PDA

View Full Version : C454 noise

Custom Search

copyman
09-05-2019, 10:44 PM
Anyone ever have an intermittent loud squealing noise on the 4 series? Know noises are hard to troubleshoot on a forum but guess asking a general question. Figured I would throw it up here before heading out to this far away account. Customer sent me a video from phone, tried to attach but didn't work, must be too big of file. Never heard anything like it on all the 4 series I've worked on.

Any ideas on how to attach video so you can hear it?

Thanks in advance

blackcat4866
09-05-2019, 11:15 PM
CL8 exit clutch will squeak ... and spray rust:

=^..^=

copyman
09-05-2019, 11:26 PM
BC to the rescue again! Will check it out. Thanks !!!

EarthKmTech
09-07-2019, 12:30 AM
4 series right thru to 8 series black toner hopper drive gears can squeak when lubrication forgotten at the factory. Run reasonable coverage black pages and see if the noise coincides with toner addition.

I've lubed too many to count.

YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMiZS0JVf7A)

copyman
09-08-2019, 09:55 PM
Are the drive gears to lube under the exit cover where pages come out and lay?

4 series right thru to 8 series black toner hopper drive gears can squeak when lubrication forgotten at the factory. Run reasonable coverage black pages and see if the noise coincides with toner addition.

blackcat4866
09-08-2019, 09:58 PM
Are the drive gears to lube under the exit cover where pages come out and lay?

Nope. They're on the back of the toner hopper. Let's see if I have a pic? Yup. The grease is red:

But ... that is where you will find CL8. =^..^=

copyman
09-09-2019, 02:50 AM
Thanks!

I'm assuming you mean the sub hopper in the front of machine, grease black drive gears?

BC, are you saying I can see CL8 under exit tray? Cause it looks like quite a job to get to it following instructions in manual. Or any shortcuts to move shield box out and maybe spray electronic cleaner on clutch without removing? Just to quiet down for a few months until they upgrade later this year.

Nope. They're on the back of the toner hopper. Let's see if I have a pic? Yup. The grease is red:

https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/attachments/konica-minolta/43525d1513730619t-c454-noise-454e-toner-hopper-squeak-jpg (https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/attachments/konica-minolta/43525d1567976259-c454-noise-454e-toner-hopper-squeak-jpg)

But ... that is where you will find CL8. =^..^

blackcat4866
09-09-2019, 08:10 PM
Please don't spray anything in there. It will just make it worse.

I think I have a procedure for that. Every time somebody says: "Oh, I can skip most of those steps ... " it goes really badly. That includes a fried PRCB. So my recommendation is to follow all the steps. I'll post it tonight. =^..^=

Attached:

cycle66
09-11-2019, 07:22 PM
When it comes to removing CL8 I just remove the e-clips gear and bushings then slide the shaft out and work the harness out. Saves alot of disassembly time.

Pafasa
09-11-2019, 07:29 PM
Don't forget about the fuser. The cleaning roller bearings and bushings wear out and can make all kinds of noise. I personally had pretty good luck just removing the cleaning unit all together. This gives you more life out of the fuser and the noise will be gone.

Phil B.
09-11-2019, 07:55 PM
Don't forget about the fuser. The cleaning roller bearings and bushings wear out and can make all kinds of noise. I personally had pretty good luck just removing the cleaning unit all together. This gives you more life out of the fuser and the noise will be gone.

wow another $15/hr Tech Deciding what parts are needed and which aren't ... maybe you should be a design engineer.!!

I caught one of my techs doing crap like that... he's now driving a Transit bus in Raleigh.

Pafasa
09-11-2019, 09:06 PM
wow another $15/hr Tech Deciding what parts are needed and which aren't ... maybe you should be a design engineer.!!

I caught one of my techs doing crap like that... he's now driving a Transit bus in Raleigh.

Wow Phil......

Those fuser cleaning units are not typically re-buildable once they start squealing. The bushings and bearings can be replaced but the cleaning rollers are not available. The bearing/bushing shaft end of the rollers are usually destroyed by the time you start hearing the squealing. Put new bushings and bearings in if you want, but i see that as similar to putting new brake pads on an old grooved rotor.

I think I see what you are saying though. These things are designed the way they are for a reason and who are we to make changes? My post may have looked like I was recommending running the fusers without the cleaning units from day one. Not what I meant. Just was trying to say that you can get some more life out of the old fuser itself by removing the bad components in a situation like this. Those fusers are very expensive and lots of times they barely make half of their expected life simply due to the cleaning unit failure. The tech stated that he was a couple hour drive away. If he is a Konica-Minolta tech with a wide range of these models, then he knows that one fuser does not fit all. Possibly 10 or more fusers for this engine series. That fills up space in a vehicle pretty quick. Sometimes a tech might arrive and find he doesn't have the correct fuser on hand (I can hear your wheels turning now, "Inventory Management"). But what if we used the only one we carry this morning? Should we reschedule the call until our van is restocked? Only to arrive at the customer a day or two later to find out the noise was not the fuser anyway?

I was just suggesting a possible cause for the noise and a remedy. Not the only cause and not the only remedy, but definitely one that would help the tech get the customer get up and running in a pinch.

I'm surprised you know what I make per hour, what I do for a living, and what my career aspirations are..... Have we met?

Phil B.
09-11-2019, 09:37 PM
Wow Phil......

Those fuser cleaning units are not typically re-buildable once they start squealing. The bushings and bearings can be replaced but the cleaning rollers are not available. The bearing/bushing shaft end of the rollers are usually destroyed by the time you start hearing the squealing. Put new bushings and bearings in if you want, but i see that as similar to putting new brake pads on an old grooved rotor.

I think I see what you are saying though. These things are designed the way they are for a reason and who are we to make changes? My post may have looked like I was recommending running the fusers without the cleaning units from day one. Not what I meant. Just was trying to say that you can get some more life out of the old fuser itself by removing the bad components in a situation like this. Those fusers are very expensive and lots of times they barely make half of their expected life simply due to the cleaning unit failure. The tech stated that he was a couple hour drive away. If he is a Konica-Minolta tech with a wide range of these models, then he knows that one fuser does not fit all. Possibly 10 or more fusers for this engine series. That fills up space in a vehicle pretty quick. Sometimes a tech might arrive and find he doesn't have the correct fuser on hand (I can hear your wheels turning now, "Inventory Management"). But what if we used the only one we carry this morning? Should we reschedule the call until our van is restocked? Only to arrive at the customer a day or two later to find out the noise was not the fuser anyway?

I was just suggesting a possible cause for the noise and a remedy. Not the only cause and not the only remedy, but definitely one that would help the tech get the customer get up and running in a pinch.

I'm surprised you know what I make per hour, what I do for a living, and what my career aspirations are..... Have we met?No I don't know you.
I have in my 31+ yrs in this industry, I have seen all sorts of trained techs pull these moves, didn't like it then, don't today.
As for payscale, like I stated, I know the average pay rate around the country for our field.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Pafasa
09-11-2019, 10:21 PM
No I don't know you.
I have in my 31+ yrs in this industry, I have seen all sorts of trained techs pull these moves, didn't like it then, don't today.
As for payscale, like I stated, I know the average pay rate around the country for our field.

I guess now we know each other a little bit better.

copyman
09-12-2019, 02:10 AM
Hey Phil,

I know what you are saying but in this case I think he has this mistaken with the 554 654 fusers. I'm aware of the noises they make and yes have replaced all those parts in the other models, it's great they have aftermarket parts to keep that fuser going as they are very expensive. As discussed on this forum before have completely rebuilt both C224 & c654 fusers.

Problem is this is a C454 and uses the same fuser as C224 not the higher volume fusers that have cleaning rollers, etc. so the noise isn't from that.

BC, I don't usually spray into machines marking my territory like a cat:p, but in this case trying to get a few months before customer upgrades. Even if I can get it semi-quiet that would be fine but this can be loud from recording I heard! I have be onsite 2 times and have not heard it. I removed the rear upper cover and fax kit and the clutch was right there. Sprayed CLC elec cleaner directly on clutch. Of course I would never spray into machine if not a clear shot at the clutch. can't tell you how many times I sprayed CLC on Biz 250 reg clutches, spin them dry with canned air and back working great in less than 5 mins. Never having to remove the clutch. Not a temp fix would last another few years!

No I don't know you.

Phil B.
09-12-2019, 03:59 AM
Hey Phil,

I know what you are saying but in this case I think he has this mistaken with the 554 654 fusers. I'm aware of the noises they make and yes have replaced all those parts in the other models, it's great they have aftermarket parts to keep that fuser going as they are very expensive. As discussed on this forum before have completely rebuilt both C224 & c654 fusers.

Problem is this is a C454 and uses the same fuser as C224 not the higher volume fusers that have cleaning rollers, etc. so the noise isn't from that.

BC, I don't usually spray into machines marking my territory like a cat:p, but in this case trying to get a few months before customer upgrades. Even if I can get it semi-quiet that would be fine but this can be loud from recording I heard! I have be onsite 2 times and have not heard it. I removed the rear upper cover and fax kit and the clutch was right there. Sprayed CLC elec cleaner directly on clutch. Of course I would never spray into machine if not a clear shot at the clutch. can't tell you how many times I sprayed CLC on Biz 250 reg clutches, spin them dry with canned air and back working great in less than 5 mins. Never having to remove the clutch. Not a temp fix would last another few years!Ok.. well I have no problem with QUALITY aftermarket (we all know the shit in the AM being pushed) but I am against field techs doing permanent fixes. There are reasons the design engineers build them in... and I have seen tech pubs INSTRUCTING all tech of the mod.
Also aware of lower spd units not needing certain parts ( slow unit=less toner usage less build up .. high speed/process unit do need them)
But I digress..

copyman
09-12-2019, 04:37 AM
ha-ha You know us old time techs are brainwashed to use OEM and I usually do. Especially with color toners, only OEM. Definitely agree it's like rolling the dice and only in certain circumstances.

Ok.. well I have no problem with QUALITY aftermarket (we all know the shit in the AM being pushed) but I am against field techs doing permanent fixes. There are reasons the design engineers build them in... and I have seen tech pubs INSTRUCTING all tech of the mod.
Also aware of lower spd units not needing certain parts ( slow unit=less toner usage less build up .. high speed/process unit do need them)
But I digress..

Phil B.
09-12-2019, 04:56 AM
ha-ha You know us old time techs are brainwashed to use OEM and I usually do. Especially with color toners, only OEM. Definitely agree it's like rolling the dice and only in certain circumstances.Brainwashed or have tried the BS parts and stick to the good ones.
Now as far as color drums/toners ..some parts.. look at Static Control Inc Sanford, NC. Took classes there years ago.. super helpful setting up a new toner/drum refurb group. They also sell remans that work great! less than .5% fail rate and they have great warranty.

Phil B.
09-12-2019, 04:59 AM
ha-ha You know us old time techs are brainwashed to use OEM and I usually do. Especially with color toners, only OEM. Definitely agree it's like rolling the dice and only in certain circumstances.And ain't even gunna go the "old head/tech" route witt ya.

srvctec
09-12-2019, 07:31 PM
*snip*

BC, are you saying I can see CL8 under exit tray? Cause it looks like quite a job to get to it following instructions in manual. Or any shortcuts to move shield box out and maybe spray electronic cleaner on clutch without removing? Just to quiet down for a few months until they upgrade later this year.

*snip*

Check your PMs. I sent you the much easier than the service manual instructions I wrote up for CL8 removal a few months ago. If you need them again, let me know.

Custom Search