PDA

View Full Version : C224e Print Quality Issues (Problem & Solution)

Custom Search

srvctec
08-09-2019, 11:27 PM
A co-worker (larweedad on here) had a call on a C224e with light prints on the side of the page nearest the rear of the machine. All 4 colors were identical with the symptom. He changed the belt and transfer roller which made no difference. Also changed the interior side door that holds the secondary transfer roller- also made no difference. The last thing that was swapped was the high voltage board which also made no difference. The test print of halftone set to 150 density was stopped mid cycle that showed the lighter image towards the rear of the drum, even before the image was transferred to the belt. This means the laser unit had to be the issue.

We took apart the unit (totally shocked it isn't hermetically sealed) and cleaned the very dusty inside using cotton swabs and alcohol on all the mirrors and PH windows, inside and out. Put it all back together and it still had the same issue. Then I had an epiphany. What if the mirrors on the polygon motor had dust on the trail edge? Wouldn't that cause the issue since one pass of the mirror makes one line on the page?

We took apart the PH unit again and removed the access cover over the polygon motor and cleaned all 7 mirrors. That was the issue!! Why in the heck these PH units aren't hermetically sealed is beyond me. BUT, if we ever see these symptoms again, we'll know exactly what the issue is.

Attached are the scanned pages before and after (all at 100 density in service mode) as well as a photo of one of the very dirty polygon mirror faces.

https://i.imgur.com/BLPkyzc.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/uLEQwId.jpg

Toxic
08-10-2019, 12:44 AM
Yes,this is problem on this machines and every machine i have seen with 150k or over 2 years old have this problem more or less.
First time i also clean mirors without result and then discover poligon motor mirror is dirty on edge like on your photo.

srvctec
08-10-2019, 12:54 AM
We've got some in the field with ~1 million count and they don't have this issue. This machine is located in an extremely dirty environment. Most of our machines are in office environments and apparently don't get nearly as much dust inside the PH unit to cause this issue. This is the first time we've had this issue on any machine.

blazebusiness
08-10-2019, 05:28 AM
We've got some in the field with ~1 million count and they don't have this issue. This machine is located in an extremely dirty environment. Most of our machines are in office environments and apparently don't get nearly as much dust inside the PH unit to cause this issue. This is the first time we've had this issue on any machine.

Have only had that issue on 2 machines .... both also were in dirty environments. You would think those PH units would have been made with seals that would at least keep the dust out of the unit. Nothing is made like it used to be.................

Not bad machines overall though. The most frustrating issue on this C224/C284/C364 series seems to be the 32-01 code paper jams on 2-sided/duplex copies. Other than that----pretty solid machines.

tsbservice
08-10-2019, 07:36 AM
This is exactly what I had to do few times on different machines from various brands.
I must admit, never on KonMin, but your warning is well taken.
I have same machine with over 1.5 million counter in VERY dusty environment and it prints OK.
I think it all depends on specific micro climate conditions and for our good it's not as bad as looks.

occus
08-22-2019, 03:25 PM
I know this problem only from Brother printers.
Had never seen this on a KM.

Thank you for sharing.

m_donakov
02-09-2021, 09:23 AM
A co-worker (larweedad on here) had a call on a C224e with light prints on the side of the page nearest the rear of the machine. All 4 colors were identical with the symptom. He changed the belt and transfer roller which made no difference. Also changed the interior side door that holds the secondary transfer roller- also made no difference. The last thing that was swapped was the high voltage board which also made no difference. The test print of halftone set to 150 density was stopped mid cycle that showed the lighter image towards the rear of the drum, even before the image was transferred to the belt. This means the laser unit had to be the issue.

We took apart the unit (totally shocked it isn't hermetically sealed) and cleaned the very dusty inside using cotton swabs and alcohol on all the mirrors and PH windows, inside and out. Put it all back together and it still had the same issue. Then I had an epiphany. What if the mirrors on the polygon motor had dust on the trail edge? Wouldn't that cause the issue since one pass of the mirror makes one line on the page?

We took apart the PH unit again and removed the access cover over the polygon motor and cleaned all 7 mirrors. That was the issue!! Why in the heck these PH units aren't hermetically sealed is beyond me. BUT, if we ever see these symptoms again, we'll know exactly what the issue is.

Attached are the scanned pages before and after (all at 100 density in service mode) as well as a photo of one of the very dirty polygon mirror faces.

Thanks a lot for share

copier tech
02-09-2021, 09:46 AM
Great post, I have a few machines out that have faint prints exactly like your samples, even thought they have had new IU & Dev fitted. These clients mainly print txt so don't notice but i'll whip out & clean the printhead mirrors next time I see this!.

Gift
02-09-2021, 01:00 PM
Wow that's pretty much dirt - back then when I was forced to repair Ricohs famous Aficio 1224C cleaning polygon motor was kind of a daily task because there was not much of a sealing ;)

I've evaluated many C224e/C308 returns for refurbishing purposes but usually C/M/Y/K full page half tone patterns with ~70/255 density are looking fine and even.

Oystercopy
02-09-2021, 08:33 PM
Have only had that issue on 2 machines .... both also were in dirty environments. You would think those PH units would have been made with seals that would at least keep the dust out of the unit. Nothing is made like it used to be.................

Not bad machines overall though. The most frustrating issue on this C224/C284/C364 series seems to be the 32-01 code paper jams on 2-sided/duplex copies. Other than that----pretty solid machines.

This jamming problem can be solved by putting a spacer (we use the edge of a credit card) between the duplex solenoid and the frame. There is a known issue with the duplex gate opening too far and causing issues on this model.
OC

emujo2
02-09-2021, 08:38 PM
Back in the day this was a pretty common occurrence on the Toshiba E studio models..I have yet to see this on a KM, but would not rule it out. E

copier tech
02-09-2021, 08:43 PM
This jamming problem can be solved by putting a spacer (we use the edge of a credit card) between the duplex solenoid and the frame. There is a known issue with the duplex gate opening too far and causing issues on this model.
OC

Eh!?

Hansoon
02-10-2021, 07:59 AM
Regarding the "dust problem" I could imagine that strong temperature differences plays a role. If the housing of the laser unit is warming up during operation, puffing out warm air from the inside and when later cooling off, it may be possible that, depending on the environment, polluted air is being sucked in somehow passing the sealing.

Hans

copier tech
02-10-2021, 08:08 AM
Regarding the "dust problem" I could imagine that strong temperature differences plays a role. If the housing of the laser unit is warming up during operation, puffing out warm air from the inside and when later cooling off, it may be possible that, depending on the environment, polluted air is being sucked in somehow passing the sealing.

Hans

Yes, not is dust is the same when it comes to copiers.

Construction dust can be heavy & larger particles so doesn't make it far enough to get into the printhead.

I had a machine in a gymnasium that was a nightmare, always had issues with the white powder they use to grip the bar etc getting into everywhere! (no idea what this is called!?)

Hansoon
02-10-2021, 08:29 AM
(no idea what this is called!?)

"Magnesium" in the Gym short for Magnesium Carbonate Chalk

:cool:

Hans

srvctec
02-11-2021, 04:08 PM

Hans

Hadn't thought of that and it's probably why they don't hermetically seal them. I sure wish they'd put in a miniature filter in the opening wherever it is, kind of like the little barometric breather filters that are in HDD's. Maybe that would keep it from sucking in dirt.

tsbservice
02-11-2021, 07:40 PM
I have one of those PH units right now, looks pretty much good sealed and I have seen quite a few lasers way more unprotected. In fact we added some foams and seals(added late of production date) to Toshy laser as countermeasure years ago. Will take some pictures of unit to add here if srvctec don't mind.
Very informative thread though.

srvctec
02-11-2021, 08:04 PM
I have one of those PH units right now, looks pretty much good sealed and I have seen quite a few lasers way more unprotected. In fact we added some foams and seals(added late of production date) to Toshy laser as countermeasure years ago. Will take some pictures of unit to add here if srvctec don't mind.
Very informative thread though.

Fine with me!

Don N.
02-12-2021, 04:06 PM
Eh!?

Confirmed. Spacer/shim @ 2mm thick to keep the duplex gate solenoid from opening the gate too far when not actuated. There is a bulletin on that.
On the topic of C224e series poly mirrors with dust, not a one out of maybe a hundred in the field exhibits this... yet! Definitely seen that on Sharp, Samsung desktops years ago. have seen the mag rollers all get toner dust coated after a drum cleaning failure, resulting in similar shading/background, not faded area. Also drywall dust is the major culprit if any fine dust invades.

tsbservice
02-15-2021, 10:57 AM
Here are some pictures of PH unit from C224e.

iraklis7302
02-19-2022, 07:05 AM

Hi sir!

probably I have the same problem.could you please tell me (or show me in any photo) ,where are these 7 mirrors?thank you?

m_donakov
02-19-2022, 07:16 AM
Hi sir!

probably I have the same problem.could you please tell me (or show me in any photo) ,where are these 7 mirrors?thank you?

They are inside laser unit, you can see the you tube video below how to remove laser unit from machine, then open the black laser unit box. Polygon motor is inside. Here is the youtube video.

https://youtu.be/a-Sy9ykiSyI

iraklis7302
02-19-2022, 07:25 AM
They are inside laser unit, you can see the you tube video below how to remove laser unit from machine, then open the black laser unit box. Polygon motor is inside. Here is the youtube video.

thank you very much!

iraklis7302
02-19-2022, 06:55 PM

i have cleaned the 7 mirrors from polygon motor but the problem have been worst,am i wrong with anything?

m_donakov
02-19-2022, 07:06 PM
i have cleaned the 7 mirrors from polygon motor but the problem have been worst,am i wrong with anything?

I dont know what can be, you can see mirrors in laser unit maybe they are dirty too. If you can scan printed page an post here i will try to help you.

tsbservice
02-19-2022, 07:09 PM

You better start your own thread ideally with a lot of pictures and description. Not posting here and there incomplete questions inbetween forum.

iraklis7302
02-19-2022, 07:12 PM
You better start your own thread ideally with a lot of pictures and description. Not posting here and there incomplete questions inbetween forum.

ok im sorry,thank you

zeckryyu
02-20-2022, 03:17 AM

https://i.imgur.com/uLEQwId.jpgActually this is typical problem,when the machine is using polygon motor...i had encounter this same problem on canon machine

Sent from my M2003J15SC using Tapatalk

Custom Search