PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remove yellowing?

Custom Search

mrfuser
07-17-2019, 12:48 AM
Ok gurus . What have you found to remove (or at least lighten) yellowing on the bizhubs?

copyman
07-17-2019, 04:53 AM
If they are yellow from the sun or smoke (not as often now a days) than not much can be done to bring them back. They fade throughout the whole plastic. The best I've found to get them looking decent is a damp sos pad and scrub in circular motions, than wipe off good. This after removing labels with WD-40, alcohol, etc. Final touch right before stretch wrapping is spray WD-40 onto paper towel and put a light coating of it on the brown part of covers and makes them look shiny and new.

By the way isn't it weird that some bizhub covers will yellow and one right next to it will stay nice & white !!!

Back in the day painting copier covers was a big business. When you did a complete down to the frame rebuild (don't try that today) you would send the covers away to be repainted to exact OEM colors. They also sold cans of OEM paints, Ricoh beige, etc.
Covers back than were mostly yellow from smoking in offices.

Toxic
07-17-2019, 08:28 PM
Nice catch Copyman,i was thinking problem is some yellow background or something like that . :D

tsbservice
07-17-2019, 09:20 PM
Have bizhub C224e in office waiting for me to experiment with yellow covers. Will report when done.
Some plastics are recycled, some not I think yellow ones are from recycled plastic.

blackcat4866
07-17-2019, 11:46 PM
Do a little Google searching. There's a company that "treats" plastic covers. It's a chemical treatment.

Yes, the yellowing goes all the way through the plastic, and the gentleman that does it claims that he can "restore" original condition. =^..^=

copiertec
07-18-2019, 01:38 AM
Back in the day painting copier covers was a big business. When you did a complete down to the frame rebuild (don't try that today) you would send the covers away to be repainted to exact OEM colors. They also sold cans of OEM paints, Ricoh beige, etc.
Covers back than were mostly yellow from smoking in offices.

I went to Sharp school at a facility that would repaint the entire covers and refurbish the copiers, zero the meters out and stamp a refurbished sticker on them, it was interesting to see the process to watch, the copiers looked brand new, they would then put them on a pallet and wrap them with some spay foam, box them and send them out.
I know you can't use appliance spay paint, I tried it once (maybe twice), and a few months later or less the printer looked worse because the paint was basically all scrapped off, it was a mismatch of old yellow panels with the white appliance paint; it looked as though maybe it had fallen off the back of a moving vehicle and rolled several times. Appliance paint works on metal stands but definitely not plastic printer/ copier covers, I guess that is why they call it "appliance paint." One of my My Homer Simpson moments!

allan
07-18-2019, 02:12 AM
Retr0bright

Hansoon
07-18-2019, 03:46 AM
Retr0bright - Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retr0bright)

Hans

DigiMan
07-18-2019, 12:03 PM
Basic ingredient... tetraacetylethylenediamine
Damn
I knew i had to choose an alchemist class

guitar9199
07-18-2019, 02:34 PM
My boss used to tell the customers, "That's the 'Gold Package' upgrade. We normally charge extra for that, but we're throwing it in as a 'Valued Customer' bonus!"

...not sure if anyone actually BOUGHT that line of "Bovine Scatology", but at least it SOUNDED nice.

arahael
07-18-2019, 06:17 PM
43146 1-2 mm to cover and give it to sun. Try search strongest %%

qbert69
07-22-2019, 04:02 PM
43146 1-2 mm to cover and give it to sun. Try search strongest %%

50% Volume Cream Bleach If You Can Get It!!!
BTW--The Yellowing is caused by Brominated Fire Retardants in the Plastic!!!
:cool:

PS--I use the 40% out in the bright sun for an hour plus and it works quite well!!!

Bix
07-24-2019, 10:53 AM
Hi, I remove the yellow layer directly with sandpaper and then proceed to polishing.
Printers come back like new

Custom Search