PDA

View Full Version : Can you replace Ethernet connector on Bizhub C654e MFP board?

Custom Search

SAR
08-08-2019, 05:25 PM
I have a customer who damaged their Ethernet connector on the copier. I'm amazed that I have never dealt with this problem in 32 years working with copiers.
Is there a way to just replace the connector without having to replace the MFP board?

Thanks!

guitar9199
08-08-2019, 05:34 PM
Depends on the model of machine. Most newer MFPs use an integrated Ethernet port...so in those cases you won't be able to replace it separately.

An option would be Hytec Dealer Services...sending it in for "Repair and Return". But as a field tech, I'd say no.

tsbservice
08-08-2019, 06:22 PM
It depends on what kind of damage customer did. I have to replace many Main/MFP/System boards with integrated Ethernet port due to electrical damages. But if they only broke connector itself my guess will be it can be replaced without specialized services like Hytec for example.

blackcat4866
08-08-2019, 08:50 PM
If it's a single layer board ... maybe. When digitals first came out I carried these cheapo modem cards you could get from the bargain bin for $5. If you have adequate soldering skills it can be done, at least on the older equipment. We had a few billable customer that broke the latching part only. If you can get a tiewrap nearby to take the tension off the connector ... that might work too. =^..^=

copyman
08-08-2019, 09:19 PM
Funny this thread would show up. I just sent a C654 MFP board to Hytec for repair and waiting for it to be returned. The symptom was no ethernet but everything else worked fine. This happen after a lightning storm. Happen to four machines, (2) C654 & (2) C754e. So in this case it's not the port that's bad.

By the way price for repair is around $450

Synthohol
08-08-2019, 10:49 PM
if the customer damaged it they can file a claim with their insurance company and just pay for a new board.
nice guys finish last. if you can solder on a new connector you will marry it.
heres a thought though, if all they need to do is print to it you can get a USB to ethernet adapter and just pop it in the usb (type B) port and print.
scanning can be done to a flash drive and walked back to a computer for whatever.
just throwing other options at ya ;)

in any event, if they admit to damaging it, they can see if their deductible for a claim cost more than a new board.
i mean why have insurance if you never use it? my unsolicited .02

copyman
08-09-2019, 01:50 AM
if the customer damaged it they can file a claim with their insurance company and just pay for a new board.
nice guys finish last. if you can solder on a new connector you will marry it.
heres a thought though, if all they need to do is print to it you can get a USB to ethernet adapter and just pop it in the usb (type B) port and print.
scanning can be done to a flash drive and walked back to a computer for whatever.
just throwing other options at ya ;)

in any event, if they admit to damaging it, they can see if their deductible for a claim cost more than a new board.
i mean why have insurance if you never use it? my unsolicited .02

My customer put a claim in with insurance co. They ended up buying 4 Biz C754e's from me to replace the four C654 & C754e. They made out good because the two C654's had millions page counts plus wasn't even "E"'s. All four replacement C754e's had well under 100k on each one.

My theory is since all other functions worked on all 4 machines, just no network, that the surge protectors did their job. Problem is customer didn't utilize the "in and out" ports for network cable & fax lines on the surge protector, and lightning surge also came through network line taking out that portion of the MFP pwb.

They also lost thousands of dollars of other stuff in their building. Around $70k damage from one 10 min storm. I told their IT guy to use the "in / out" port so it don't happen again, was in there earlier this week and still not using them. They are a charge customer so all I can do is make suggestions.

copyman
08-09-2019, 01:41 PM
On another note, I haven't looked at the solder joints for the network port on a MFP board but looking at most newer Kon/Min boards they are micro soldered or the whole pwb is dipped into solder bath. There is no way you can solder components onto these boards without special equipment, etc

cycle66
09-11-2019, 09:29 PM
I have replaced the Ethernet connector on a c280 because the cable wouldn't latch, I used my Hakko FR-301 desoldering tool and it worked perfectly.

Phil B.
09-11-2019, 10:13 PM
On another note, I haven't looked at the solder joints for the network port on a MFP board but looking at most newer Kon/Min boards they are micro soldered or the whole pwb is dipped into solder bath. There is no way you can solder components onto these boards without special equipment, etc

those boards are 'wave soldered'

pretty cool setup.. you have a conveyor that carries the boards thru a "solder wave" machine .. the ones I have worked with had 2 different solder areas and one "water wash" tub.. all you need is 3 workers... one to load the boards on the conveyor... one to watch the controls of the machine and one on the other end to remove from conveyor and put in anti-stat crates

Custom Search