PDA

View Full Version : J-3201/3202/3102, Broken Fuser Driving Gear, Paper Wrinkles

Custom Search

orestesp
12-06-2019, 07:02 PM
Greetings,

Yesterday I was printing some leaflets for a product presentation on 150 gsm Coated-MO SRA4 paper on the C6500. They were fed through the bypass tray on their long edge. All of them would get wrinkled (see the photos attached), and every 5 sheets or so, it would jam in between the fuser entrance and the discharge corona when the paper was fed through the second time through the fuser in order to fuse the toner onto the second side of the paper.

It would usually spit out a J-3201, and sometimes a J-3102 or J-3202. After removing the front fuser cover and fooling the machine that the front door was closed, I was able to see that the fuser drive gear (P/N: A03U808600) was missing one of its teeth. Also, I didn't notice any play on the 3 one way gears when the fuser was entering pressure mode.

I was able to finish that job, albeit with a lot of trouble. Today, I replaced the broken gear and put some grease on all of the gears in the fuser's gearbox, and tried printing the same thing on the same paper again. And the exact same thing happened. It jammed with a J-3201, and when it was finally able to successfully print one, it came out wrinkled. I then tried printing a 13x19' sheet of the exact same paper, but I only had 300 gsm at hand. It printed it successfully first try, no wrinkled, no fuss, no nothing.

Then I tried printing some random document on some plain A4 paper, and, again, perfect. Feeding the paper from a different tray didn't help at all, neither before nor after the repair on the fuser was performed.

The machine is a bizhub PRO C6500, with ~2,740,000 impressions on it, and with a FS-607 finisher attached to it.

So, here's what's been bugging me, if anyone can take the time to answer, I'd be grateful.

1. Is it just the paper or there's still something wrong with the fuser?
2. After tearing the fuser down, I could see that the fuser drive gear /B (P/N: A03U808201) was looking rather worn and was on the machine for more than 400,000 impressions. I will replace this early next week, and I am looking into replacing as many of them as I can, because, clearly, whoever was contracted to service this machine, did the job rather poorly, to say the least (the fuser duct on the rear of the fuser holding the lamp of the pressure roler had been broken by someone in a haste and the lamp was hanging by a thread when I opened it). I was thinking of replacing all of the 3 one way gears. Are they the ones I have highlighted in my photo (marked 1, 2 and 3) and are they all the same P/N? Or are they all different?

Many thanks.

Photos: Imgur: The magic of the Internet (https://imgur.com/a/eSakH9Y)

Toxic
12-06-2019, 07:58 PM
Yes, that 3 gears is cause of problems propably.
All 3 is the same type (A03U809311 Fixing Drive Gear /M ) and look is the shaft damaged under gear 2 on your photo.
If that fuser drive is on that machine from start and never replaced shaft is damaged for sure.
A03U725800 FIXING DRIVE SHAFT /A

orestesp
12-06-2019, 08:17 PM
All 3 is the same type (A03U809311 Fixing Drive Gear /M ) and look is the shaft damaged under gear 2 on your photo.

How much damage are we talking about? If it's become shiny then it needs replacing? If it's not too much to ask, can you give me a P/N?

If that fuser drive is on that machine from start and never replaced shaft is damaged for sure.

This shaft has a shiny patch where the gear sits, so I am guessing it is overdue to be replaced?

Thanks.

tsbservice
12-06-2019, 08:50 PM
Topic starter - great description.
I don't know KM production machines yet, but i would rely on Toxic reply as much as possible.

Toxic
12-06-2019, 08:53 PM
In cases i see shaft was shiny and worn (diameter of shaft is smaller where gear sits) ,you can feel it when go over shaft with fingers.
If it is only shiny without diameter change maybe it can hold more time without replace.
I replace one few days ago and i will post photo tomorow so you can how looks like see bad damaged shaft.
I already give you PN for shaft:

Just to mention,when you replace this 3 gears take notice of direction for each one because its one way gear and if you put them reverse you have problem.

orestesp
12-06-2019, 08:59 PM

If I understood correctly, you pointed out that 2 shafts may need replacing. The first one you mention is the one that the #2 gear (as I have them numbered) sits on. The second one that you mention is the one that the gear that I just replaced (gear P/N: A03U808600) sits on, correct?

Are these two shafts identical? Do I need to replace just the one that the gear that I just replaced sits on?

Sorry if I'm being daft on this one.

Many thanks.

Toxic
12-06-2019, 09:07 PM
Maybe i wasn't clear enough...
I mean you just should replace one shaft where gears m sits (A03U725800 FIXING DRIVE SHAFT /A).
If you have access to KM parts you should replace this shaft together with gears m because it is not expensive (in my country under $10) and do not think about that for long time.

@tsbservice
Agreed,when somebody make so good description and have some knowledge it is not hard to point and solve problem.

orestesp
12-06-2019, 09:15 PM
Maybe i wasn't clear enough...
I mean you just should replace one shaft where gears m sits (A03U725800 FIXING DRIVE SHAFT /A).
If you have access to KM parts you should replace this shaft together with gears m because it is not expensive (in my country under $10) and do not think about that for long time.

@tsbservice
Agreed,when somebody make so good description and have some knowledge it is not hard to point and solve problem.

Excellent, thank you very much.

raplma
12-09-2019, 04:04 PM
Not adding to what has been said, simply showing what happens to the shaft in question.
We have had this on two machines a c5501 and c6501 and in both cases replacing the shaft and gears solved the code for us.
You'll notice in the pic below how the shaft gets polished by the one way clutch in the gear in question.
I have known others to run some fine emery paper over the shaft to rough it up, however as mentioned the shaft diameter will have changed, so this is something that we've not done.

allan
12-09-2019, 05:37 PM
Not adding to what has been said, simply showing what happens to the shaft in question.
We have had this on two machines a c5501 and c6501 and in both cases replacing the shaft and gears solved the code for us.
You'll notice in the pic below how the shaft gets polished by the one way clutch in the gear in question.
I have known others to run some fine emery paper over the shaft to rough it up, however as mentioned the shaft diameter will have changed, so this is something that we've not done.

Scoring the shafts for me works better. Use a stanley blade and scrape 4 lines on the shiny bit in the axial direction 90deg for each other.
Makes a slight ticking noise as it pushes the pin bearings out if you turn it by hand but not likely to slip for some time and you don't reduce the diameter.

Yes OP did give a very good description.

Honpress
08-16-2023, 04:17 PM
In cases i see shaft was shiny and worn (diameter of shaft is smaller where gear sits) ,you can feel it when go over shaft with fingers.
If it is only shiny without diameter change maybe it can hold more time without replace.
I replace one few days ago and i will post photo tomorow so you can how looks like see bad damaged shaft.

Just to mention,when you replace this 3 gears take notice of direction for each one because its one way gear and if you put them reverse you have problem.

Hello,

I'm going to replace these 2 identical gears that are on the shaft. Now I'm doubt about the direction each gear should go. I'm not doing this often, still learning and try to replace parts myself.
Could you tell me what is the right direction or how to check without damaging anything.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Ilse

Toxic
08-16-2023, 06:54 PM
Mark gears sides (take photo) before disassembling and put back the same way.
Right position can be noticed by looking shiny trail on the shaft because one way bearing inside gear is about half lenght of the whole gear length.

Honpress
08-17-2023, 11:53 AM
Mark gears sides (take photo) before disassembling and put back the same way.
Right position can be noticed by looking shiny trail on the shaft because one way bearing inside gear is about half lenght of the whole gear length.

Hi, thank you for your respond!
Figured out about the shaft with the shiny trails, after a while. I was dumb enough to take photo's of everything while taking it apart for replacement, except those gears.:)

Custom Search