PDA

View Full Version : Scan to Email yahoo or gmail

Custom Search

SmellsHot
07-29-2019, 05:58 PM
I've been using a generic yahoo/gmail address for the machines from address. Just recently i've had an issue with both. Gmail account forced password change and so I changed it....customers call in and I set it back up. After about the 5th machine the account locked up. I can login from the web but it won't send from any of the machines(server connect error). My yahoo account I can log in to as well, but it will not scan anymore for me. I created a new yahoo account and it worked fine for 4-5 machines than each one failed to send again(server connect). I signed up for a gmail business account and pretty much the same thing. It locks up again after a few....mainly do to all the different IP sources in the activity i'm guessing.

So what are people doing for their customers in the field?

guitar9199
07-29-2019, 06:24 PM
I've been using a generic yahoo/gmail address for the machines from address. Just recently i've had an issue with both. Gmail account forced password change and so I changed it....customers call in and I set it back up. After about the 5th machine the account locked up. I can login from the web but it won't send from any of the machines(server connect error). My yahoo account I can log in to as well, but it will not scan anymore for me. I created a new yahoo account and it worked fine for 4-5 machines than each one failed to send again(server connect). I signed up for a gmail business account and pretty much the same thing. It locks up again after a few....mainly do to all the different IP sources in the activity i'm guessing.

If a customer needs scan to email, but doesn't have a specific address for the copier to use...I will create one just for them using gmail (ie: "RandomCompanyscans at gmail...) That way you don't run into gmail locking up because there are 25 different IP addresses using the same email.

Also it makes the customer responsible for email security and if they run into a problem with authentication, I just remind them that it's THEIR email address and they have control over it...not me.

copier tech
07-29-2019, 06:42 PM

Make sure you turn on "allow less secure apps"

Also log into this account & check the emails you will get notified of an unrecognised lon in etc all you do is make this a "safe" & they can scan again.

I have one gmail account for multiple users not issue at all.

rrrohan
07-30-2019, 01:59 AM
Make sure you turn on "allow less secure apps"

Also log into this account & check the emails you will get notified of an unrecognised lon in etc all you do is make this a "safe" & they can scan again.

I have one gmail account for multiple users not issue at all.

Does yahoo have similar setting to change? Been years since anyone asked me to use yahoo address

EarthKmTech
08-02-2019, 05:51 PM
Does yahoo have similar setting to change? Been years since anyone asked me to use yahoo address

yahoo does have a setting to allow connections from devices that don't meet their "security" standards.

I had to change this setting to enable the default mail client to work with my mothers yahoo account on her pc running debian 10 just this week.

bsm2
08-02-2019, 06:10 PM
NEVER EVER setup a customers email account or use a generic account for scan to email PERIOD! :cool::cool:

Always get the email account information from them or have them set one up.

Synthohol
08-02-2019, 10:10 PM
customers dont want to be bothered nowadays, or have no IT person to help.
thats not nice customer service if you refuse to help.
if you have to setup a gmail for them i dont see the big deal, i just use MFP and the tag# for the name.
i let them create the password and they have to enter the password themselves. they type it into gmail and the copier once. no big deal.

EarthKmTech
08-02-2019, 11:50 PM
I use gmail regularly when a customer has no other option. I set it up and leave them with the details.

There is an issue with privacy in that every scan sent is saved in the sent items folder of that gmail account, unless it is set not to. It needs to be explained to them that it's their responsibility to ensure they are deleted on a regular basis if so desired. Usually customers scanning data of a sensitive nature will be using office365 or their own server anyway, I wont use gmail in these cases.

bsm2
08-03-2019, 12:17 AM
The Problem is two fold ONE YOU and Company OWN IT when it stops working IE free service calls, 2nd is HUGE Legal issue. :cool::cool:
Always use the customer email settings PERIOD!

Modern email retention laws require all organizations to quickly execute a legal hold on archived email and provide data in the case of litigation.”

Everything to Know About Email Retention Laws (https://www.intradyn.com/email-retention-laws/)

Synthohol
08-03-2019, 03:40 AM
while i genuinely respect your opinion and conviction on the matter, i truly do, but man there is no reason for huge font screaming, i can hear you yelling it on this side of the mason dixon line :)
there is no way im going to tell the customer that just bought a $20,000+ copier they cannot scan because they dont know their settings or account info and they dont have a regular IT person.
as long as i dont use my own addy for recovery email but use any of the customers addy as the contact/recovery. im there to help, not cause anxiety.
fwiw, i feel just as strongly as you do about people that chip drums or use aftermarket toner or other supplies but i dont scream at them, i do me, they do them.
years ago i left a service manager position because they insisted on pushing inferior supplies/products on their customers.

bsm2
08-03-2019, 12:57 PM
while i genuinely respect your opinion and conviction on the matter, i truly do, but man there is no reason for huge font screaming, i can hear you yelling it on this side of the mason dixon line :)
there is no way im going to tell the customer that just bought a $20,000+ copier they cannot scan because they dont know their settings or account info and they dont have a regular IT person.
as long as i dont use my own addy for recovery email but use any of the customers addy as the contact/recovery. im there to help, not cause anxiety.
fwiw, i feel just as strongly as you do about people that chip drums or use aftermarket toner or other supplies but i dont scream at them, i do me, they do them.
years ago i left a service manager position because they insisted on pushing inferior supplies/products on their customers.

It's not that hard to get the customer email setting , easy for me just tell them the copier is there new employee and it needs it's own email address, DONE!
The reason YOU can't setup there email account is not only for you and company protection but security and legal reasons. I have NEVER failed at getting the setup completed once the customer understands why the email must be setup the correct way. You must use the customers provided smtp settings! THE END!

copier tech
08-03-2019, 03:11 PM
It's not that hard to get the customer email setting , easy for me just tell them the copier is there new employee and it needs it's own email address, DONE!
The reason YOU can't setup there email account is not only for you and company protection but security and legal reasons. I have NEVER failed at getting the setup completed once the customer understands why the email must be setup the correct way. You must use the customers provided smtp settings! THE END!

This is a great reply.

Ask the customer how they create an email for their “new starters” so jane@yourcompany.com

Simply use this process & smtp settings to create a scan account “scans@yourcompany.com”

Synthohol
08-04-2019, 12:10 AM
of course if the customer has access to create an account i have them do it, that was not the point at all.

Custom Search