PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub 222 not adding toner

Custom Search

Gina82
11-22-2019, 04:04 PM
I have a bizhub 222 with toner hopper solenoids that just will not activate. I've checked the voltage from the power supply board to the PWB and the PWB is receiving 24v, I have check the voltage from the pwb to PJ15 (Main Hopper solenoid) and PJ21 ( Sub Hopper solenoid), both are receiving 5v. I have changed the connectors between the solenoids, each solenoid individually, the PWB, and the ATDC sensor but the Solenoids still never activate. when checking the printer voltage in service mode the ATDC sensor reads 684 but if I go to the section in the service mode called ATDC I get a reading of 184

Gina82
11-22-2019, 04:33 PM
just checked PJ5A (2nd pin provides voltage to ATDC sensor) and I'm only getting .10v. Might be the issue?

Phil B.
11-22-2019, 04:36 PM
just check PJ5A (2nd pin provides voltage to ATDC sensor) and I'm only getting .10v. Might be the issue?

good place to start!

Gina82
11-22-2019, 04:46 PM
@phil b, I got the sensor from a working machine, and it let me run a successful F8 adjustment when it was replaced. I took the connector out and check the pin on the board, but I know the board is a good board because I used the machine before using the needed parts. I'm lost here

allan
11-22-2019, 05:43 PM
Remember when testing on copiers like this if you get 5V on the supply to a device like a solenoid it means there is no current going thru and the device is in an off state.
The micro controller will close the loop by grounding the voltage after the device. So if it is trigger to actuate the voltage will drop to 0V or close to it because there is very little potential difference while the current is flowing.

Not sure about how the ATDC sensor works if it gives out a voltage or current reference for control. Have you measure the ATDC output on a good machine.
Those solenoids do like to stick.

Are you getting C-2557?

Gina82
11-22-2019, 06:06 PM
Remember when testing on copiers like this if you get 5V on the supply to a device like a solenoid it means there is no current going thru and the device is in an off state.
The micro controller will close the loop by grounding the voltage after the device. So if it is trigger to actuate the voltage will drop to 0V or close to it because there is very little potential difference while the current is flowing.

Not sure about how the ATDC sensor works if it gives out a voltage or current reference for control. Have you measure the ATDC output on a good machine.
Those solenoids do like to stick.

Are you getting C-2557?
I was getting a c 2557 error code followed by a c255c error code when performing F8 but I replaced the worn pads on the solenoids with electric tape and this got rid of the codes but I still had the issue of the solenoids not turning on. I just tested the solenoid and it remained in an off state, the voltage never dropped. I'll try a different solenoid and see what my results are. If neither drop to 0V what area should I start looking in? Keeping in mind I just changed the PWB and connector housing

Gina82
11-22-2019, 06:30 PM
@Allan, neither solenoid drops from 5v to 0v, both stay at a constant 5.09v

Gina82
11-22-2019, 09:05 PM
??

Woxner
11-22-2019, 09:57 PM
in level history what is the toner % should be 6 to 7% it wont add till this drops. never seen or heard of these going bad. just sticking

allan
11-23-2019, 05:12 PM
Do I understand this right the prints are getting lighter with no error codes?
The the machine must think the toner density value is ok?

PWB?
The one at the back of the machine?

Leyahné
11-24-2019, 12:11 PM
Are you using original toner? Is the machine making a funny noise?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

blackcat4866
11-24-2019, 03:42 PM
Are you getting any C2403 errors? =^..^=

Gina82
11-26-2019, 07:58 PM
I was not receiving any error code but I did find the problem. After replacing the pads on the solenoids with electrical tape, trouble resetting, and performing F8 the error code of C2557 was gone. I looked at the scanning value of the ATDC sensor and it was 5.5% but the minimum is 7%, so once I replaced the ATDC sensor with another the new scanning value was 8% and no longer asked to add toner, once I placed the original back into the developing unit the machine gave me a C2557 error code and scanning value remained below 7%. Once the official part comes in I will update you all and let you know if the solenoids activate. Thank you all for attempting to help

Woxner
11-26-2019, 09:37 PM
here is the thing about running F8. you have to reset drum and dev counts turn machine off leave side door open then turn main sw back on ., go into service make sure the counts reset to 0. NEW DRUM and DEV are highly recommended. If you run F8 without resseting counters it will give a 2557 in a day or two. the atdc sets up around 145 to 165. the higher the number the higher the toner % will be. running f8 and not ressetting drum will give you a 2557.

Gina82
12-05-2019, 05:01 PM
Customer called back and said the machine was not adding toner, I looked inside the toner hopper assembly and saw a mountain of toner and the sub hopper solenoid is not activating now. I swapped the connectors for the sub and main hopper in the back of the machine and the black connector that goes to the sub hopper solenoid will make both solenoids work if plugged into each connector housing individually BUT the white connector for the main hopper solenoid will not work. It is receiving 24v but still will not work. I have changed the connector, board, and toner hopper assembly and nothing works. The white connector for the main hopper solenoid absolutely will not activate the solenoid but the black one for the sub hopper will activate them. Any ideas at all? I'm stumped.

907tec
12-05-2019, 07:22 PM
I think you might be chasing your own tail at this point. It seems like the machine isn't adding toner because it doesn't want to. The ATDC values / life counters / developer mix are all out of whack. If I were in your position, I would bite the bullet and install new dev/drum and follow the advice of Wox. Depending on your level of frustration/budget, might be good to throw a new developer housing in there at the same time.

Gina82
12-05-2019, 08:34 PM
@907tec I just cleaned the sub hopper out and cleared the counters. I have not ran an F8 just yet but am about to. I checked the level history and the ATDC sensor is at 6.5% with the ATDC set at 106. I felt the same way when you said maybe the machine didn't WANT to add toner but doubted that this old of a machine would do that. I could be wrong though

Gina82
12-05-2019, 09:13 PM
cleared counters, cleaned sub hopper, and ran F8. Started a large print job (400) pages and when the copier came up with the message "The machine will begin printing after adding toner" after running about 250-270 copies, the toner main hopper solenoid never activated and the toner bottle never began to spin. Also I checked level history after running F8 and the ATDC is set for 96 now (was previously 106)

Woxner
12-05-2019, 10:19 PM
106 is way too low. the lower the number the less toner is added. it needes to set up at 145 to 170. never seen one that low. you should not run f8 gemerally unless new dev is used. take all of our sugestions and start with new dev and drum. if you reset old drum as new you might get streaks. seen too many guys try and get around this and have failed. the bottle will not turn until the sub hopper asks for it too. at 106 it may not add toner till its at 3% or so

copyman
12-06-2019, 04:22 AM
I can't add much more than has been posted. I just had this same thing on my last Biz 222. Had C2557 code so brought a rebuilt complete Image unit with me. Surprised to see there were only 18k on the current drum / dev. Went ahead and replaced the IU, ran F8 and so far so good. What had me worried a little was I ran around 75 pages and couldn't get btl to turn but % was still at 145. Customer had to make important copies so I didn't want to run all the toner out trying to get btl to turn. So I left. It's been about a month so assuming all good. I even waited around 2 weeks to bill them because I was so sure they would be calling any day with 2557 code.

Also told them if code came back that it wouldn't make sense to waste more $$$ on that obsolete model. Figured I would upgrade them to a Biz 224e and have them as a customer until I retire :)

Custom Search