PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Copyright Error Message when Copying a document the customer has rights too

Custom Search

Cleveland Tech
04-22-2019, 03:54 PM
I am working on a several Konica Minolta MFP's that are giving a message about copyright issues when customer is copying books. the Models are 423 and 454e. The customer owns the rights to this document as they are ones that published this document. How do I get around this error. I have looked in the documentation and checked KM Knowledge base, and didn't find anything. I have not opened a ticket with KM technical support yet.

Thib
04-22-2019, 04:15 PM
Reduce by 1%

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

blackcat4866
04-22-2019, 07:48 PM
There 's more to it than just that. It must resemble some prohibited original in design and or color. =^..^=

darry1322
04-23-2019, 01:39 AM
I am working on a several Konica Minolta MFP's that are giving a message about copyright issues when customer is copying books. the Models are 423 and 454e. The customer owns the rights to this document as they are ones that published this document. How do I get around this error. I have looked in the documentation and checked KM Knowledge base, and didn't find anything. I have not opened a ticket with KM technical support yet.

Something in the books must resemble or be a security watermark. The copier itself isn't aware that it's owner owns the copyright. All the software can determine is that it isn't allowed to be copied.

Document Watermarks: Digital Watermarking Security for Documents, Files - Locklizard (https://www.locklizard.com/document-watermarking/)

emujo2
04-23-2019, 04:29 PM
This is similar to our local Sheriff offices. They insist on trying to copy money siezed as evidence...Their argument is "we are legally allowed to do so, make the copier work for us"..It took some time to get them to understand why this was prohibited on the copier...

Cleveland Tech
04-23-2019, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the replies. So it sounds like there is nothing that can be done. I think I am going to open a ticket with Konica and see what they have to say. I did email the contact and had him change the magnification to see what that does (as a shot in the dark) and have yet to hear from him.

907tec
04-23-2019, 07:51 PM
I don't think the consensus is "nothing can be done". More like: "there are gaps in this story". There is some component in the design of this "book" that is triggering the automatic fraud/copyright detection. You have not given us any description of these "books", or what mechanisms they might have to prohibit reproduction. You would have better luck finding a workaround if you provided us with all of the details.

Also...

When asking for measures to circumvent fraud-protection, I would make every effort to be transparent and forthcoming with information. While there are legitimate reasons for doing this, there are even more illegal reasons to do so. There is obviously something embedded in this "book" that is causing the issue, but you have made no mention of what that feature might be. If this customer produced the book, wouldn't they know what kind of security measures they employed?

guitar9199
04-23-2019, 09:13 PM
<snip>

If this customer produced the book, wouldn't they know what kind of security measures they employed?

Not necessarily. This may be something the printing company did in order to protect the copyright. Most likely a security mark within the page itself.

907tec
04-23-2019, 09:25 PM
Not necessarily. This may be something the printing company did in order to protect the copyright. Most likely a security mark within the page itself.

That is certainly a possibility. Which would beg the question: is there an agreement with the printer regarding further reproductions?

Either way: these machines have relatively simple copyright protection. It should not be difficult to figure out what exactly is triggering the protection (watermark, etc). Providing that information would help with designing a solution, as well as alleviating fears about illegal activity.

emujo2
04-23-2019, 09:29 PM
It's funny when you think about it..I received in the mail from a car dealership a $1000 discount off any car in the lot..This "coupon" was exactly the size, color and patterns of a true $1000 bill with the exception of the portrait..This was the dealer face. Other than that it was an exact duplicat front and back...But this managed to get printed..meanwhile the copier is rejecting scanned birth/death certs (necessary prints I would think), and saying "hey I think what you have here is copywritten..try something" else when scanning a gap insurance policy.. drives me nuts...

Synthohol
04-23-2019, 09:53 PM
the BRU may be triggered?
anyway, scan every page to a PDF then print the PDF.
just saying...

blackcat4866
04-23-2019, 11:38 PM
We came across this at a real estate dealership. They were scanning closing packets, including an image of the cash deposit. The call was for "Won't Scan". I don't remember the exact code that the Sharp MFP produced but it pointed directly to copyright protection. After a lot of questions and evasive answers we eventually discovered the color copies of the cash.

So we know two things from this:
1) The same copyright measures are engaged in scanning as in copying.
2) It doesn't help to try to hide what you're doing. It still won't work.

=^..^=

rspicer
04-24-2019, 12:52 AM
Just out of curiosity, if the company produced this book, don't they have it in digital form somewhere that can be printed to circumvent the entire scanning process?

rrrohan
04-24-2019, 01:40 AM
i thought it only did this if it has the SC kit installed.

couldnt you just uninstall it?

emujo2
04-24-2019, 01:47 PM
The SC kit added doucument security, but it only worked with other copiers that had the SC kit installed. You could take a SC copy protected printjob and copy it on any KM w/o the SC. or any other vendor that couldn't care less what you copied.

guitar9199
04-24-2019, 02:22 PM
If you take a look at the face of checks or newer bills, you'll notice some small "orange" boxes scattered in a random pattern on the document. When a copier sees those, it triggers the "Counterfeit Protection" and you'll wind up with a black page. I did some experimenting on a Ricoh copier last year, (don't hold me to these EXACT numbers) and if you reduce it to 74%, or enlarge to 126%, the document will copy just fine.

This was JUST for copies... I never thought to try simply scanning to a PDF, and then printing that. It's not a bad suggestion. I'd give that a shot and see what happens.

emujo2
04-24-2019, 02:45 PM
Scanning the same type of protected documents will produce the same results...MFP will stop the scan with a please check your documents message. This is to prevent a user from using the high quality scanning to get a job to a printer w/o this type of security software built in.

Custom Search