PDA

View Full Version : How to increase printing speed of Large PDF files, 2000+ pages

Custom Search

CopierNerd
10-18-2019, 08:15 PM
I was thinking how to increase print speed of PDF files which contain minimum 2000 pages. Actually i am printing pages from a pdf file which contains 22000 pages in 1 single file. The size of file vary from 500mb to 1.6GB and i have used both PCL and PS drivers.I have also read some options on the internet about how to increase print speed but i would like to take advice from experts of the field.....

Many Thanks

qbert69
10-18-2019, 08:44 PM
I was thinking how to increase print speed of PDF files which contain minimum 2000 pages. Actually i am printing pages from a pdf file which contains 22000 pages in 1 single file. The size of file vary from 500mb to 1.6GB and i have used both PCL and PS drivers.I have also read some options on the internet about how to increase print speed but i would like to take advice from experts of the field.....

Many ThanksPDF is a CONTAINER FORMAT!!! ...If they are just "scanned image files" they should process quite quickly!!! If the PDF was generated but NOT FLATTENED with all graphics on the same layer & in the same color space gamut, processing will probably error out with a memory buffer overflow. What I have done in a situation such as this is to use a PDF Printer such as Bullzip to re-generate the PDF so it is flattened properly and in the same color space. If you've used photoshop you will understand the layer aspect. Most of the problems I have seen have come from PDF documents that were designed on an Apple & someone tries to print off on a Windows machine. I have designed yearbooks for my wife's school and for print output 200dpi is a fully adequate resolution. In fact, I could barely tell the difference between 200dpi & 300dpi! If you need to get info on how the PDF was generated, open the file with Acrobat Reader & do a "CTRL+D" keyboard shortcut. It will tell you what program was used to compile & generate the PDF. [emoji41][emoji1303]

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Phil B.
10-18-2019, 08:59 PM
PDF is a CONTAINER FORMAT!!! ...If they are just "scanned image files" they should process quite quickly!!! If the PDF was generated but NOT FLATTENED with all graphics on the same layer & in the same color space gamut, processing will probably error out with a memory buffer overflow. What I have done in a situation such as this is to use a PDF Printer such as Bullzip to re-generate the PDF so it is flattened properly and in the same color space. If you've used photoshop you will understand the layer aspect. Most of the problems I have seen have come from PDF documents that were designed on an Apple & someone tries to print off on a Windows machine. I have designed yearbooks for my wife's school and for print output 200dpi is a fully adequate resolution. In fact, I could barely tell the difference between 200dpi & 300dpi! If you need to get info on how the PDF was generated, open the file with Acrobat Reader & do a "CTRL+D" keyboard shortcut. It will tell you what program was used to compile & generate the PDF. [emoji41][emoji1303]

Thanks qbert very concise info Dude!

Synaux
10-19-2019, 12:37 AM
PDF is a CONTAINER FORMAT!!! ...If they are just "scanned image files" they should process quite quickly!!! If the PDF was generated but NOT FLATTENED with all graphics on the same layer & in the same color space gamut, processing will probably error out with a memory buffer overflow. What I have done in a situation such as this is to use a PDF Printer such as Bullzip to re-generate the PDF so it is flattened properly and in the same color space. If you've used photoshop you will understand the layer aspect. Most of the problems I have seen have come from PDF documents that were designed on an Apple & someone tries to print off on a Windows machine. I have designed yearbooks for my wife's school and for print output 200dpi is a fully adequate resolution. In fact, I could barely tell the difference between 200dpi & 300dpi! If you need to get info on how the PDF was generated, open the file with Acrobat Reader & do a "CTRL+D" keyboard shortcut. It will tell you what program was used to compile & generate the PDF. [emoji41][emoji1303]

Not sure if this is exactly what you are getting at, but with problematic and/or huge PDFs, I utilize the "print as bitmap" in the print dialogue box (most decent programs have this feature) even on large jobs, you can still get away with as high as 600dpi.
I did not know about CTRL+D, good stuff ;)

There are a lot of websites that reduce a PDF size, but that is problematic with sensitive documents (I have only used this method once, personally). Quick google search will give several options like this wiki page (https://www.wikihow.com/Reduce-PDF-File-Size)

You can also use a pdf splitter, set the default print preferences (e.g., landscape, fold, punch, et cetera) in Devices and Printers select all the individual pages right click and print (this is not very good for mix-sized documents though).

blackcat4866
10-19-2019, 12:53 AM
Would this phenomenon explain why a PDF document would multiply x10 or more in size in the print queue?
Is this BullZip anything like CutePDF? I've been using this for many years. For a long time some Kyocera and Lexmark bulletins were in html format only. If you wanted to save them in a file structure it is really handy to convert to a PDF. Is flattening happening in this process? I've noticed that when color matching is crucial, a PDF conversion does not necessarily maintain the same color as the Publisher original document. 100% K portions of color documents can become composite black in the converted file, and vice versa. =^..^=

qbert69
10-19-2019, 03:00 AM
Would this phenomenon explain why a PDF document would multiply x10 or more in size in the print queue?
Is this BullZip anything like CutePDF? I've been using this for many years. For a long time some Kyocera and Lexmark bulletins were in html format only. If you wanted to save them in a file structure it is really handy to convert to a PDF. Is flattening happening in this process? I've noticed that when color matching is crucial, a PDF conversion does not necessarily maintain the same color as the Publisher original document. 100% K portions of color documents can become composite black in the converted file, and vice versa. =^..^=If the PDF is not flattened prior to sending to the printer, it will "bloat" when the mfp tries to RIP it. Best thing to do is reduce the elements of the document as much as possible. This means forcing the graphics into one layer & reducing the number of color spaces that are contained therein. I had a quite large PDF document a customer was trying to print. It would always get into the job about 50 pages then stall and hang...never recover. I was able to use a program called FileJuicer that would rip ANY containerized document open and then categorize the components into folders....jpg, tif, html, etc, etc. Long story short, the PDF contained graphics with multiple different color spaces...RGB, CMYK, etc, etc. I basically arrived at the conclusion that the dissimilar color spaces was what was causing the machine to hang. I believe it was a Ricoh/Savin that it happened on and the document (product catalogue) was compiled on an Apple computer. Some MFP's process PDF'S better than others. I have found with Ricoh/Savin you REALLY have to "dumb the process down"!!![emoji15] Other brands such as HP seem to do a better job at processing PDF files!!! Just my "observed" 2 cents worth!!![emoji6][emoji1303]

File Juicer - Extract images from PDF, PowerPoint, Word, Excel and other Files on Mac OS X (https://echoone.com/filejuicer/)

tsbservice
10-19-2019, 07:19 AM
I found this page has some insights within:
Printing complex PDF document using Adobe Acrobat (https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/printing-complex-pdfs-acrobat.html)

methogod
10-20-2019, 07:52 AM

Many Thanks

What are these files? how are they made? are they scans? Few ways you can speed up before printing, not of them complicated...
Does you client have Adobe CC?

copier tech
10-20-2019, 11:55 AM

Many Thanks

Try using Fox IT PDF reader you can save the PDF as a flattened document & it will print a lot faster.

Free PDF Reader & PDF Viewer Download | Foxit Software (https://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf-reader/)

srvctec
10-24-2019, 05:04 PM
If the PDF is not flattened prior to sending to the printer, it will "bloat" when the mfp tries to RIP it. Best thing to do is reduce the elements of the document as much as possible. This means forcing the graphics into one layer & reducing the number of color spaces that are contained therein. I had a quite large PDF document a customer was trying to print. It would always get into the job about 50 pages then stall and hang...never recover. I was able to use a program called FileJuicer that would rip ANY containerized document open and then categorize the components into folders....jpg, tif, html, etc, etc. Long story short, the PDF contained graphics with multiple different color spaces...RGB, CMYK, etc, etc. I basically arrived at the conclusion that the dissimilar color spaces was what was causing the machine to hang. I believe it was a Ricoh/Savin that it happened on and the document (product catalogue) was compiled on an Apple computer. Some MFP's process PDF'S better than others. I have found with Ricoh/Savin you REALLY have to "dumb the process down"!!![emoji15] Other brands such as HP seem to do a better job at processing PDF files!!! Just my "observed" 2 cents worth!!![emoji6][emoji1303]

File Juicer - Extract images from PDF, PowerPoint, Word, Excel and other Files on Mac OS X (https://echoone.com/filejuicer/)

Is there an easy way to tell if a PDF document is flattened? Too bad that info doesn't show up in the properties found with Ctrl+D.

Also, is flattening the same as printing to another PDF creating program/application? For example, I have a PDF with form fields but I don't want them to be editable. I print to a PDF program ( I use PDF Creator which is free and open source) and then it makes a new PDF but without editable form fields.

emujo2
10-24-2019, 05:20 PM
Had a customer scream at me because "the HPs spit out these docs in seconds..your POS take 2-3 min per page"..Sure enough, watching the printspooler I could see a 2KB file spool up to 15 MB during the RIP process..and indeed each page took 2-3 min.. Turns out this was crystal reports and the file was in a true PS format..The HPs were running with standard PS drivers..Once I swapped over to the KM PS drivers they were actually printing faster than the HPs..File format is everything...E

progoffice
10-24-2019, 07:44 PM
The print spooler is your friend when it comes to showing customers why something is taking a long time to print. If slow spooling is an issue, I've suggested to customers (if possible) to try and print large documents directly from a thumb drive. In my testing, the same large job will print a lot faster. I realize this is not a solution, but it quickly proves that the bottleneck is not the printer.

allan
10-24-2019, 07:47 PM
What if you submit the PDF straight to the machine? You can use PSWC or a hot folder.

allan
10-24-2019, 07:58 PM
Works well if you need to do setup for pre printer forms.
Utility Software Download | Support & Downloads - Business Solutions | KONICA MINOLTA (https://www.btapac.konicaminolta.com/drivers/utilities/download.html?pid=3032)

emujo2
12-21-2022, 02:10 PM
I'm not sure what good commenting on a 3 year old post is, but that being said....It helps to be familiar with the rastorization process where the vectored image and text data is converted to a bitmap image that the printer can understand. This is done on the workstation or server side and is what you are seeing when the spool file size starts to increase, in many cases becoming 10 X as large as the original file. This is where learning about page printer settings, print as image, PCL or PS drivers, and configuring the print file itself come in handy. Once the entire chunk of data is sent to the machine it should be printing at its rated speed, but all the standard user sees is a blinking data light and 2 min wait per page, of course the IT rep is always going to say it's the printer. E

Custom Search