PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub C454e Won't Print PDF files

Custom Search

integritybob
09-26-2019, 04:28 PM
I have a Bizhub C454e that won't print pdf files. When a job is sent to the printer the blue lights on the front start blinking, the fan comes up . . . and that's it. Nothing shows up in the job list. From the computer, first it says "printing" and then that a printing error has occurred. The unit just sits there with the blue lights flashing.

Copying and scanning (email and FTP) work fine. Small print jobs, such as a text file from Notepad or an email print just fine. PDF's, regardless of size, will not print. This is not a new installation - it had previously been working fine.

I connected directly to my laptop with a crossover cable and installed both the PCL and Postscript drivers, The unit was detected during driver installation and both drivers installed normally. The driver test print will not print from either driver, but again, I can print a text file from Notepad or a web page from Chrome.

The system is in a law office with Account Tracking (password only) configured. The password popup shows up as expected. Again, small files (other than pdf) print normally.

I ran all the onboard diagnostics for memory, hard drive, etc. and all came up OK.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Phil B.
09-26-2019, 04:56 PM
I have a Bizhub C454e that won't print pdf files. When a job is sent to the printer the blue lights on the front start blinking, the fan comes up . . . and that's it. Nothing shows up in the job list. From the computer, first it says "printing" and then that a printing error has occurred. The unit just sits there with the blue lights flashing.
Copying and scanning (email and FTP) work fine. Small print jobs, such as a text file from Notepad or an email print just fine. PDF's, regardless of size, will not print. This is not a new installation - it had previously been working fine.
I connected directly to my laptop with a crossover cable and installed both the PCL and Postscript drivers, The unit was detected during driver installation and both drivers installed normally. The driver test print will not print from either driver, but again, I can print a text file from Notepad or a web page from Chrome.
The system is in a law office with Account Tracking (password only) configured. The password popup shows up as expected. Again, small files (other than pdf) print normally.
I ran all the onboard diagnostics for memory, hard drive, etc. and all came up OK.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I would go thru the print driver setting ... try "print as image"

also you might try PS driver but more like the above solution will fix it for you

integritybob
09-26-2019, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I've tried "print as image" as well as the PS driver with no luck. I also tried turning spooling off.

copyrooks
09-26-2019, 05:14 PM
is the customer using adobe reader to print? if they are, i'd try a different program like sumatra pdf to see if adobe could be the issue.

integritybob
09-26-2019, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the tip. The customer is using Adobe but I have Sumatra on my laptop - no joy. I also tried printing a pdf from Chrome with no success.

tsbservice
09-26-2019, 05:29 PM
Did you try to print PDF file from USB thumb drive? That may rule out machine part if successful.

Phil B.
09-26-2019, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I've tried "print as image" as well as the PS driver with no luck. I also tried turning spooling off.

might help if you mention such things in the OP .. but ok.. lemme think.. anything else we should rule out?

tsbservice
09-26-2019, 05:40 PM
Also comes to mind using direct print PDFs through web connection avoiding print drivers.
Last resort may be to Initialize machine though.
Let us know how it goes.

kirin
09-26-2019, 06:37 PM
Hi, review "image controller setting" in "System 2" , default is "controller 0"...maybe

integritybob
09-26-2019, 11:36 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. My apologies for leaving out pertinent information - I was short on time when I composed the original post.

Here is a little more info: I can access the web connection in a browser and print out the demo page, font lists etc. with no problem. I haven't yet tried printing from a thumb drive.

Also, sometimes after a printing failure the unit will print out a sheet with the following cryptic message in the upper left corner:

PCL XL error
Error: ExtraData
Operator: ReadImage
Position: 160

That's when using the PCL driver. Sometimes it also happens with the PS driver, with a different message:

ERROR: ioerror
OFFENDING COMMAND: image

STACK:

I will be returning to the customer tomorrow morning and will post an update.

tsbservice
09-27-2019, 09:58 AM
Hi, review "image controller setting" in "System 2" , default is "controller 0"...maybe

Thanks for all the suggestions. My apologies for leaving out pertinent information - I was short on time when I composed the original post.

Here is a little more info: I can access the web connection in a browser and print out the demo page, font lists etc. with no problem. I haven't yet tried printing from a thumb drive.

Also, sometimes after a printing failure the unit will print out a sheet with the following cryptic message in the upper left corner:

PCL XL error
Error: ExtraData
Position: 160

That's when using the PCL driver. Sometimes it also happens with the PS driver, with a different message:

ERROR: ioerror
OFFENDING COMMAND: image

STACK:

I will be returning to the customer tomorrow morning and will post an update.

Then can be wrong Image Controller Setting, maybe after somebody did Clear All Data.

emujo2
09-27-2019, 05:16 PM
Those messages are spit out when the RIP does not understand what is being sent. It may be a simple PDF that your Windows 10 laptop can read just fine, but the C454e just can't understand what it is, could be an image file or even a font..FYI--Win10 drivers are version 5.1.2.0, and the matching firmware is G20-M1/function ver 7.. If you are using any different combo I would update ASAP. This does not mean there is not a problem with the machine..It's near end of life..What does service mode report for CE301, FA14 ect..E

integritybob
09-30-2019, 05:40 PM
Update:

Still no success.

Image controller setting is "Controller 0".

Some documents will print from a thumb drive - some will not. There doesn't seem to be any pattern - some relatively large pdf files print fine while a single page b&w document will fail. Even some scans from another bizhub would not print. Jpegs seem to print okay, at least the few I tried.

The system has a fax module and incoming faxes seem to print okay.

Logs show a single C-E301 and a couple of D353 a month and a half ago (when the system was printing just fine).

Another error printout after attempting a relatively small pdf with the PCL driver:

PCL XL error
Error: InsufficientMemory
Position: 19

Firmware is G00-K2. I'll update it when I go back. Print drivers are the most recent.

tsbservice
09-30-2019, 06:39 PM
If not run full diagnostic to check for any NG result. Other that that I would do Clear all data as to me it looks you have some corrupted data.

copyrooks
10-01-2019, 01:40 AM
Might be a long shot but, Check the network speed option on the copier and see if there is any improvement. I had a customer's IT dept manually set the network speed on the copier and would always get complaints from slow printing til i set it on auto and worked great after.

integritybob
10-04-2019, 06:32 PM
Update 2: I updated the firmware to G20-M1 which did not fix the problem. Having exhausted other options I hit "Clear All Data" and spent the next hour re-configuring everything.

Which turned out to be time well spent - that fixed it. (cue Happy Dance :))

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions, especially tsbservice.

BTW, I had purchased some 2GB thumb drives specifically for firmware updates. These did not work - the copier saw them, but not as firmware. I went back to 16GB Kingston Data Travelers, which work just fine for firmware despite their large size.

tsbservice
10-04-2019, 07:10 PM
You did it right. Thanks for following up.

Custom Search