PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Bizhub C224e Unknown Issue

Custom Search

Ari007
04-16-2019, 08:00 AM
Hello Techs,

[Entire Story]
I have a low copy KM c224e (only 24060 transfer belt count), (Brand New Purchased 03/2016). This machine had a problem(moisture) with Duplex and Vertical Transport Sensors(Photointerrupters - A108M50100) from the first. All of the sensors been replaced by dealer's tech and the machine was working fine. In Aug 2018, there was some electrical issue going on in our area and the machine faced repeated power cuts at full load. From August end, I discovered some deep sleep issue(once the machine is in sleep mode it can't return from sleep, have to do full bootup). I just increased the sleep time and the problem was somehow solved. From Sept, it started panel freezing and by the end of sept it showed two sharkfin at the boot screen and froze there. Called the service tech and he told it's the MFP so I told him to check it in another machine and if results bad then swap it from another scrap machine as it'll be a total loss for me to buy brand new (They ask almost $1000 for new MFPB). Two weeks later he came with a board from a scrap, installed it and the machine didn't show any response (no display, just nothing). Then I refitted my old motherboard and took the K9 firmware from him.
{My part starts}
From the first I doubted that it must be another issue because if the motherboard is half booting and displays two sharkfins every time then it must be either HDD or the OS (as per Normal Computer troubleshooting). I did a CMOS battery reset, discharged the DC Power Supply(Type B) and prepared the MFPB reset usb with A145FW.TAR and put it in service port and voila. It booted up>>installed firmware>>rebooted>>machine is up..Did the diagnostic check from service menu, everything was good. I accidentally logical formatted the hdd so it returned a movie data error. Everything else was fine. Then in January end, it showed the issue again. I replaced the film connector b/w MFPB & PRCB. Two days earlier, Somehow managed to firmware it up, got the demo page printout>>network printed one calibration print(ColorCard.pdf)..everything was fine but after sometime, it went to sleep and didn't return back. Turned the main SW off & on and it didn't booted. Kept it like 5 or 6 mins, checked the process is heating up, Machine rear side cooling fan(FM3) is spinning.
SSD FW ver 6.05m
I don't know which part is causing this issue. Anyone help please...

rrrohan
04-16-2019, 08:12 AM
From August end, I discovered some deep sleep issue(once the machine is in sleep mode it can't return from sleep, have to do full bootup)
this was a known issue. I just disable sleep and just had copier go into low power mode instead

Two weeks later he came with a board from a scrap, installed it and the machine didn't show any response
Did he just change the MFP?
The Manual states you can not do that or it will corrupt data.
It had to be a brand new MFP, he might of screwed it even worse now.42376

Ari007
04-16-2019, 08:32 AM
this was a known issue. I just disable sleep and just had copier go into low power mode instead

Did he just change the MFP?
The Manual states you can not do that or it will corrupt data.
It had to be a brand new MFP, he might of screwed it even worse now.42376

After this, I have used the machine and printed approx 600-800 copies A3. And fortunately, that board was a dead board. I doubt that SSD is faulty and it showed freezing issues in Sept,18.

Ari007
04-16-2019, 09:04 AM
42378 I found this from the forum which means my machine's SSD was bad from long ago. But I am wondering by which magical power it did run fine for the last two months and approx 800 copies been printed. I have no clue at all.

rrrohan
04-16-2019, 09:33 AM
is the meter reading count correct? this is good indication of if corruption occured

Ari007
04-16-2019, 10:07 AM
is the meter reading count correct? this is good indication of if corruption occured

yes..

and one more thing: though the machine is not booting up, if I plug the network cable green led is glowing.

Bix
04-16-2019, 10:16 AM
What I'm about to say may be nonsense but it happened to me.

A printer never turned on again. I was going to take it all apart, hoping to find the fault.

By pure chance, I opened the small door on the right to remove the network cable and I made a discovery ... some cables were almost detached and badly fixed.

Once I reattached them properly, the printer started working again.

copyman
04-16-2019, 12:32 PM
Try turning on machine with the USB service port door open and no flash drive inserted. This metal cover is secured with one screw. This metal little cover blocks a sensor when closed. There is a bulletin about leaving this open for machine that won't boot up. It's just for troubleshooting purposes but will allow you to enter enter service modes etc. to format HDD, SSD, etc. I had one C224 I had to leave open permanently for customer to use machine.

Agree with other poster always turn off sleep mode. You have to go into service mode first and "permit" sleep mode change. Then turn off in admin mode.

gere1
04-16-2019, 12:50 PM
If the screen stays black, it may be the ram

Ari007
04-16-2019, 01:25 PM
Try turning on machine with the USB service port door open and no flash drive inserted. This metal cover is secured with one screw. This metal little cover blocks a sensor when closed. There is a bulletin about leaving this open for machine that won't boot up. It's just for troubleshooting purposes but will allow you to enter enter service modes etc. to format HDD, SSD, etc. I had one C224 I had to leave open permanently for customer to use machine.

Agree with other poster always turn off sleep mode. You have to go into service mode first and "permit" sleep mode change. Then turn off in admin mode.

Have to try this one..

Ari007
04-16-2019, 01:39 PM
For yesterday afternoon the machine was dead. Now suddenly the machine booted up with no display. It's completely booted, I can tell by listening to the sound of motors:cool:. Positive sign.

Bix
04-16-2019, 01:41 PM
It looks like it looks more like some cable not connected well

Ari007
04-16-2019, 02:18 PM
Re-checked every connector.... Waited 10mins thinking what to do... Inserted the tar file into the firmware slot.... Turned on the main switch and voila... It turned on>>read the tar file>>Displayed "Data Initialization Completed!">>Turned off main sw>>removed pendrive>>turned back main sw on>>not booted again...:confused::confused::confused::confused::c onfused:

copyman
04-16-2019, 09:46 PM
Did you try what I posted earlier?

gere1
04-17-2019, 09:37 AM
have you tried to change the ssd
I had something similar probe all the fimware I had
It worked a few days and another see black screen
when changing ssd the problem was not repeated

blackcat4866
04-17-2019, 07:07 PM
I've seen a black screen as a result of bad page memory. Once the page memory was changed I got other errors that led me to the PRCB (when I could read on the screen). =^..^=

rrrohan
04-18-2019, 03:12 AM

i didnt know this trick. handy to know. i only knew about entering it via trouble reset

last 224 i had stuck on 2 fins ended up being SSD.
But my symptoms were it got 2 shark fins and would reboot in a constant never ending loop
I couldnt load firmware or anything
But it did sound like everything was starting up

Oystercopy
04-18-2019, 03:30 AM
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but the original poster does not sound like a technician at all (I believe he even admits that in the beginning) but I've read through EVERY message in this thread, and the guy is in WAY over his head... he's doing things to the machine that even I WOULDN'T DO, without thorough research and consultation with other experienced techs, and I've been doing this over 40 years at this point. The C-224/284/364 series went through a SLEW of issues with HDD, boards, etc and a novice has no business going into this much detail on a machine he knows nothing about.

Just my 2 cents, but I would stop helping him for fear of what liability there may be on your (our) end.
OC

rrrohan
04-18-2019, 03:32 AM
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but the original poster does not sound like a technician at all (I believe he even admits that in the beginning) but I've read through EVERY message in this thread, and the guy is WAY over his head... he's doing things to the machine that even I WOULDN'T DO, without thorough research and consultation with other experienced techs, and I've been doing this over 40 years at this point. The C-224/284/364 series went through a SLEW of issues with HDD, boards, etc and a novice has no business going into this much detail on a machine he knows nothing about.

Just my 2 cents, but I would stop helping him for fear of what liability there may be on your (our) end.
OC

well if it is the SSD and he isnt a tech this will be the brick wall he hits when trying to order one

Ari007
04-18-2019, 05:18 AM
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but the original poster does not sound like a technician at all (I believe he even admits that in the beginning) but I've read through EVERY message in this thread, and the guy is in WAY over his head... he's doing things to the machine that even I WOULDN'T DO, without thorough research and consultation with other experienced techs, and I've been doing this over 40 years at this point. The C-224/284/364 series went through a SLEW of issues with HDD, boards, etc and a novice has no business going into this much detail on a machine he knows nothing about.

OC

Thank you for your suggestion:D. **No one will face anything.. this is a public forum, all you can do is help other techs if the issue is known to you. The tech will proceed with his own risk. :pBecause disaster machine's issues gets posted here:p.

Things are a little different here. KM follows a shady business policy and there are lack of techs. If I call the dealer to send a tech, they sends people without sound knowledge of these machines. They just come and starts to call another people over the phone and proceeds with just swapping things and checking if the machine is up or not.

I am an electronics & communication engineer and I'm well aware of the risks. I might be a newbie compared to the techs present in this forum but I do studied this particular machine and I do understand the working principle of it.

I had no other option than proceeding on my own because I have depended on the techs of the dealer and they left my machine sitting in my home at least four months.

Now, I do have connection with other dealers techs and I can order parts as per my requirements after consulting with them.

And Coming to this machine if anyone faces two shark fins just update the firmware to M0 right away.

Olivetti D-Color MF222Plus-282Plus-362Plus (http://upload.olivettifrance.fr/2index.php?dir=Machine%20Couleur/Copieur%20Couleur/D-Color%20MF222Plus-282Plus-362Plus/) firmware is same as Konica's bizhub C224e-C284e-C364e series. (I have tested it with C224e)

Now my request to all of you, if anyone can upload the technical bulletins from KM tech regarding this ssd issue it'll be a great help for me.

Thank you.

file (http://upload.olivettifrance.fr/2index.php?dir=Machine%20Couleur/Copieur%20Couleur/D-Color%20MF222Plus-282Plus-362Plus/&sort=filename&sort_mode=d)

Ari007
04-18-2019, 05:21 AM
have you tried to change the ssd
I had something similar probe all the fimware I had
It worked a few days and another see black screen
when changing ssd the problem was not repeated

I'm discussing it with the dealer's head tech. He asked me to visit his office, will have an F2F convo then proceed.

Ari007
04-18-2019, 05:29 AM
Did you try what I posted earlier?

Yes, I tried. But no luck.

If I discharge the DC power supply and turn the power on after approx 3hrs, the machine boots up and Shows two shark fins.

One good thing is it still accepts the firmware and installs it successfully, So the MFPB is not dead and as this machine faced display freezing changing the MFPB will not help. I'm looking forward to replace the SSD, told the dealer tech, he agreed and asked for a F2F convo as mentioned in the earlier post.

Ari007
04-18-2019, 05:56 AM
i didnt know this trick. handy to know. i only knew about entering it via trouble reset

last 224 i had stuck on 2 fins ended up being SSD.
But my symptoms were it got 2 shark fins and would reboot in a constant never ending loop
I couldnt load firmware or anything
But it did sound like everything was starting up

Faced this issue in Aug,18. Called the tech and he came & called a guy & followed that guy's instructions, did the unplug/plug DC power supply connectors and waited for a while...powered on & machine booted up..

If he had updated the K6 firmware of the machine to K9 and then M0 back then, my machine would have been fine today.

P.S: This machine never showed a problem regarding print quality. Toner changed with original konica toner just few days ago for the first time.

Ari007
04-19-2019, 06:02 AM
[Update]

After keeping the machine turned off for 10hrs, I turned the machine on. Booted up fine but took a longer time. CD390 error showed and recover data option is there but suddenly a internal error auto cancel screen came and when I was entering password to log in into service menu machine went off for restarting because of that error but not turned on again. It stayed off with power and notification light glowing. When I turned the main sw off/on, it didn't booted.

If I can click the recover data button then the machine will become fine again like previous time, work for some days and will show this problem again.

Meeting with the dealer's tech is rescheduled to Tuesday. I'll update once it happens.

I think if my machine's weird issue gets solved it'll help many other people.

Ordering Brand New MFPB is the worst option because they'll charge almost $1000 for that and you'll get an used working machine for around $1800 :rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Ari007
04-21-2019, 11:00 AM
[Update]

Machine booted up successfully.

Turned the machine on at 9am and turned off at 3pm.

Total 250+ duplex copies printed from pdf. (No errors/jams)

After turning the main sw off tried to turn it on again but it didn't started. Have to wait for another 4hrs (approx) to turn it back on again.

Issue is partially solved without replacing anything.

Will continue trying to fix it completely:). Updates will continue.

Any suggestions? anyone??:confused::confused:

allan
04-21-2019, 03:17 PM
Sounds funky for a solid-state device.
Did not read the entire thread due to the facepalm factor.
Have you changed out the PSU?

Ari007
04-21-2019, 06:49 PM
Sounds funky for a solid-state device.
Did not read the entire thread due to the facepalm factor.
Have you changed out the PSU?

Checked the PSU multiple times. Output is as per specs.

I have no other options left, that's why decided to go on my own.

Today that tech calls me and says "Sir we faced another case like your machine, please tell me how did you fixed this issue??"

I was like wtf!!... told "CMOS battery reset".. which went way over his head and he asked me to send a photo of it from my machine's motherboard!!!!

Now you can imagine my condition, and I have 0% trust on these guys.

Any comments on this:confused:

allan
04-21-2019, 09:08 PM
Its not a conventional computer stuff gets written to EEPROM and NVRAM.
Firmware, bit switches, user data, engine data and security stuff like license management.
The only thing apart from NVRAM would be a RTC that would need a battery.

SSD does not require a battery but is also NVRAM.

Also curious to what battery you are referring to and would also like to see picture...

Konica Minolta goes to great lenght on the newer machines to make sure LK's does not get reproduced by cracking.
There is something that is called original factory data that can get lost or security data that gets mismatched.
They don't share the secrets on how this works in detail.

The reset tool is too small in file size to be replacement data and is probably more like an instruction to clear and reset security related info.

The machines does a NVRAM backup every hour or so and if that does not go to plan you will get an error code in the range of C-D3XX.
C-D301 and C-D370 comes to mind.

Next time you get the machine running go and check the SC history for those codes.
Also try a manual NVRAM backup under enhanced security settings, my guess is the machine will lock up on you right then and there.
Let us know if that happens.

You could have fixed this by replacing SSD only. There was a time where KM release the update on the SSD to avoid a condition where the SSD would become unrecoverable.
They would then replace those SSD for the dealer on request but there was a time window where they asked that all machines be checked and upgraded.

Very possible that now you would need both factory issued SSD and MFPB and its said that that can't be done(so they say)... or a complete donor machine.
Also you can propagate the problem from boards you have on hand to the replacements that could cause much frustration.

There is not a lot of info on this topic because it should never happen.

Or its just a hardware issue like bad onboard RAM.

In short you are in over your head like mentioned...

Ari007
04-22-2019, 07:40 AM
In short you are in over your head like mentioned...

Yes.. Because I do know that if I don't get the factory issued SSD then donor machine is my only option, thats why I'm trying every possible combination.

And one more thing, I've faced that security warning/error two months back and successfully bypassed/fixed it.

Method:
When you get a security error, you can't login to service mode directly (Menu> Counter> Stop - 00 - Stop - 01).

To solve this: (Disconnect one terminal of CMOS Battery and wait for 5mins then Reconnect by applying a electrical tape, BAT1 in Schematic of Service Manual.)

1> Flash the tar. (In my case A145FW.TAR)
2> Boot to Trouble Reset.
3> Enter Service mode & Input Serial Number.
4> Your machine is fine.

Red circled in image attached. IMG20190211230545 — imgbb.com (https://ibb.co/CJVFNq0)

allan
04-22-2019, 11:31 PM
Hope you get your machine sorted.
Keep us informed on your progress.

Ari007
04-25-2019, 07:00 AM
Hope you get your machine sorted.
Keep us informed on your progress.

Had a chat with new dealer's service manager. They aren't willing to do the service, though I agreed with there AMC. But, one good thing is they will supply the parts as per order.

My machine is somewhat running fine now. I have increased the power save timer value from software switch settings. Just need the movie data and others to enable the HDD.

If anyone can help please do so.

And if anyone needs any help regarding the same issue I have faced, I can help as much as I can.

Thank you everyone. (Special Mentions: allan, rrohan, Bix, Copyman, gere1) :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

This thread will be updated if any further changes happens or anything gets fixed.

One moral quote, that I'm following : "If you can't make it perfect, at least make it usable" :):):) (little bit modified from Bill Gates quote, lol :p)

copyman
06-16-2019, 01:44 PM
Did you go into service mode and "permit" sleep mode, then go into admin mode and turn off sleep. There were known issues with "4" series not coming out of sleep mode.

allan
06-16-2019, 02:06 PM
The OP dropped this thread and started this one...

Bizhub C224e SSD Replacement (http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/konica-minolta/139572-bizhub-c224e-ssd-replacement.html)

Ari007
06-16-2019, 02:17 PM
Did you go into service mode and "permit" sleep mode, then go into admin mode and turn off sleep. There were known issues with "4" series not coming out of sleep mode.

Yes.. I found that from service manual.

And one more thing learned: once these problems start to appear there are no definite way to solve these.. They come one after another..

Custom Search