PDA

View Full Version : I always lose the screw of the developing unit

Custom Search

Azubakar
07-03-2019, 03:51 PM
Hi, i've been a technician for several years.
please tell me that I am not the only one who loses the top screw of the developing unit every time. I hope every time it has not ended up in the ph unit slot.
Every time that vine falls, it disappears into a black hole.

Phil B.
07-03-2019, 04:31 PM
please tell me that I am not the only one who loses the top screw of the developing unit every time. I hope every time it has not ended up in the ph unit slot.

sounds like you need to magnetize your screwdriver

Grey
07-03-2019, 10:03 PM
I have spent many wonderful high stress moments looking for tiny c-clips, allen screws, and springs
that blend into the carpet colors or shoot far across the room.

Have you taken off the back cover of a machine to find you fellow tech left loose screws strewn all over
the power supply, main board, high voltage supply?

Some screws you remove are just more of a problem when you hurry to much...just take a moment more.

So I would say that I have dropped the same damn screws on some models (Bizhub 500) with a magnetized
screwdriver due to going to quickly.

Grey

Phil B.
07-03-2019, 10:51 PM
I have spent many wonderful high stress moments looking for tiny c-clips, allen screws, and springs
that blend into the carpet colors or shoot far across the room.

Have you taken off the back cover of a machine to find you fellow tech left loose screws strewn all over
the power supply, main board, high voltage supply?

Some screws you remove are just more of a problem when you hurry to much...just take a moment more.

So I would say that I have dropped the same damn screws on some models (Bizhub 500) with a magnetized
screwdriver due to going to quickly.

Grey

over my 31yr in THIS field.. I have found the following rule/standard is the best approach:

start a job... do the utmost best you can ...NEVER HURRY... finish that job .. move on the to the next

I have a set way of handling screw / clips / pins (damnit pins and jesus clips i have dropped)

along with covers etc.

law of covers : NEVER put back on the covers UNTIL After you test successfully. (course the ones to MAKE it operational have to be put on)

screws: go in the cover they were removed from when moving to the next level of disassembly
(different screws - mark hole on INSIDE of cover )

a dab of grease on the shaft end will aid in keeping the Eclip from launching

a spot of tape on the opposite end of a spring can keep it from going into orbit also.

blackcat4866
07-03-2019, 11:16 PM

Honestly that has never happened to me, but I've been using the same magnetized screwdriver for 20 years and it hasn't dropped a screw yet.

I have launched my share of E-clips (and the moment that you find a replacement, the first one gleams up at you from the carpet: "Here I am!!! Dumbass!!!) and springs. I always look in my pants cuffs and pockets first. An astonishing number of times I have found the clip in my cuffs or hanging from the edge of my shirt pocket. Not that I could ever do that on purpose. The second place I look is under the heaviest thing in the room, because small things are gravitationally attracted to very heavy things that cannot be moved.

=^..^=

Phil B.
07-04-2019, 12:39 AM
Honestly that has never happened to me, but I've been using the same magnetized screwdriver for 20 years and it hasn't dropped a screw yet.

*** Only time I have dropped a screw.. using my backup driver that doesn't take the mag charge well :mad:

I have launched my share of E-clips (and the moment that you find a replacement, the first one gleams up at you from the carpet: "Here I am!!! Dumbass!!!)

***yeah..WHY is it that the customers ALWAYS have a blue/black with silver flake carpets in the Copier room? That's why I call them "Jesus" clips .. I always mumble JesusXXXX when they go flying!:cool:

and springs. I always look in my pants cuffs and pockets first. An astonishing number of times I have found the clip in my cuffs or hanging from the edge of my shirt pocket. Not that I could ever do that on purpose. The second place I look is under the heaviest thing in the room, because small things are gravitationally attracted to very heavy things that cannot be moved.

***I have found them in the blinds at the window before ( right behind the unit ) ..THAT'S why when I scrapped a machine or assembly I saved those springs ( I dip.. so the cans make GREAT little containers w/ white Avery on top with Springs - Small Screws - Bushings..etc A Nylon Cable tie over the stack will hold them and they can be re stacked in it )

=^..^=

Seems the newbies the newbies need to sit down with us " ole Farts " and take notes!

copyman
07-04-2019, 12:50 AM
I use a mag screwdriver but some screws & clips just don't hold. After many years of spending as much time trying to find a lost screw in machine as the repair itself took I just assume the screw or clip is going to fall into machine so I plan ahead. For instance I probably use this trick few times per week, when working on Kon/Min adf to change the P/U & feed rollers I put a folded piece of paper under the clutch in rear with adf door open, this way if clip or pin fall when removing clutch it falls right onto the paper.

blackcat4866
07-04-2019, 01:48 AM
I use a mag screwdriver but some screws & clips just don't hold. After many years of spending as much time trying to find a lost screw in machine as the repair itself took I just assume the screw or clip is going to fall into machine so I plan ahead. For instance I probably use this trick few times per week, when working on Kon/Min adf to change the P/U & feed rollers I put a folded piece of paper under the clutch in rear with adf door open, this way if clip or pin fall when removing clutch it falls right onto the paper.

A variation on that: I have a couple of HDD rare earth magnets which I can stick to the frame nearby. If the screw or clip is ferrous and comes within an inch of the magnet it jumps right over to it. Enough magnetism is attributed to the frame that it becomes magnetic too.

That doesn't help much on plastic clips though. =^..^=

Phil B.
07-04-2019, 02:06 AM
A variation on that: I have a couple of HDD rare earth magnets which I can stick to the frame nearby. If the screw or clip is ferrous and comes within an inch of the magnet it jumps right over to it. Enough magnetism is attributed to the frame that it becomes magnetic too.

That doesn't help much on plastic clips though. =^..^=

copyman & blackcat..

yup used those tricks also ( stick my screwdriver mag to frame for that)

so many It's takes a bit for all the stuff to seep back.. ol brain cell n stuff.. yeah that's my story ...

BTW the core of a mag roller .. attached to an office vac can pick up all those DAMNED PULLED STAPLES! I carry one.. just to "sweep" the carpet before I kneel or sit in that area! OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

geez I hope the newbie's are taking notes!

jonhiker
07-04-2019, 04:22 AM
My knee must be naturally magnetic, because it usually finds the dropped screw....

i also put something underneath a clip when it is tricky to get off as a safety net.

Bix
07-04-2019, 08:36 AM
lol, I take the topic.

What do you think is the best magnetic screwdriver?
I have tried so many, few have satisfied me

allan
07-04-2019, 12:01 PM
You need to magnetize it from time to time.
Used to use my car battery and some wire but that would let your screwdriver stick to the machine frames. Could hang it upside down from metal shelving.
That is too much tho.
Just get a proper magnetizer/demagnetizer.

blackcat4866
07-04-2019, 01:08 PM
My knee must be naturally magnetic, because it usually finds the dropped screw....

Oh Man! Kneeling on that dropped screw really hurts!

If you can still find the Schroder 47473/Craftsman Grip-Drive, it is a terrific screwdriver. Nice and heavy.

allan
07-04-2019, 07:15 PM
Oh Man! Kneeling on that dropped screw really hurts!

If you can still find the Schroder 47473/Craftsman Grip-Drive, it is a terrific screwdriver. Nice and heavy.

Well that is one way of finding it. :p
I just use the force.

rrrohan
07-05-2019, 10:49 AM
i always drop the B423 dev unit screws because they are non magnetic presumably to not interfere with the dev roller

allan
07-05-2019, 04:13 PM
i always drop the B423 dev unit screws because they are non magnetic presumably to not interfere with the dev roller

The feed units is the one that could lead to irritation on those models if you don't have the right kit.

Coptech
07-05-2019, 05:30 PM
I had one of the cheap screwdriver magnetizers that fit perfectly in the slot in my toolbag where I kept my favorite phillips screwdriver. Every time I pulled that screwdriver out of it's space, it automatically magnetized it for me. It was a happy accident but still a good idea.

copyman
07-08-2019, 01:15 PM
I use a panasonic electric industrial screwdriver with a dewalt magnetic bit holder. We discussed screwdrivers on this forum before. It's small, balanced, and Lith batt lasts weeks. Great for all the screws Jap's use in these copiers.

http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/attachments/rants-raves-and-everything-else/37741d1506805795t-cordless-screwdriver-z-q3_umcpix_-jpg

CompyTech
07-08-2019, 09:09 PM

Never actually lost those. But I have more than I can count lost many a screw, clips, pins and springs. That's why I keep a box of spares in my tool bag.

Custom Search