should be. The first one gives constant C2552 codes and I have had to replace it. The second one hasn't coded yet, but the t/c ratio is at 8.50, which is higher than the average of around 6.25.
I may have not done the conversion properly, so if someone has the procedure that would be great.
The way I did it was to put the dev unit in a machine in the shop and run 150 or so sky shots until the colour was pretty close. Is there anything else needed besides the dev chip?
Thanks

Phil B.
04-01-2019, 09:28 PM
Hey everyone
I know there are techs on here who are converting black 4 series dev units to colour. I have done this twice with cyan and both times the t/c ratios are higher than they should be. The first one gives constant C2552 codes and I have had to replace it. The second one hasn't coded yet, but the t/c ratio is at 8.50, which is higher than the average of around 6.25.
I may have not done the conversion properly, so if someone has the procedure that would be great.
The way I did it was to put the dev unit in a machine in the shop and run 150 or so sky shots until the colour was pretty close. Is there anything else needed besides the dev chip?
Thanks

the 'dev chip' .. do you mean TD (toner density) sensor?

if yes.. color toners require a high bias voltage than K toner.. so if you aren't installing new TD then yes that more than likely is the culprit.

Coggers
04-01-2019, 09:28 PM
Hi
we do this all the time , exactly what you followed
works a treat

copier addict
04-01-2019, 09:46 PM
the 'dev chip' .. do you mean TD (toner density) sensor?

if yes.. color toners require a high bias voltage than K toner.. so if you aren't installing new TD then yes that more than likely is the culprit.

Thanks for the response Phil.
Yes, I do mean the TD sensor, which gets mounted on the outside of the dev unit on the plastic holder.
I install the TD sensor before I insert the dev unit into the machine needing the new dev.

copier addict
04-15-2019, 01:17 PM
Ok, so I tested another converted dev unit in a machine in the shop and same thing. It went from 6.31% on Friday to 8.35 on Monday and I'm not sure why.
Is it normal for the converted dev units to have a high toner concentration?
All of the drums are almost new, 98%. And not 98% used up.
If there was only a couple hundred dollars difference in price between black and coloured dev units I wouldn't care, but the coloured dev units are $500 more than black.
Any and all thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks

allan
04-15-2019, 05:19 PM
No they should be at 6.5%

The fuse(ICP) on the existing color tank chips needs to be replaced to trigger new article detection.
I use fuse (ICP) from the TN512's i convert to TN321.

Or just replace with after market chips.

tsbservice
04-15-2019, 05:28 PM
When you convert dev unit in your office machine, did you reset it? If no reset is performed calibration is not done, which may be the reason why TCR sensor measurements didn't fall into 5-8% limits for this machine.

copier addict
04-15-2019, 06:22 PM
No they should be at 6.5%

The fuse(ICP) on the existing color tank chips needs to be replaced to trigger new article detection.
I use fuse (ICP) from the TN512's i convert to TN321.

Or just replace with after market chips.

I use aftermarket dev chips. The toner ratio starts fine, but creeps up higher after a few days to a week.

copier addict
04-15-2019, 06:24 PM
When you convert dev unit in your office machine, did you reset it? If no reset is performed calibration is not done, which may be the reason why TCR sensor measurements didn't fall into 5-8% limits for this machine.

I'm not sure what you mean. If I reset it in the shop it will not reset in the customer's machine. The count does not follow dev unit.

tsbservice
04-15-2019, 06:37 PM
I'm not sure what you mean. If I reset it in the shop it will not reset in the customer's machine. The count does not follow dev unit.
I know where reset belongs, but this way you aren't running calibration of new TCR sensor, your office machine keeps working with ratio remembered from its own dev unit and that may be your problem. Every TCR sensor has different characteristics thus this calibration is made. Well I may be wrong, cuz honestly never did that.

Boltaction
04-15-2019, 11:01 PM
Hey everyone

Thanks

What is your procedure for converting the Black to Colour? Is there a way to order C/M/Y developer or do you have to purge the black toner with sky shots and then add color toner to the developer by hand and then replace the TD sensor?
I've never come across this before, curious to know logistically how effecient this method is. Does the cost of labor for the conversion outweigh the cost of the color developer unit?

allan
04-16-2019, 04:04 PM
Now converting the C360 dev tanks is labor intensive but the 4 range not so much.
You need 3 K dev tanks and 3 unused chips a ream of paper and some time.
I use a machine at the office to do this but only replace the fuses and not the chips.
You need only to place the slides/guides from the color tanks onto the new K tanks to get them to fit.
Then make sure they reset the counters and then run half tones until the colors are bright and right.
Do gradation adjustment.

copier addict
04-16-2019, 06:07 PM
Now converting the C360 dev tanks is labor intensive but the 4 range not so much.
You need 3 K dev tanks and 3 unused chips a ream of paper and some time.
I use a machine at the office to do this but only replace the fuses and not the chips.
You need only to place the slides/guides from the color tanks onto the new K tanks to get them to fit.
Then make sure they reset the counters and then run half tones until the colors are bright and right.
Do gradation adjustment.

What exactly do you mean when you say "only replace the fuses and not the chips"? The chip(TD sensor) is a printed circuit board with tiny components on it.

tsbservice
04-16-2019, 06:23 PM
Another idea. If TCR sensor and reset chip are integrated in one board(in this case you replace them both).
You can use TCR level setting to bring down TCR by max -1.5%(-3), which in your case would be near optimal level.

Custom Search