PDA

View Full Version : 8 Series Drums Stock

Custom Search

trscolin
10-25-2019, 10:28 PM
In Canada have had DR-313K drums Backordered for past couple weeks neither KM warehouse has stock We even checked with another dealer and they are backordered as well.

Even checked online sources and they are out of stock.

Anyone have any insight to what's going on? I know the life expectancy is horrible but no stock?

Anyone ever tried to put a 4 series DR-512K in place of a DR-313K as an emergency solution? (Obviously chipped with a 8 series chip)

copyman
10-25-2019, 11:27 PM
Not sure about the aftermarket parts to rebuild the drum units but the chips are same for "4" series (DR-512) & "8" series (DR-313). I would think they are the same parts. I only rebuild the "4" series drum units at this point. Since they have all the parts (drum, blade, grid, sawtooth charger, chip) for under $50 it's worth it. My customers still have mostly "4" series, only sold a few "8" series so far.

I would just rebuild some old "8" series drums and chip accordingly. Until they come back in stock or maybe after you see how easy they are to rebuild, and how much profit you can make just start using only rebuilt.

Another option as most know is to buy just black drums, change chip and use for color. Genuine black drums aren't to bad around $70-$80

WARNING: DO NOT JUST CHIP A USED DRUM. THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE DRUM WILL SHORT OUT CAUSING DEVELOPER UNIT(S) TO CRASH! DEV UNITS $600 EACH! Just not worth it with these other drum options.

tsbservice
10-26-2019, 12:20 AM
There is new drum for 8 series, long life. Also 4 and 8 series drum units are sooo different.
Check latest parts list and order accordingly.

blackcat4866
10-26-2019, 02:15 AM
The DR-313K is the black drum, and I haven't been re-stocked in a month, either.

If I were to offer a WAG, I'd say that KM is re-engineering the DR-313K somehow ... maybe in the hopes of getting a little more yield. As far as I'm concerned, it's the charge roller that's the weakness in these units, and since the charge values are considerably lower for direct contact charging, it's probably impossible to convert back to a needle electrode or wire charging situation without major changes to the chassis.

If a person were hypothetically to install, oh lets say, a C759 drum into a 808 or vice-versa, you get charge errors on both machines. The C759 uses roller charge, and the 808 uses two needle electrodes with grids.
=^..^=

tech51
10-26-2019, 02:26 AM
The DR-315K (known as the long life drum in the eu) is the one you need.

The firmware has to be updated to W or above.

The only difference I can see is on the cleaner for the charge roller but they seem to last longer than the 313s do.

Might be worth seeing if you can get them where you are.

copier tech
10-26-2019, 09:45 AM
In Canada have had DR-313K drums Backordered for past couple weeks neither KM warehouse has stock We even checked with another dealer and they are backordered as well.

Even checked online sources and they are out of stock.

Anyone have any insight to what's going on? I know the life expectancy is horrible but no stock?

Anyone ever tried to put a 4 series DR-512K in place of a DR-313K as an emergency solution? (Obviously chipped with a 8 series chip)

I've been fitting the 4 series cylinder into the 8 series drum unit if i've run out in the van stock no issues so far.

copyman
10-26-2019, 05:03 PM
I've been fitting the 4 series cylinder into the 8 series drum unit if i've run out in the van stock no issues so far.

Good to know. Thanks for the info

Woxner
10-26-2019, 06:00 PM
km has about 20k of these comming in about mide nov. the 8e series might work because i have used an 8 series drum in place of 8e series

copier tech
10-27-2019, 01:58 PM
Also regarding the C227 drums do the 4 or 8 series fit this model? they look very similar

Don N.
01-09-2020, 03:53 AM

We r/b all of our c220 & c224e series drums but when we've used that same drum cylinder in an 8 we've had these symptoms: (only tried K position so far)

Background all over after 5 months & 25k in a C308
Background after 24 hours & 100 pages in a C558
black as midnight like someone did a full 255 halftones of all 4 colors, followed by immediate jam in fuser on first and only test print of KM birdie test page
High pitched squeal like high voltage transformer or capacitor whining (so high pitch some couldn't hear it, but loud)
You can feel a big difference in the weight of an 8 series drum vs c220/c224e.

Until the above failures, the copy & print q. was exactly the same as an OEM, but the old style drums charge acceptance must be way more and it's loading down the H.V. supply board.
When we got a compatible drum designed for 8's we swapped them all in & out with compatible and with OEM charge & cleaning rollers and the noise follows the c220/c224e drum while the oem & compatible 8 drums are almost silent during stabilization and charging.

Even if the c. quality held out and the cust didn't mind the noise, I think its too risky to use the c220/c224e cylinder in the 8 drum ctg. Could fry a board. Like the other guy said you can get all the parts & r/b for just over half the cost of black & chip c/m/y or k.

Custom Search