PDA

View Full Version : CQ Bizhub c3850 print control board replaced, will not boot past column screen. Need hel

Custom Search

Justin_sane
07-12-2019, 09:02 PM
Hey guys, big problem I cannot seem to solve...I have a 3850 which was throwing a code for toner cartridge M, saying it needed replacement after I put a new one in. Tried a bunch of things like cleaning the connector on the new cartridge, etc.

Anyway, I replaced the control board, swapped the EPROM chip, and now the machine won't get past the initial screen with the five columns you get when you first turn it on. I have ordered two boards, I get the same with both. I tried putting in the old board, and it boots past that screen and throws the magenta toner error.

Any ideas on what to do to get this pig back up and running? Many thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Synthohol
07-12-2019, 09:20 PM
double check the legs and orientation of the chip.

tsbservice
07-12-2019, 09:27 PM
Let me guess. You use used boards and didn't update FW?
Two big NO-NOs.

Never use the combination of the used MFP board removed from another machine and the original EEPROM. This combination causes corruption of stored data.

Note that the combination of the original MFP board and the used EEPROM removed from another machine also causes the same problem.

Do not replace the MFP board and the printer control board with new ones at the same time.

When replacing the MFP board, in order to make the existing counter data become available in the new board, be sure to back up the counter data following the replacement procedure below.

When the MFP board is replaced, upgrade the firmware to the latest version.

Your best chance will be to return original MFP and call a tech to find why toner isn't recognized.

Justin_sane
07-13-2019, 12:36 AM
I didn't replace both boards at the same time, and swapped the chip to the new control board as per Konica instruction and per the service manual. I am a tech, though very fresh to the field. Could you outline the procedure you'd follow to swap the control board out?

Justin_sane
07-13-2019, 12:38 AM
I guess I wasn't clear, I have only changed the one prj term control board, I have just tried multiple boards. But they sent HYTEC boards that I believe are repaired, and Konica service had said to go with an OEM board instead of one of those. Do you not think it will fix it, like have I screwed the pooch, so to speak?

blackcat4866
07-13-2019, 01:13 AM
I guess I wasn't clear, I have only changed the one prj term control board, I have just tried multiple boards. But they sent HYTEC boards that I believe are repaired, and Konica service had said to go with an OEM board instead of one of those. Do you not think it will fix it, like have I screwed the pooch, so to speak?

I still don't see the word firmware in your post. Are you ignoring tbservice and hoping we won't notice?

We've been doing this a long time, and when somebody doesn't answer a question it trips my bullshit meter. Customers lie to me all the time, so I have a pretty good idea what it sounds like.

Don't get me wrong. I don't mind when people lie to me. But you won't ever see me repeating myself. =^..^=

Woxner
07-13-2019, 01:20 AM
your problem is you did not follow the back up procedure before you changed the board. read the manual...... there is a soft sw you have to do to back it up otherwise you get the symptoms you have

Justin_sane
07-13-2019, 01:33 AM
No I'm not a customer, and I took this call on, and described it as I had known. It may be as you describe, but yes, I thought I HAD answered your question when I said I was a tech, who followed the service manual. But I'll figure it out, thanks anyway.

Woxner
07-13-2019, 01:53 AM
good to know. i was not trying to be rude or suggest you were not a tech. i have techs who just dive in then call me later. guess typing does not always sound right.

copyman
07-13-2019, 01:55 AM
Dude no one here is trying to scare you away. We may seem defensive because so may end users try and pull the wool over our eyes.

Anyway since you said you did everything by the manual like Wox said had to be done than I'm lost. I thought for sure you were going to say you didn't do the backup procedure. It sounds like you did everything right. Not sure if there a firmware reset tool for that model. But just to be clear did you do F/W update? Even if it has the latest F/W

Phil B.
07-13-2019, 05:52 AM
far too many times we hear:

I am a tech and have the service manual...

and more times than NOT we see they DIDN'T follow set procedures in the manual

+1 to BC

blackcat4866
07-14-2019, 03:29 PM
I didn't replace both boards at the same time, and swapped the chip to the new control board as per Konica instruction and per the service manual...

If I were to make a guess, I'd say this is exactly what you did: You swapped the chip, installed the board then scratched your head when it didn't boot up. Then you opened the manual and didn't much understand any of it. Then you assumed that the board was bad so you ordered another.

You said nothing about backups or firmware, so I'm going to assume that you don't have firmware or don't know how to do it. If you had done firmware you would have said that it loaded properly and known what level of firmware you used.

We will not hold it against you if you don't know how to do something, but obfuscating and hiding your ignorance only delays getting to the solution.

I like your username "Justin_sane" =^..^=

Justin_sane
07-15-2019, 03:25 PM
There is no obfucation. The chip as far as I know, has been backed up. I followed the procedure used in the enhanced securities pub. As for firmware, it is up to date, release 7. As I said, I took on this machine from another tech, I am in training, and was told to just swap out the board. However, I have gone in and followed backup procedures, and double checked everything is as it should be, and still nothing but the column screen. I have no problems admitting when I don't know something, as in regards to this it's pretty much everything. However, what I don't appreciate is coming on a forum and immediately being called a liar when I am trying to answer everything as best as I can with my 28 literal days on the job.

copyrooks
07-15-2019, 03:40 PM
Try Taking out the HDD and see if it boots and gives you a HDD error code. If it does i'd say either replace HDD or if not able see if you can format and see if it will boot up again. Not the exact same copier but with BH 4050s i've had issues where Konica says to replace MFP when stuck on pillars, when the issues turned out to be the HDD. The software seems to work very similar to the c3850 so i'd give that a try. Also Keep at it and keep trying i've been the the same boat where I would rely on answers from this forum for help as my boss would say the usual check your manual and call Konica. Good luck

emujo2
07-15-2019, 08:17 PM
I would only add that moving forward, anytime you replace a board, start by loading/reloading f/w at 1st power up..KM likes to have 1 board for an entire family and the f/w makes the difference..You may want to start from the f/w selection screen to be sure you are installing the correct version. E

Downunder
07-15-2019, 08:26 PM
Dare I ask - did you try another toner. We have had some faulty ones in the past. One instance it took three before one worked.

Cantechman
07-17-2019, 02:20 AM
Hey guys, big problem I cannot seem to solve...I have a 3850 which was throwing a code for toner cartridge M, saying it needed replacement after I put a new one in. Tried a bunch of things like cleaning the connector on the new cartridge, etc.

Anyway, I replaced the control board, swapped the EPROM chip, and now the machine won't get past the initial screen with the five columns you get when you first turn it on. I have ordered two boards, I get the same with both. I tried putting in the old board, and it boots past that screen and throws the magenta toner error.

Any ideas on what to do to get this pig back up and running? Many thanks in advance!

First thing to try is a new toner, I have seen that type of error a few times and a new toner fixed it, also this is a setting in service mode to force the machine to add toner, I called tech support one time and we were able to figure out the problem that way.

Justin_sane
07-19-2019, 04:25 PM
Hey guys,
First of all-thank you to the techs who tried to help with this issue, it took me 4 days to figure it out, but I did get this machine up and running like new...
I tried multiple toners to answer the above question, and indeed reloaded FW as well, but the FW I couldn't do until I got past my original issue. Konica support was absolutely no help, and so this took some digging and some shooting in the dark.
So the two things I did that seemed to get the board working...1. I reinstalled the old board, in order to get the menus up, and by using the stop 2,2,2,0,0, super secret service mode, lol, I was able to turn on engine DW softswitch 59 to state 1.
2. I installed a new toner holder.
3. I reinstalled the board, (new oem) and boom, problem solved.
Thank you guys who tried to help, though this wasn't a great experience for my first time on this forum, I can see it being a great resource to have in my future. Thank you!

blackcat4866
07-19-2019, 11:02 PM
Congratulations on your success! How did you pry that little tidbit out of the hands of the hotline? They're pretty tight lipped about those super secret service modes. Usually they would let me struggle for a month, then send the rep down to do it while I wasn't looking. =^..^=

Arcadian
07-20-2019, 06:40 AM
to be honest, updating the firmware you are just opening up a new can of worms really. if its working then why update it, obvious there was a system dip switch that had to be turned off/on, but good job in repairing.
sometime you have to not follow the manual, sometimes those thing just makes you spend money. just take your times and relax.

Cantechman
07-20-2019, 02:29 PM
Hey guys,
First of all-thank you to the techs who tried to help with this issue, it took me 4 days to figure it out, but I did get this machine up and running like new...
I tried multiple toners to answer the above question, and indeed reloaded FW as well, but the FW I couldn't do until I got past my original issue. Konica support was absolutely no help, and so this took some digging and some shooting in the dark.
So the two things I did that seemed to get the board working...1. I reinstalled the old board, in order to get the menus up, and by using the stop 2,2,2,0,0, super secret service mode, lol, I was able to turn on engine DW softswitch 59 to state 1.
2. I installed a new toner holder.
3. I reinstalled the board, (new oem) and boom, problem solved.
Thank you guys who tried to help, though this wasn't a great experience for my first time on this forum, I can see it being a great resource to have in my future. Thank you!

So once you turned on the switch to see the engine DW what did you do from there? That was the area I was refering to I just couldn't remember at the time. I think it was switch #5 I turned on.

Custom Search