PDA

View Full Version : DU-104 instead of DU-102C on C6500

Custom Search

orestesp
12-09-2019, 09:28 AM
Greetings,

After some digging around, I found some older threads where people reported that they used the DU-104 drum units on their C6500s and found them to be superior to the DU-102c. Specifically, the vertical streaking that are caused by the cleaning blade used on the DU-102c units that appear while printing, especially when the DU-102c units begin to reach their EOL, don't happen (at least) as often when using the DU-104 drum units on the offending colours.

Right now, every time I switch on the machine and start printing, I am guaranteed to be greeted with yellow streaking and it's really annoying.

With the yellow and black drums due to be replaced soon on our C6500, I was thinking of replacing them with DU-104s instead of DU-102cs. My only concern is that, although the vast majority that used the 104s on their machine said they worked perfectly and have never looked back ever since, there were 1 or 2 posts reporting that the machine threw a C-XXXX code at them or reported some kind of a problem.

Will having 104s on the yellow and black and 102s on the magenta and cyan work (magenta and cyan aren't due to be replaced yet)? Or will mixing 104s with 102s cause me a problem? Do I have to do something before switching to 104s like e.g. updating the firmware if it's not done already (had seen this mentioned somewhere).

Many thanks.

raplma
12-10-2019, 09:57 AM
Morning
While you wait for the true techs to arrive may I tell you of our experience...
As you know we have had a c6501 and still have one c5501, and similar to the c6500 series came from the factory using DU-102's.
We have always replaced the drums with DU-104's in our machines and in one instance - to use up old stock - did have the c5501 running both 104 and 102 units.
I assume the key part in installing the drum as with any drum is to ensure the Drum initial rotation is run in Service Mode.
For us there was no discernable difference and certainly no problems, and we didn't update the FW either.
Again I respond from experience with our machines rather than KM authority.
Mark

Custom Search