PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub C458 VOIP/Fax Issues

Custom Search

907tec
07-19-2019, 09:05 PM
I have a customer with a BH C458 and a recently purchased fax kit. Their phone system is all digital, so there is a little A-D converter box supplying the fax line (2-wire). After slowing down all the TX/RX speeds and increasing delays/wait times, I have local faxes working as good as can be hoped for. However...long distance faxes are giving me trouble.

There is an extra wrinkle, as well: they have a service from their phone provider that requires a dept. code (and a PBX code) to be entered when dialing any long distance number (ie. 8 P 1-123-456-7890 P *1900). I have tried to dial using Off-hook, one-touch, and direct input, all with the fax monitor speaker turned up. Every time, the machine will start the transfer immediately after the dept code is entered. The phone never rings, it just launches right into the transfer squelches. Eventually, you will just hear the dial tone in the background while the modem continues to talk to nobody in particular.

Of course, this isn't a problem with the 15 year old POS they have upstairs.

The customer's IT provider has recommended using a fax service, Documo M-Fax, for all outgoing faxes. This sounds great, and the IT people have had good success with it in other locations, but I am having a hard time figuring out how to cleanly implement it.

In order for this service to work, I need to find a way to quickly swap back-and-forth between two different "From Addresses" in the Scan-to-Email tab. I don't have any experience with the various panel customization tools available, so I'm hoping there is an easy solution that I am just not seeing. Ideally, I would love to have two separate "Scan" tabs on the home/menu screen, one defaulted to the fax-forward "from address", and one defaulted to the scan-to-email (customer's) "from address".

Is this, or something similar, possible? I don't think the users at this particular location can handle manually selecting the from address for each job, so I want to make it as simple as possible.

kingarthur
07-23-2019, 04:48 PM
if you're having trouble faxing numbers a distance away....set the fax to "overseas mode"

bsm2
07-24-2019, 03:05 AM
Not sure if Koncia has this settings but Kyocera do a PBX setting

907tec
07-25-2019, 12:31 AM
AFAIK, the PBX setting only applies to the "prefix" that they have to dial to reach an outside line. Overseas mode doesn't seem to be the issue, either, as the dept. code system is provided by our local telco.

In any event, after talking with the customer and their IT contractor, we just switched to PC-Fax for outgoing.

blackcat4866
07-25-2019, 12:58 AM
They don't want much, do they?

Have you tried adding four pauses after the access code to delay the starting of the T1 timer? Some machines will ignore pauses after the phone number but the pauses will happen if there's another digit (even an unnecessary digit), so the answer might be: 8 P 1-123-456-7890 P *1900 PPPP or 8 P 1-123-456-7890 P *1900 PPPP2

Unnecessary digits are usually just ignored once the line requirements are met.

You can set up multiple sent-from fax identities. I should think that information could be stored in a memory button, but I'm not sure about that.

There's no easy solution to switching up sent-from identities for scan to email. It's programmed in the web interface only and not easily changed for transaction to transaction changes. And those credentials are in two places: sent-from address and administrator email. Both have to match and be valid email destinations and the passwords have to match. I don't see you getting past this hurdle.

Once we had a Kyocera being put up against a Lexmark e-fax job specific device. The Kyocera could be programmed for one combination, but was just not versatile enough to compete with the Lexmark job specific device. If you get this contract you'll wish you hadn't. =^..^=

907tec
07-26-2019, 07:54 PM
Thanks, BC. Yeah, it's definitely a complex series of requests from this customer. I never thought of adding pauses afte the *1900 code, but that totally makes sense. Same with the superfluous number at the end of the string. I'm in a similar situation as you were with the Kyo/Lex: IT contractor has a Xerox in another location that handles this sort of thing concisely. Very thankful that the customer is pretty easy-going and that I've known the owner of the (new) IT company since high school.

Appreciate the tips on this situation, as I am sure they will come in handy sometime in the future.

Custom Search