PDA

View Full Version : Konica Bizhub C458 Firmware Update Problem! Please help

Custom Search

stryder
09-24-2019, 05:46 PM
Hey guys, so I've run into a big snag here with the 8 series. Hope someone here may have this problem before or someone who can shed some light my way. I have the firmware R9 and W5. I tried to update the firmware on a C458 but right after the calibration finishes, it shows my all the parts ready for update, Scanner, MFP, etc. But when I've hit the button to update, everything shows NG. I've used the same firmware and same usb stick on another C458 and it updates fine no problem. I had changed the hdd and formatted but nothing is working. Any insights? Thanks in advance

tsbservice
09-24-2019, 06:22 PM
So your machine is at R9 FW and you try W5? What is present state of the machine?
Did you try another FW version? You left so many opened questions here!

If I was at your position I will attempt to unplug every possible option and try again, next maybe update items one after another...also this exact USB flash drive
may not work with this exact machine.

stryder
09-24-2019, 07:51 PM
So your machine is at R9 FW and you try W5? What is present state of the machine?
Did you try another FW version? You left so many opened questions here!

If I was at your position I will attempt to unplug every possible option and try again, next maybe update items one after another...also this exact USB flash drive
may not work with this exact machine.

The machine is a G8, so its a pretty old FW. I've tried R9 and W5 but says NG after pressing the button. This machine only have 22 pages on it, everything else works with the machine no problems at all. Ive also trying a different USB that works with FW on all other machines and series, seems like would not work on only this machine. I did what you said, doing one option at a time but did not work as well.

rrrohan
09-25-2019, 05:07 AM
have you tried updating via ISW?

Bix
09-25-2019, 08:53 AM
Try the W4

Synthohol
09-25-2019, 01:25 PM
a. Format USB drive in FAT 32. See attached Instructions.
b. Extract the firmware onto the PC.
c. Copy the entire "FW0002" folder to the root of the USB drive.
2. Insert USB drive in front port; then power ON the machine holding down the Stop button. (Leave the front door open.)
3. After a few minutes the firmware screen will appear. When it does, touch Start button located at the bottom right of touchscreen.

here is a list of approved drives.

stryder
09-25-2019, 05:47 PM
a. Format USB drive in FAT 32. See attached Instructions.
b. Extract the firmware onto the PC.
c. Copy the entire "FW0002" folder to the root of the USB drive.
2. Insert USB drive in front port; then power ON the machine holding down the Stop button. (Leave the front door open.)
3. After a few minutes the firmware screen will appear. When it does, touch Start button located at the bottom right of touchscreen.

here is a list of approved drives.

Tried, didn't work. I believe the 8 series is only "FW0005" but I did try to rename it to FW0002 but doesn't work as well (doesn't go to update page even though theres a black dot.)
Tried W4, didn't work as well.

tsbservice
09-25-2019, 05:57 PM
Check that front USB cable is connected into right place.

Synthohol
09-25-2019, 05:58 PM
Don't ever rename anything, that was an error.

stryder
09-25-2019, 06:07 PM
Check that front USB cable is connected into right place.

Yes connected to "Front USB"

emujo2
09-25-2019, 06:25 PM
If it comes up to the screen where you start the upgrade, then it's reading the USB file structure correctly.. Have you tried to verify you have the right model info selected at the 1st screen? Is there anything on the drive that might be making the files un readable? In my experience, if the USB drive is the problem, the machine will show "invalid USB" E

stryder
09-25-2019, 07:32 PM
If it comes up to the screen where you start the upgrade, then it's reading the USB file structure correctly.. Have you tried to verify you have the right model info selected at the 1st screen? Is there anything on the drive that might be making the files un readable? In my experience, if the USB drive is the problem, the machine will show "invalid USB" E

Yes the update screen does comes up and it does let me choose yes or no for update each part. The same USB works with other firmware upgrades as well as others of the same models without problems. Nothing else is on the USB other than the FW.

Synthohol
09-25-2019, 08:55 PM
Ok, set bit switch 72 to hex 04 and fix.
Now go into administration mode and select external memory backup.
Export all the choices to a usb stick in the front panel.
Make an easy password like 1

2 reasons, of it successfully completed then the usb system in the copier is probably ok.
The second is once backed up, in service mode do a complete system data initialize.
Then install movie data again then the firmware.

Good luck

stryder
09-25-2019, 10:15 PM
Ok, set bit switch 72 to hex 04 and fix.
Now go into administration mode and select external memory backup.
Export all the choices to a usb stick in the front panel.
Make an easy password like 1

2 reasons, of it successfully completed then the usb system in the copier is probably ok.
The second is once backed up, in service mode do a complete system data initialize.
Then install movie data again then the firmware.

Good luck

Did as suggested. But did not work as well. Thank you guys for all the suggestions. Here is a pix of it

Woxner
09-26-2019, 01:27 AM
turn the machine off the hold down panel power button then turn machine on. wait for the beep then let off this will run diagnostics. also try loading k7 firmware
and run each one seperate doing controller last. if this all fails mfp may be bad.

stryder
09-26-2019, 11:17 PM
turn the machine off the hold down panel power button then turn machine on. wait for the beep then let off this will run diagnostics. also try loading k7 firmware
and run each one seperate doing controller last. if this all fails mfp may be bad.

Thanks, according to the diagnostics. It looks like we have a "NG" for the on board memory, picture is attached. Not sure if that prevents us from updating, would replacement one from a different machine help?

Woxner
09-27-2019, 12:47 AM
it will stop it. looks like you need to repl mfp. you can replace from another machine but you need to clean the mfp or swap both emmc and mfp together. if you swap both meters and other stuff wiil be from new pwb. you can cleanse the mfp and it wiil keep the machine current info.

copier tech
09-27-2019, 07:57 AM
Hey guys, so I've run into a big snag here with the 8 series. Hope someone here may have this problem before or someone who can shed some light my way. I have the firmware R9 and W5. I tried to update the firmware on a C458 but right after the calibration finishes, it shows my all the parts ready for update, Scanner, MFP, etc. But when I've hit the button to update, everything shows NG. I've used the same firmware and same usb stick on another C458 and it updates fine no problem. I had changed the hdd and formatted but nothing is working. Any insights? Thanks in advance

Are you updating the firmware to resolve an issue or is the machine working fine?

Try updating the SATA firmware first there is a way to force it on after this you maybe able to install the regular firmware.

stryder
10-01-2019, 04:44 PM
Are you updating the firmware to resolve an issue or is the machine working fine?

Try updating the SATA firmware first there is a way to force it on after this you maybe able to install the regular firmware.

The machine has no issues and is working fine, no problems with it. We usually like to marry the finisher to the machine with the firmware. It is a problem if this goes to a customer who wants to update the machine in the future just to find out it won't update.

copier tech
10-01-2019, 06:46 PM
The machine has no issues and is working fine, no problems with it. We usually like to marry the finisher to the machine with the firmware. It is a problem if this goes to a customer who wants to update the machine in the future just to find out it won't update.

Try the HDD firmware first then the main firmware again after.

We've had weird issues before this update was rolled out.

copyman
02-08-2022, 02:47 AM
Not sure if anyone mentioned this and has nothing to do with the issue in original post. I cannot believe Kon/Min left very important step in the C258-C658 service manual on how to update firmware on "8" series, about leaving front door open! You know how much time techs have wasted trying to do the right thing and "go by the book". Ha-ha problem is book is wrong! I found out the hard way few years back after wasting about 2 hours trying to load firmware "by the book".

Copia
02-08-2022, 05:00 AM
There is a utility that can reset your flash drive so that it can work again if you have problem flashing firmware. Most KM want the flash drive to be new in sense. If you format your flash drive using the windows format it kind of corrupt them.

I can share the utility if you are all interested.

copier tech
02-08-2022, 07:06 AM
There is a utility that can reset your flash drive so that it can work again if you have problem flashing firmware. Most KM want the flash drive to be new in sense. If you format your flash drive using the windows format it kind of corrupt them.

I can share the utility if you are all interested.

Before I use any flash drive on a KM I format it in Windows first, this has always worked for me I'm updating many models daily.

First I click restore device defaults then start + leave the volume label blank.

copyman
02-08-2022, 10:55 PM
Although Kon/Min machines are very picky with types of flashdrives I have used all kinds, never having to use a special utility to format, just tried different flashdrive. I always put the F/W on a few different flashdrives to take with me on a call in case one don't work. Think I downloaded the utility a while back and still have yet to use it. Next time I have trouble with one going to try the utility.

What I found to help a lot is use small GB the better. Less than 4gb is ideal. Problem is finding small gb's is difficult. Like everything else people want BIG !!!

Synthohol
02-08-2022, 11:03 PM
Microcenter had the best 4g flash drives, out of 20 or 30 bought i have 1 left and i use it for everything konica and it just works.
been through the washer and dryer many times so now its on my key chain and it stays dry but keeps working every time with just windows format.
i wish i knew who made them, id buy so many more.

copier tech
02-09-2022, 08:57 PM
These are the USB pen drives I have found most reliable & have never let me down yet 2GB ideal size.

USB 2.0 Memory Stick Flash Drive Swivel 64GB 32GB 16GB 8GB 4GB 2GB 1GB 1MB Lot | eBay (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224098580760?hash=item342d50f918:g:AlEAAOSwqA9fIJS r)

Oystercopy
02-09-2022, 09:42 PM
I had this same issue several weeks ago on a C-258. No matter what I did, I could NOT load the f/w into the machine. It was old (G) but I tried everything listed here and more. I ended up having to send the machine out with old f/w but didn't have time to send the MFP board in to get it repaired. I think I agree with emujo, I've never had an instance where the machine didn't like the USB stick and didn't tell you so, by telling you wrong USB or cannot read. It's almost NEVER been a "type of USB" issue for me. I've upgraded several f/w since that machine with the very same stick, so go figure.

And I tried and tried to figure out how to do it with ISW and it was super confusing (like most of the manuals)

I know this wasn't a lot of help, but it is what it is.
OC

Synthohol
02-09-2022, 10:26 PM
These are the USB pen drives I have found most reliable & have never let me down yet 2GB ideal size.

USB 2.0 Memory Stick Flash Drive Swivel 64GB 32GB 16GB 8GB 4GB 2GB 1GB 1MB Lot | eBay (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224098580760?hash=item342d50f918:g:AlEAAOSwqA9fIJS r)
already bought the 2g and 4g and konicas dont seem to like them regardless of how they get formatted.
im not spending more that 5.00 for a 4g pen drive, that's ridiculous IMHO

Copia
02-17-2022, 01:25 AM
Reason why your flash drive no longer work its because your MBR get corrupted using the windows format.

See attached document.

occus
02-17-2022, 09:49 AM
Reason why your flash drive no longer work its because your MBR get corrupted using the windows format.

See attached document.

For me, with these instructions every USB stick works.

Custom Search