PDA

View Full Version : New driver install remains as "unspecified" in windows.

Custom Search

Schneider
11-20-2019, 01:55 AM
Hey all

Ive been installing drivers for years with no issues for KM machines using the add printer wizard but in recent months I keep getting a few windows PC's holding the device as unspecified, you then cannot configure the driver etc.

To make it more confusing the driver can be used normally in Word, Excel etc. I have gone back the next day and it attempted new installs and it works no problems?

I suspect this is a windows issue but it is can not find any answers. I have latest drivers, latest firmware and even rebooted PC's but nothing seems to make a difference?

Rather troublesome when you cant change defaults or add options.

Any ideas, thanks in advance.

tmaged
11-20-2019, 02:22 AM
Darn you M$. Back to missing printer icons again on W10 (https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/connectivity/143497-darn-you-m-back-missing-printer-icons-again-w10.html)

rrrohan
11-20-2019, 02:34 AM
you can still make changes but it wont work through Control Printers

just do it through Word or something

Just disable icon downloading in group policy

tsbservice
11-20-2019, 08:59 AM
Make them to upgrade their Windows version to the latest and greatest, seems that M$ repaired what they broke.

copier tech
11-20-2019, 09:53 AM
Hey all

Ive been installing drivers for years with no issues for KM machines using the add printer wizard but in recent months I keep getting a few windows PC's holding the device as unspecified, you then cannot configure the driver etc.

To make it more confusing the driver can be used normally in Word, Excel etc. I have gone back the next day and it attempted new installs and it works no problems?

I suspect this is a windows issue but it is can not find any answers. I have latest drivers, latest firmware and even rebooted PC's but nothing seems to make a difference?

Rather troublesome when you cant change defaults or add options.

Any ideas, thanks in advance.

Windows will add ay printer on the network & install using WSD.

I disable WSD on all new installs now for this very reason.

Qball
11-20-2019, 02:49 PM
Darn you M$. Back to missing printer icons again on W10 (https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/connectivity/143497-darn-you-m-back-missing-printer-icons-again-w10.html)

This is the solution we show to our customers. We have their IT group implement it. I don't like fussing with anyone's registry. Also, adding a printer through print management is unaffected by this little glitch. Even if the printer shows unspecified in control panel, it's there and functional in print management

rrrohan
11-21-2019, 03:53 AM
its strange because i replicated this in our workshop and i had to apply this group policy change and installed printer but have since re enabled the icons and now its working fine with proper icon

tmaged
11-21-2019, 01:49 PM
Not strange at all. If you read the article, the server that it connects to get the icons was down. It's now back up at Microsoft. At this time, you shouldn't have to mess with a workaround.

Custom Search