PDA

View Full Version : bypass tray shows legal when 11x17 loaded on 8 series

Custom Search

Synthohol
08-20-2019, 08:21 PM
Finally got a weird one to run by my fellow colleagues.
I have a c458 that when you put 11x17 on try it shows as 8.5x14 (legal) but letter shows up fine.
Once the outer length actuator is down it goes to legal unless I open the width guides to 12"

I have already tried the bypass width min max adjust. It passes max width but min says NG unless I open the guides up like a quarter inch.
I even replaced the bypass tray with new and same issue.
What's worse is even if I open the guides to have it display 11x17 you can copy to it but a print job errors and asks for 11x17 which is already displayed.
Media type is correct and matches driver settings.

Real stumped here, anyone run into this?

Also it's using an older N2 FW to avoid the 'fiery not connected" nightmare.
I hesitate to apply current FW because it loses connection to the fiery frequently.
Hope someone has a solution.

Thanks all.

tsbservice
08-20-2019, 08:38 PM
This is weird one and I have no clue but I will look into my soft switch table for any related settings.
Stupid question but does FW level matches print driver version?

Synthohol
08-20-2019, 08:40 PM
It has a fiery controller.
But I like the way you think.

This started all of a suddon, it was not an issue out of the box.

I even initialized it, put movie data back on and reloaded the FW. No change.
I thought it may have been the rheostat in the tray but when the brand new bypass unit was replaced nothing changed a bit.

mo0651
08-20-2019, 09:04 PM
Did you look at the adjustment steps in the manual?? There is a new way of doing bypass adjustment for the last couple of series. You are supposed to put paper in tray and then
hit adjustment start.:cool:

Synthohol
08-20-2019, 09:30 PM
LOL, just saw that 10 min ago, 110mmx297mm for the min/max.
WTF KM!!
ill try tomorrow.

srvctec
08-20-2019, 10:32 PM
LOL, just saw that 10 min ago, 110mmx297mm for the min/max.
WTF KM!!
ill try tomorrow.

Yeah, they pulled a fast one on us but it's been this way since way back on the C253 Series (BUT make sure and check each model's service manual because the min/max distance isn't always the same). I kept having issues on a 4e machine, doing the adjustment the way I always had for over 2 decades, guides to max and min position for max and min adjustment, because that makes sense. Finally looked in the book and discovered we'd been doing it wrong for many years. :rolleyes:

Synthohol
08-20-2019, 10:53 PM
we assumed it was the same as the ADF min/max!!

srvctec
08-20-2019, 11:00 PM
we assumed it was the same as the ADF min/max!!

So did we but it's not actually min/max of the guides position, either. Most now have a specific position for those as well. They keep screwing up common sense.

JR2ALTA
08-20-2019, 11:42 PM
Wouldn't a different bypass with a different pot sensor work though?

blackcat4866
08-21-2019, 12:34 AM
Not until the calibration is done properly. I first came across this on the bizhub 1052. The original size calibration mode on the copier asks for one size but really means another. Once you run the calibration correctly it will all straighten out.

DF detects LTR-R original size as LTR, after changing DF controller. A mistake is displayed in service mode > Machine > ADF Adjustment > ADF Original Size Adjustment. The correct width adjustment sizes are LTR and STMT-R. Instead of using LTR-R like it asks, use LTR original width.

=^..^=

Hansoon
08-21-2019, 07:05 AM
I love our European sizes. Almost all A4 and a very few A3......... :p

Hans

Synaux
08-21-2019, 07:33 PM
Did you look at the adjustment steps in the manual?? There is a new way of doing bypass adjustment for the last couple of series. You are supposed to put paper in tray and then hit adjustment start.:cool:

This is a good thing to know!
I would have probably started swapping boards, dissecting wiring harnesses and start looking for "special" FW, to solve this if I was Synthohol (difference is that he is smart enough to ask for help). At least KM is forcing us to keep us on our toes. :rolleyes:

Service Manual... What is that?

guitar9199
08-21-2019, 07:59 PM
Service Manual... What is that?[/QUOTE]

It's that thing we never look at until we've disassembled a machine down to its component parts... and can't quite figure out how to put it back together again!!

blazebusiness
08-21-2019, 08:24 PM
Wow, great info mo0651! ...I just looked up that adjustment.......I also would have addressed an issue like this with parts or maybe swapped out the whole bypass unit.

Manual Bypass Tray Width Adj Procedure:

1. Call the Service Mode to the screen.
2. Touch [Machine] -> [Manual Bypass Tray Width Adj].
6. Touch [Min. Width.].
7. Load the bypass tray with paper having a width of 110 mm.
8. Press the Start key and check that the results are [OK].
* Make the adjustment again if the results are [NG].

Those paper sizes you load in the bypass tray are not USA though. So for future reference , Conversion of 297mm and 110mm below:

A4
297mm x 210mm
11.7inch x 8.3inch

DL (Cseries envelope)
110mm x 220mm
4.33 x 8.66

tsbservice
08-21-2019, 08:34 PM
Service Manual... What is that?
It may be just me but...as we(techs) almost always blame customers that they didn't read/follow the f. manuals it's perplexing for me to do the same.

Synthohol
08-21-2019, 09:26 PM
ill tell ya, what a bunch of unnecessary BS.
what i mean is A4 is 297mm tall but 110mm is not exactly half width. A4 is 210mm wide so half would be 105mm
in the US letter is 8.5x11. folded its 5.5x8.5 AKA 'statement'
one would think they would make the calibration for A4 length and folded exactly in half 105 for the min adjustment.
i had to cut 100mm off the sheet, lucky i carry a clear scale so i was able to measure 100mm to mark and cut.
but damn, who carries or supplies 297x110 media? its not even a standard size on either side of the great pond.
Paper Sizes | The best resource for International Paper Sizes, Dimensions & Formats (https://papersizes.io/)

anyway, it detects 11x17 now and letter & letter/r but not legal 8.5x14" anymore on the bypass. WTF?
in this instance, its irrelevant because they do not nor plan to use legal size anyway. just triggering my OCD on this but i walk away knowing i did follow the RTFM and my original symptom seems solved.

what a trip...
is it beer O'clock yet?

mo0651
08-21-2019, 09:42 PM
Ummmmm.... I won't tell you guys how I found out about this.:eek: LOL

tsbservice
08-21-2019, 09:43 PM
what a trip...
is it beer O'clock yet?

It's beering well past 0'clock here.
Japanese are masters of making such a puzzles.
Go figure :p

Custom Search