PDA

View Full Version : ¿c654 Fuster Bushing & Upper Pressure Roller?

Custom Search

Synaux
06-21-2019, 02:01 AM
*title edit (cannot change)****¿c654 Fuser Bushing & Upper Pressure Roller?**
I am "rebuilding" two c654 fusers, but cannot find two parts.

The important part is the bushing for the soaking roller (the black roller between the white cleaning roller and the inside or "lower" orange roller.
I don't know that the material is, but I have seen it recently in motors for laminators and it is GARBAGE.

Additionally I cannot find the outside or "upper" orange/pressure roller (perhaps I am blind?).
(I only need one as one has what looks like a puncture wound about 1.5mm in size; however, I gently cut it smooth and does not affect print quality--amazingly.)

Also, curious on opinions regarding simply cleaning the white felt-like cleaning roller? They look pretty sturdy, just crusty. Never played with one new, are the bristles supposed to be soft or stiff?

As always, thanks! :)

Bix
06-21-2019, 11:26 AM
The fuser is supplied as a single block

tsbservice
06-21-2019, 01:02 PM
He "rebuilds", either by making from two or more worn fusers one good, or buying aftermarket parts and changing bad ones.
But bushings and such can be tricky to find supplier.

Synaux
06-22-2019, 06:07 AM
He "rebuilds", either by making from two or more worn fusers one good, or buying aftermarket parts and changing bad ones.
But bushings and such can be tricky to find supplier.
Exactly, still haven't found the "upper" orange roller (but was busy today so haven't looked further).
I actually replaced the bushing and bearing for the black soaking roller by using one of those little black clutches used between the separation roller on a paper feed section (A00J563500).

The shaft itself was worn down to about half its original diameter due to the bushing failing (why the clutch works worry free). I plan on grinding down two of the brass busing for a paper feed section and JB welding together onto the shaft (grinding to the ID of the bearing not the shaft). Just a side weekend experiment I will try to remember to take some picts if it works :)

It is amazing that engineering did not machine the shaft so it would not grind on the side of the bearing to eliminate the need of a bushing. This is the only reason I can figure for this, but even at that, why in the world they didn't use a brass bushing is beyond me. I get cost, but something that is supposed to be relatively high yield, they really screwed the pooch on that one.

Further looking at various used cx50 and up series fuser cleaning rollers I have; I made the educated guess that the bristles are not doused with any oil...

Yeah I know :)

copyman
06-22-2019, 07:23 PM
I've rebuilt several with aftermarket sleeved rollers, belts,etc. Also aftermarket cleaning roller & brush roller (copylite). As you know what happens with these is the weird bushing you are talking wears then shaft is direct contact with bearing, metal to metal. There are bulletins addressing this and made part #'s for that bushings, etc. Supposedly the bushing material is different and is a different color now.

I would say they miscalculated when designing this fuser, thinking that cleaning setup would last 1.2 million pages! You are lucky to get 200K before needing to rebuild the cleaning part of the fuser. I do think you could get 1.2 mil or more out of those fusers if you check and change the cleaning & brush rollers. And of course any bushing, bearings, etc. that look worn.

escalante
06-22-2019, 11:52 PM
Which of the two bushings42929

Enviado desde mi SM-J701M mediante Tapatalk

copyman
06-23-2019, 05:43 AM
The red circle is one that K/M changed material.

blackcat4866
06-23-2019, 02:22 PM
It's the yellow square in your picture that I've see fail:

=^..^=

copyman
06-23-2019, 05:53 PM
It's the yellow square in your picture that I've see fail:

=^..^=

Hey BC, think you have them backwards. The brush roller uses a black bushing only and that is in the yellow square. They do fail but not nearly as often as the teflon cleaning roller which uses a bushing inside a bearing and that is in the red circle. Also the picture on your post clearly shows this. I have done so many of these I could do blindfolded!

blackcat4866
06-23-2019, 05:56 PM
Hey BC, think you have them backwards. The brush roller uses a black bushing only and that is in the yellow square. They do fail but not nearly as often as the teflon cleaning roller which uses a bushing inside a bearing and that is in the red circle. Also the picture on your post clearly shows this. I have done so many of these I could do blindfolded!

You're right. Often as not, the shaft is so damaged that replacement bushings and bearings are not enough. The first clue is the squeaking. The second clue is the immediate pile of rust when you set the fuser on the countertop. =^..^=

copyman
06-23-2019, 07:02 PM
I see you have had the pleasure of working on a few of these:rolleyes:

Your explanation of symptoms is spot on. Many times if it has reached the squeaking point it's too late and roller, bearing & bushing will have to be replaced. I also replace the brush roller at that point. Fortunately aftermarket rollers are not expensive. Only thing OEM I order are the bushings. I get the bearings from other K/M equip I'm scraping, FS-534 has like 4 of them, and just stripped a C451 and it had like 20 of them!!! Those black bushings are even used in other K/M applications so I hold onto them for the 654/754 fusers when I come across them. The weird bushing is OEM only.

escalante
06-24-2019, 02:21 AM
Good night. In the manual part of the Bizhub C554e found the codes of the bushings. The merging unit of the Bizhub C554e is very different from the Bizhub C654. I hope you can use the following PDF. and the images .https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190624/8128f8cefb2400a8c91b0a8724ee951c.jpg42941

Boltaction
06-25-2019, 06:12 PM
Good night. In the manual part of the Bizhub C554e found the codes of the bushings. The merging unit of the Bizhub C554e is very different from the Bizhub C654. I hope you can use the following PDF. and the images .https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190624/8128f8cefb2400a8c91b0a8724ee951c.jpg42941

Has anyone had any long term experience with leaving both cleaning rollers out of the fuser once the bushing wears down? I've had several where ive removed them with about 200k on the fuser and in my experience they've gone the rest of the way without issue.

Once the bushing wears to the point of metal on metal, could that be contributing to having to replace the fuser drive bushing and shaft on these models?

copyman
06-26-2019, 03:49 AM
Has anyone had any long term experience with leaving both cleaning rollers out of the fuser once the bushing wears down? I've had several where ive removed them with about 200k on the fuser and in my experience they've gone the rest of the way without issue.

Once the bushing wears to the point of metal on metal, could that be contributing to having to replace the fuser drive bushing and shaft on these models?

I have removed them and machine worked fine. Not sure about long term . Think the longest I may have run with them removed was around 50k. A few times I removed just the thinner brush roller.

Like i posted earlier if you change both cleaning rollers in low volume customers around 100- 150k the fuser will last the rated 1.2 mil or more likely until they upgrade.

Synaux
06-27-2019, 05:27 AM
Okay,I did things!

The bushings are for the red circled photo posted earlier by escalante (http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/members/escalante.html) which can be replaced with A2X0746500 (modified for c658 I believe)

Anyways, cleaning off the caked on crap off the black "soaking" rollers was a bit of a chore and while they suffered a few scratches and a ding each, they came out very nice. The bristled rollers cleaned very easily with the brush I took a shot of (I know, I know, but that thing was perfect for this job). They didn't come out "92 bright" but short of bleaching em, they appear to be in near new condition.

The brass bushings I filed via dremmel+stone worked pretty well (with a little hand filing), but if you decide to do this, use a something round in the ID do not do it in a vice. They will get smashed a little as the OD gets thinner and thinner (even when the vice is loose as possible). On the roller that had the worn shaft (see picts) I added a spring to keep the bushing & bearing close to what was left of the good part of the shaft. And I used one of the bushings I smashed and jammed it on the shaft to be sure only the bearing would spin. The bushings are not perfect, but this spring-attached-system should not need perfect.

I will inspect after around 50K, but unless I missed something fundamental in design, I have very little reason to suspect failure.

If you guys think I am crazy (I am) but this job was done for a friend, and also my little weekend arts and crafts endeavor :)

Thanks for all the replies. Next question, I cleaned the orange rollers with blanket wash, but never heard about adding conditioner to these "packaged" fusers. Thinking about spray silicone--opinions? Last time I personally had to fool with fuser oil was on the 8031s, if I recall correctly :)

blackcat4866
06-27-2019, 12:23 PM
Not bad. I don't expect that roller shaft to last long though. =^..^=

Synaux
06-28-2019, 12:40 AM
Not bad. I don't expect that roller shaft to last long though. =^..^=
Yup, it will be interesting to see how long it will last, but one promising part is that the bushing will not allow further wear to the shaft unless the bearing freezes up or the bushing breaks.

allan
06-28-2019, 10:14 AM

Yea I just remove them and not to much ill effect.

Custom Search