PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous What do KM machines have against NTP servers?

Custom Search

John Kaufmann
11-14-2019, 07:57 PM
Some people have said that the bizhub error "Time adjustment was not successful" comes from an invalid NTP server, but EVERY server (including those used on our computers) gets the same response -- and also fails PING from the bizhub (but, again, not from others hosts). Even pool.ntp.org fails. I know the standard "fix" is to turn Off (the default setting) "Time Adjustment Setting" ... but why? It's there for a reason, right?

[BTW: everything on the other side of NAT seems to fail the bizhub PING. That may be a clue, but I'm clueless about what to do with it.]

emujo2
11-14-2019, 08:12 PM
The fix is to point the Bizhub to an internal server. With so much browser security today, many machines are failing to get to the outside world..E

copier tech
11-14-2019, 11:12 PM
I use "time.windows.com" for my Bizhub time servers or if that fails or DNS is not resolving the name use an IP NTP instead (207.58.142.213) for example.

Konica are the only MFP that will display an error if time is not resolved.

rrrohan
11-15-2019, 12:43 AM
ive stopped setting auto adjustments for this very reason and either just manually set it or use NTP but sync it manually on PM calls

the only customers in my experience that even notice time being wrong are those that still print faxes and need proof via TX report that a fax was sent before some deadline

Bix
11-15-2019, 08:10 AM
In all these years I never managed to set one time to activate automatic time adjustment.

This is really frustrating for those with faxes. The good news for Europe is that next year there will be no time zones anymore. It seems almost done on purpose

John Kaufmann
11-17-2019, 06:06 AM
I use "time.windows.com" for my Bizhub time servers or if that fails or DNS is not resolving the name use an IP NTP instead (207.58.142.213) for example.

Thanks! It took a little time to explore your answer (I'm still not finished with the several threads of it), but in short: the key is getting DNS set up properly.

rrrohan
11-18-2019, 06:58 AM
I try to always point them to the domain controller via IP.

server will generally never change its IP so its safe to use this instead of host name

One thing i noticed is CSRC doesnt use the same clock as what you see when you print meter readings page or see in user mode on screen

Ive had a few machines with correct time yet CSRC thinks its 2021

John Kaufmann
11-18-2019, 05:16 PM
... One thing i noticed is CSRC doesnt use the same clock as what you see when you print meter readings page or see in user mode on screen

Ive had a few machines with correct time yet CSRC thinks its 2021

You mean NIST's CSRC? - I didn't know they had NTP service.

Synthohol
11-18-2019, 06:31 PM
I use nist.time.gov and make sure 8.8.8.8 in one of the DNS selections and make sure the copiers clock in both places is at least close first.

John Kaufmann
11-18-2019, 07:03 PM
I use nist.time.gov and make sure 8.8.8.8 in one of the DNS selections ...
Good point on Google DNS. Do you know if the server pool at nist.time.gov is preferable to the one at pool.ntp.org?

... and make sure the copiers clock in both places is at least close first.
"both places"? I thought the copier had only one clock.

John Kaufmann
11-18-2019, 07:03 PM
I use nist.time.gov and make sure 8.8.8.8 in one of the DNS selections ...
Good point on Google DNS. Do you know if the server pool at nist.time.gov is preferable to the one at pool.ntp.org?

... and make sure the copiers clock in both places is at least close first.
"both places"? I thought the copier had only one clock.

Synthohol
11-18-2019, 11:08 PM
depending on the series, in service mode you either hit stop 3 for the newer 8-9 series and stop 1 1 4 4 c on the 4 series and previous.
then in admin mode make sure the time and date are the same.
2 places ;)

Custom Search