PDA

View Full Version : bizhub PRO C6500 Keeps jamming when printing glossy sticker paper

Custom Search

orestesp
10-31-2019, 06:42 PM
I just spent the better part of this afternoon trying to print some labels that need to be printed on some glossy sticker paper that I've printed again on this machine some time ago (with no success so far if you haven't guessed already).

Here are the specifics:

Paper is brand new, literally came in the shop this morning. I am using 13x19 sheets and it's of decent quality that we've been using for years with no problems so far.

Paper is fed through the bypass tray. When a sheet is pulled into the machine, the one directly beneath it will sometimes move back and forth. It usually pulls one, maybe 2 sheets before a jam occurs. And the jams are all over the machine. It ranges from not feeding the paper properly from the bypass tray, to jamming just before entering the fuser, just after leaving the fuser, or in between the fuser and the finisher.

The codes I've been getting are all over the place. The codes I've gotten so far are:

J-7216
J-3202
J-1001

and a "Please call service C-3202" screen that thankfully cleared after restarting the machine.

I've tried using smaller sheets of the same paper, hoping that this would clear the issue, but to no avail. Also trying feeding the smaller sheets through Tray 1 and 2, with the same results.

I am stumped, any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Phil B.
10-31-2019, 06:50 PM
I just spent the better part of this afternoon trying to print some labels that need to be printed on some glossy sticker paper that I've printed again on this machine some time ago (with no success so far if you haven't guessed already).
Here are the specifics:
Paper is brand new, literally came in the shop this morning. I am using 13x19 sheets and it's of decent quality that we've been using for years with no problems so far.
Paper is fed through the bypass tray. When a sheet is pulled into the machine, the one directly beneath it will sometimes move back and forth. It usually pulls one, maybe 2 sheets before a jam occurs. And the jams are all over the machine. It ranges from not feeding the paper properly from the bypass tray, to jamming just before entering the fuser, just after leaving the fuser, or in between the fuser and the finisher.
The codes I've been getting are all over the place. The codes I've gotten so far are:
J-7216 J-3202 J-1001
and a "Please call service C-3202" screen that thankfully cleared after restarting the machine.
I've tried using smaller sheets of the same paper, hoping that this would clear the issue, but to no avail. Also trying feeding the smaller sheets through Tray 1 and 2, with the same results.
I am stumped, any ideas? Thanks in advance.

well you left of some important info:

how many total pages on unit?
pm done correctly and on time?
have you replaced feed/sep in MPT tray?
have you set it for GLOSSY labels?

orestesp
10-31-2019, 07:00 PM
well you left of some important info:

how many total pages on unit?
pm done correctly and on time?
have you replaced feed/sep in MPT tray?
have you set it for GLOSSY labels?

~2,600,000
Machine has been without a maintenance contract for a little over 10,000 prints, so I am guessing that they must have replaced anything that was due.

I've selected Coated-GL (that's what a tech told us to use when printing sticker paper) and checked Glossy in CWS.

Synthohol
10-31-2019, 07:41 PM
Selecting glossy in command workstation if it's the checkbox I'm thinking of it actually slows down the print and gets extra hot so that the wax in the toner Rises to the surface creating a glossy effect please be more specific when you say that you checked glossy in command workstation

orestesp
10-31-2019, 07:48 PM
Selecting glossy in command workstation if it's the checkbox I'm thinking of it actually slows down the print and gets extra hot so that the wax in the toner Rises to the surface creating a glossy effect please be more specific when you say that you checked glossy in command workstation

This is the box that I had initially checked when giving the order. But after seeing that the machine refused to print, I also tried printing without this option enabled, but the problem persists.

Sorry if I haven't posted the details you and anyone else reading this thread needs to try and fully assess what is going on. If you need some extra info, please ask.

Thanks again.

Synthohol
10-31-2019, 09:34 PM
what is the GSM of the media?
not all media types are compatible with that model.
on the paper package does it say its compatible with laserjet machines? a lot of those label type papers are made for a press or inkjet.
i think static is playing a role here too.
what is the make and model of the labels?

the only labels approved for that machine are avery 5160 8.5x11 only from a paper feed cabinet with air assist. bypass in not an option either.

see the doc in the next post for all certified media that konica will stand behind, all others are at your own risk unfortunately.

orestesp
10-31-2019, 09:51 PM
what is the GSM of the media?
not all media types are compatible with that model.
on the paper package does it say its compatible with laserjet machines? a lot of those label type papers are made for a press or inkjet.
i think static is playing a role here too.
what is the make and model of the labels?

I'm at home right now, so I can't check the invoice, but from memory, they are made by a company named JAC, and like I said, we've used this sticker paper before with this machine with no problems on this machine a couple of months ago. They came in larger 70x100 cm sheets and they were cut to a 13x19' sheet in order to fit in the machine. Furthermore, another print shop that used to own a C6500 also used this brand of sticker paper and continues to use it with their C6000 with no issues. The grammage of the sheets that I've tried printing the labels on should be around 120-150 gsm, I can't really remember the exact number.

We've also tried cutting the 13x19 sheet in half, resulting in a sheet a bit larger than a A4 sheet, but like I said, to no avail.

Yesterday, we've also tried a different brand of matte sticker paper, and it behaved even worse than today. It would constantly jam in between the fuser exit and the finisher entrance and made for a really messy jam. We thought it was just poor quality sticker paper, but as it turns out, something else has to be going on.

In the meantime, because we couldn't finish printing the labels, we printed on some thick 300 gsm Coated-MO paper a small batch of business cards and everything turned out OK with no issues whatsoever.

orestesp
10-31-2019, 10:00 PM
the only labels approved for that machine are avery 5160 8.5x11 only from a paper feed cabinet with air assist. bypass in not an option either.

see the doc in the next post for all certified media that konica will stand behind, all others are at your own risk unfortunately.

If it makes any difference, this isn't a sheet with a bunch of small labels already cut onto it, but rather a large piece of sticker paper whose release liner has horizontal cuts for easier peeling of the stickers by hand. The labels will be cut to size later on after the printing is done.

Phil B.
10-31-2019, 10:19 PM
If it makes any difference, this isn't a sheet with a bunch of small labels already cut onto it, but rather a large piece of sticker paper whose release liner has horizontal cuts for easier peeling of the stickers by hand. The labels will be cut to size later on after the printing is done.I'm with Synth on this sounds like INKJET labels.

Just because you used them before doesn't mean they are the exact forumlation as the others.

Most good laser labels don't squeeze out glue on the edges, therefore gumming up the fuser.. which leads me to another point, they could have messed up fuser to the point it won't handle them correctly but will allow thinner paper pass.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

orestesp
10-31-2019, 10:25 PM
I'm with Synth on this sounds like INKJET labels.

Just because you used them before doesn't mean they are the exact formulation as the others.

Most good laser labels don't squeeze out glue on the edges, therefore gumming up the fuser.. which leads me to another point, they could have messed up fuser to the point it won't handle them correctly but will allow thinner paper pass.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I inspected the fusing belt and the fuser roller and it didn't looked gummed up, but rather the same as before all this. And like I said in a previous post, I was able to pass around 20 sheets of Coated-MO paper (it was a small job) flawlessly through without any hiccups after all the jams.

blackcat4866
10-31-2019, 11:30 PM
Maybe this will help:
https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/konica-minolta/30443-j-3202-j-3203-km-c6500-2.html#post907565

=^..^=

Custom Search