PDA

View Full Version : Glass Cleaner

Custom Search

Ikoner
10-07-2006, 04:27 AM
Is anyone using anything other then glass cleaner to clean glass and mirrors. I had someone tell me today that glass cleaner leaves a blue haze on mirrors and it causes problems so he uses alcohol. I think it is a bunch of BS, has anyone else heard about this blue haze thing?

CMB
10-07-2006, 11:33 AM
go to home depot and buy you some "ZEP" brand vinal window cleaner. its a blue color liquid that has silicone in it. it cleans very well and leaves the glass slick so originals won't stick while being circulated by a doc. feeder. last 10 times longer than brillanize. and its cheap.

knightfall
10-08-2006, 03:01 AM
I have been using windex on all mirros and platen glass on all analog and digital copiers for 16 years and never experienced any CQ problems, what the blue haze maybe from oils gathered from the copier that eventually settles on the mirrors and if you dont clean them off but rather smear them you will see a blue haze. If you like you can mix 50-50 of windex and alcohol but be careful alcohol is a solvent and will eventually remove the mirror finish off the mirror.

10-08-2006, 03:42 AM
the blue haze maybe from oils gathered from the copier that eventually settles on the mirrors and if you dont clean them off

I agree the blue haaze on the mirror is oil, and if that is piled up on the mirrors to level that it starts causing CQ issues then I don't know what to tell you other then someone failed to clean the mirrors on the 15 or 20 previous calls. I have been using Zep glass cleaner forever and it works great.

tonerdude
10-27-2006, 06:10 PM
Been using Windex for 20 years. Blue haze is from something else (oil, fumes)

CMB
10-27-2006, 09:39 PM
that blue haze on the optics is comming from ozone.

Ctl-Alt-Del
10-28-2006, 05:05 AM
that blue haze on the optics is comming from ozone.

Thast what I was tought back in the stone age. Seems like it was only yesterday.:(:(:(

pspahr
07-14-2008, 01:57 AM
Denatured alcohol. By it at Lowes or Home Depot. Cleans any and all glass surfaces and leaves no streaks. Pretty much all I use anymore on mirrors anymore. If first pass doesn't clean, second one does. Don't know if I'd use ZEP on any of the optics, but on the exposure glass probably wouldn't be bad idea. I haven't used Brillianize or anything like it in the last 5 years except in maybe a couple cases. Really isn't needed if you have an almost non-existent base of analog machines.

Then again, I'm considered strange in a lot of aspects.

djbass
07-14-2008, 06:13 AM
I have seen blue haze as a result from oil, ozone, mouse pee take your pick.

I prefer personally to always dry wipe the mirrors & optics with a lint-free cloth (chux work well).

Never heard of Zep but Mister Sheen also leaves a slippery coating that I use for the copyboard glass.

blackcat4866
07-14-2008, 10:13 PM
For the last decade I've been mixing up my own recipe of glass cleaner. It's very cheap and very effective. Plus, I have an aversion to ammonia. I've had a bad experience with it (mixed with bleach). Here's the recipe:

(3) gallon container to mix and decant as needed
(2) gallons of windshield washer solvent (the blue stuff for the car, avoid the orange scented version)
(2) quarts vinegar scented Windex (no ammonia, please!)
(1) cup cleaning vinegar (optional)

It cleans glass with no streaks.
It never freezes.
It evaporates quickly.
It doesn't smell like ammonia.
You can make (3) gallons for ~$5.00

It won't do a thing for your blue haze though. Thats either fuser oil or ozone, and you've got to get serious to take that off. 99% pure alcohol will do it, then remove the streaks with glass cleaner.

=^..^=

prntrfxr
07-23-2008, 04:27 AM
I use alcohol, followed by Brillianize. Coats the glass, making it dust and fingerprint resistant. Documents slide on/off easier too (customers like it)

nmfaxman
07-23-2008, 04:37 AM
Windshield fluid.
Alcohol based with soap. No deposit. I even use it to wipe down the inside of the machine.
Cleans, cheap, no deposit and dryies fast.
If I don't have fluid I will use water.

WOMBAT
10-17-2008, 11:00 AM
I've been using Windex for 27 years without any issues with copy quality. For Mirrors I've always used Hot water and a Chux It has never failed It always removes Oil ,smears and whatever.

mrgoodcopy
10-17-2008, 02:46 PM
Advance Auto sells glass cleaner in a spray can made by Stoner it's called invisible glass works very well!!!:eek:

imaginGuru
11-26-2008, 03:58 AM
just order Brillianize from Katun, haven't had any problems with it since the analogs era.

Custom Search