PDA

View Full Version : Konica BH C654e reset HDD lock password issue

Custom Search

blazebusiness
08-04-2019, 05:41 PM
Got another super low meter C654e from the local wholesaler. We always test the machines prior to purchase and then in our office we clean/prep the unit, install all the most recent firmware, then we go to initialization in service mode and initialize all prior to selling the copier.
After initialization, we always have to turn back on the HDD and reinstall the movie data. Then the machine is normally ready to go.

This machine, however, after doing the initialization , came up with a C-D010 code. Enabled HDD in service mode and is now prompting to reset HDD lock password.

Suggestions appreciated.

Synthohol
08-04-2019, 06:28 PM
usually there is the other option to simply format it.
if you boot up go into admin mode, it should immediately ask to either enter in the password or format the drive.
just format it and reinstall the movie data.

blazebusiness
08-04-2019, 06:41 PM
usually there is the other option to simply format it.
if you boot up go into admin mode, it should immediately ask to either enter in the password or format the drive.
just format it and reinstall the movie data.

Thanks for the reply.

Entered Admin Settings mode which prompted for new password. Entered new password which was accepted with no errors & message on display said password has been reset or changed-turn power off & on.
Cycled power and rebooted.
Reset HDD lock password displayed again. Tried above procedure 3 times---same result. Accepted new password---prompted to reboot----error returned.

Decided to update firmware---MFP download ---N.G. displayed
ADF ,Printer , Scanner Firmware downloaded/installed fine. Turned copier off & on and I guess I bricked the machine.
Now has message that "Error this is invalid external memory" and cannot boot up or enter service mode or do anything.

Have read previous posts about similar issues which turned out to be a nightmare to recover from usually requiring mfp board , ssd , hdd and such things to repair.

So quick , concise summary of how this occurred:

1. Working copier tested--completely functional
2. Initialization----initialized all in service mode
3. Came up with reset hdd lock password message
4 Reloaded firmware----MFP download NG All other firmware loaded fine
5. Copier will not boot---goes to screen saying external memory invalid. Cannot access service mode or anything.

Synthohol
08-04-2019, 08:01 PM
try turning HDD off and unplug it.
boot up
says format SSD say yes
make sure copier works normally
turn on HDD and see if problem still happens.
also in security in admin make sure enhanced/data overwrite is all off.

blazebusiness
08-04-2019, 08:17 PM
try turning HDD off and unplug it.
boot up
says format SSD say yes
make sure copier works normally
turn on HDD and see if problem still happens.
also in security in admin make sure enhanced/data overwrite is all off.

Good man for all these replies----I am researching the issue on the Konica website and will get back to you with my progress. I don't think disconnecting the HDD on the e series will let me back in though. That worked on the non-e machines but even so, I will try it (and other stuff) and let you know.
We initialize these used low meter units all the time and never had this happen.....but guess this one is going to force us to delve a little deeper than normal and learn a little more. Thanks again, and I will followup and post the fix so others may benefit in the future.

Woxner
08-04-2019, 09:12 PM
try this
Use the last 6 digits of the serial number twice followed by 8 zeroes. An example for the bizhub C360 serial number is [020866]. (Do not use the item number A0ED012portion.)
The unlock password using the above example is 02086602086600000000

this may have had bizhub secure. unless you know the password you cant reformatt from admin mode.you can change the hdd or reformat on laptop last is the reset tool

blazebusiness
08-04-2019, 09:42 PM
try this
Use the last 6 digits of the serial number twice followed by 8 zeroes. An example for the bizhub C360 serial number is [020866]. (Do not use the item number A0ED012portion.)
The unlock password using the above example is 02086602086600000000

this may have had bizhub secure. unless you know the password you cant reformatt from admin mode.you can change the hdd or reformat on laptop last is the reset tool

That's what I think happened. The machine had bizhub secure which created the problem after we hit initialize all. Normally, initializing a machine works fine. But not with bizhub secure. That caused a C-D010 code(security issue) since the HDD was password protected. And I also suspect some of the bizhub secure settings reside on the mfp board or at leat protect against changes to the mfp controller and may have blocked our attempt to do a complete firmware install. All firmware items updated successfully except the mfp controller which was prevented from updating probably by those security settings.
But our firmware attempt has now locked us out completely with the exception of being able to attempt another firmware install. We have no service mode access---only able to boot to firmware install from the usb (which always fails to install the mfp controller firmware).

Question now is how to resolve this. I am reluctant to try the .tar file to do a reset. Might be the only option though.

copyman
08-04-2019, 10:57 PM
Just had the same thing about 6 months ago. Finally got rid of it by doing a "Physical" format of the HDD. It took like 5 hrs so just let it run all night in my shop.

Not sure if it was for this issue or one of those other odd messages when buying off lease machines, but might of been something else I did that I got off google search. Something like putting in a real long password 2 x's or something like that. I'll try and find it.

Synthohol
08-05-2019, 12:33 AM
take the HDD out, put in a PC, delete all the partitions, delete the volume.
create simple volume, do NOT format.
put back in copier and do a logical format.

blazebusiness
08-05-2019, 01:14 AM
take the HDD out, put in a PC, delete all the partitions, delete the volume.
create simple volume, do NOT format.
put back in copier and do a logical format.

Don't see how that will get me past the current most urgent issue of copier won't boot up at all. It seems like I have got to resolve that issue before I can attempt to deal with the Hard drive problem. In my thinking, the mfp controller is not going to work unless I can load the firmware/do a reset.

But if I'm wrong and If thats's the case..just need to replace the hard drive ..would taking the HDD from another C654e and swapping it work instead? Or do I need to deal with the copier not booting up first?

blazebusiness
08-05-2019, 02:03 AM
Don't see how that will get me past the current most urgent issue of copier won't boot up at all. It seems like I have got to resolve that issue before I can attempt to deal with the Hard drive problem. In my thinking, the mfp controller is not going to work unless I can load the firmware/do a reset.

But if I'm wrong and If thats's the case..just need to replace the hard drive ..would taking the HDD from another C654e and swapping it work instead? Or do I need to deal with the copier not booting up first?

Pulled another 320gb HDD from another low meter working 654e and installed in the C654e with the external memory invalid/no boot up C654 and got the same exact message.
Since the firmware for the mfp did not install properly, I will not be able to address the HDD issue until I fix the boot issue. The following steps to try come to mind:

1. Try to install just the mfp controller software first instead of letting the machine auto install all the firmware.
2. Try reverting to an earlier version of mfp firmware
3. Use the reset tool if that does not work to see if the mfp recovers
4. Replace the mfp pcb

Then, if I can get it too boot, maybe I can finally address the HDD lock password issue.

blazebusiness
08-05-2019, 02:43 AM
Left HDD unplugged and then----The machine finally took the mfp controller firmware update after multiple tries. Plugged HDD in again-----Now back (thankfully) to the original problem of HDD lock password.
Went to admin and entered a new password which was accepted but upon reboot the reset HDD lock password message still appears. Feels good, though, to be just working on that problem instead of the no boot issue. Formatting the HDD now (physical format).
P.S. For some reason logical format could not be selected.

Anyway, humble thanks for the replies.

copyman
08-05-2019, 02:43 AM
I found this on copytechnet and this worked for me.

"From the service mode I had to install the HDD. Then upon reboot, copier displayed "HDD Lock Password", went into Admin mode, Security, HDD Settings, then HDD Lock. The screen came up prompting me to enter a password twice. It rejected a bunch of passwords, finally I entered 123456789101112131415 and it liked it. I guess they wanted a really long password. Entered it again and it accepted it. Rebooted the copier, reformatted the HDD, which took hours, Rebooted the copier and then did a Logical Format. Rebooted again and it worked. At one point the display did say something about an encryption password but I only saw that message once. Copier is all better now. THANKS THANKS THANKS to both of you"

blazebusiness
08-05-2019, 04:41 AM
Ok, now up and running:

If you have a machine running Bizhub Secure which is just a fancy way of saying The HDD security features have been enabled, do a complete initialization in service mode to sanitize the unit for the next customer and then enable the HDD you will get the:

"Reset HDD lock password"

No big deal if you know what to do next. But if you reload the firmware without addressing the issue of enabled security, you may have a problem installing the MFP controller firmware and receive a NG download message. All other firmware items will load fine.
When you cycle power , though, the machine hangs up and displays invalid external memory.

To fix that, unplug the HDD and then insert your thumbdrive and try to reinstall the mfp firmware. Make take a few tries. Took us twice. Then the machine booted up normally again. Reconnected the HDD and now back to the original problem of HDD lock password message. You can solve this easily by:

Go to admin and set a new password. You must choose a 20 digit password. Then go to service mode and do a physical format (yes, it takes forever) and reboot. You may have noticed you cannot choose logical format. When you reboot, go back into service mode , this will now be enabled. You must do the logical format after the physical format to get rid of the HDD Lock password reset message.

After that, machine should have all firmware reinstalled one last time. If not, you may get a C-D012 code. (We did) But that should be resolved by installing the latest firmware one last time.

Learned a lot about Bizhub HDD security on this one.......wanted to be very detailed explaining the fix ----with the hope that this info helps others in the future.

tsbservice
08-05-2019, 06:44 PM
If bizhub secure is acting with HDD lock password, simply do physical followed by logical HDD format.

D Colour
10-24-2019, 03:28 PM
Many thanks for this. Was getting pretty much this exact problem on an ex lease C284e. Disconnecting the hard disk allowed us to completely install the latest FW. Just going through the physical format at present.

Custom Search