PDA

View Full Version : Error Code Konica Minolta Bizhub C300i and 458 - Authentication Issues

Custom Search

AnITGuy
12-13-2019, 02:31 PM
Hi Everyone,
I am hoping to pick some brains here to figure out this issue I am having with our copiers. We are currently using User Authentication to prevent color printing by all staff. *TL;DR at the bottom

To accomplish this I have changed the following settings:
On the copiers' web interface, I have enabled User Authentication "ON (MFP)" with Public User Access "ON (Without Login)". Under Authentication Settings, I have added users with an easy to remember temporary password 1234. Under User Authentication Setting>Public User, I changed Copy and Print to "Black Only". I also setup Print without Authentication to "Black Only".
In the printer driver on the server, I have checked boxes under Settings>Authentication Settings... "Verify Authentication settings before printing" and "Popup Authentication Dialog when printing". Then after some research on this website, under Configure>Device Options I turned User Authentication "ON (MFP).
Under Printing Preferences, under the Basic Tab, I have inputted the username and password under "Authentication/Account Track...". I clicked the verify button and it succeeds.

With the settings the way they are above, our Mac users are able to print with no authentication in black and white, and if they use the Authentication settings, they are able to print in Color as well. This, however, breaks down with our Windows users. When Windows users print, they receive the prompt for authentication, and when you put the username and password in, you can click the verify button it says Verification has succeeded, but when they print, the printer has Error Deletion with Login Error as the reason.

Is this a common problem or did I configure something incorrectly? My thought was the print driver was the issue, for the C300i I am currently using the C360iseriesPCL driver, and for the C458 I am using the C368SeriesPCL or most recently the C658SeriesPCL driver (when using the 658 driver with the login, it prints black and white only).

*TL;DR
I have setup User Authentication, and while it says verification succeeded, it will not print from Windows computers. Macbooks in the same environment work properly with the authentication settings currently setup. The error on the copier is Error Deletion--Login Error.

I really appreciate any help on this matter.

~S

jwai
12-13-2019, 03:26 PM
Hi Everyone,
I am hoping to pick some brains here to figure out this issue I am having with our copiers. We are currently using User Authentication to prevent color printing by all staff. *TL;DR at the bottom

To accomplish this I have changed the following settings:
On the copiers' web interface, I have enabled User Authentication "ON (MFP)" with Public User Access "ON (Without Login)". Under Authentication Settings, I have added users with an easy to remember temporary password 1234. Under User Authentication Setting>Public User, I changed Copy and Print to "Black Only". I also setup Print without Authentication to "Black Only".
In the printer driver on the server, I have checked boxes under Settings>Authentication Settings... "Verify Authentication settings before printing" and "Popup Authentication Dialog when printing". Then after some research on this website, under Configure>Device Options I turned User Authentication "ON (MFP).
Under Printing Preferences, under the Basic Tab, I have inputted the username and password under "Authentication/Account Track...". I clicked the verify button and it succeeds.

With the settings the way they are above, our Mac users are able to print with no authentication in black and white, and if they use the Authentication settings, they are able to print in Color as well. This, however, breaks down with our Windows users. When Windows users print, they receive the prompt for authentication, and when you put the username and password in, you can click the verify button it says Verification has succeeded, but when they print, the printer has Error Deletion with Login Error as the reason.

Is this a common problem or did I configure something incorrectly? My thought was the print driver was the issue, for the C300i I am currently using the C360iseriesPCL driver, and for the C458 I am using the C368SeriesPCL or most recently the C658SeriesPCL driver (when using the 658 driver with the login, it prints black and white only).

*TL;DR
I have setup User Authentication, and while it says verification succeeded, it will not print from Windows computers. Macbooks in the same environment work properly with the authentication settings currently setup. The error on the copier is Error Deletion--Login Error.

I really appreciate any help on this matter.

~S

Hihi, try off the " print without auth "......

emujo2
12-13-2019, 05:12 PM
Selection of the correct driver is critical here..You should not have to "enable" any of the user authentication settings in the driver. The driver must pull these settings from the MFP. If it cannot, the very least will be color jobs "deleted due to log in error". KMs latest drivers are a package deal, 1 download pretty much covers all the new B&W or Color drivers, however they are not universal. When the driver pops up the dialog box asking for which printer to use ( the list should show C368/C558.C759 ect) each selection is for the family ie C368 would cover the C258, C308 and C368. Within the driver properties is a configure tab (windows driver). It should show all of the options and paper sizes ect..when you "obtain device info" any changes like authentication, new users, should auto update. if you get an error you may as well stop trying. These communication failures are usually caused by the wrong IP or printer port type, a mis matched driver family (using C368 for C558), or changes to your SNMP community names. Updating from a older C364e driver to a new C458 driver can also corrupt the driver and I usually recommend old drivers arre deleted before proceeding with a new driver install. MAC is a little different as there is no way to auto obtain all of the device info..Accessories, , HDD, ect must be added along with authentication settings. Unlike Windows, there is no ecrypted communication between the MAC and the machine..In windows, if the driver is wrong or out of date it will not communicate as the passphrase is wrong. Hope some of this helps. E

AnITGuy
12-13-2019, 05:20 PM
Hihi, try off the " print without auth "......

Thanks for the suggestion jwai, our other environment does not have Apple devices, and this was the only difference between our sites in the end! That did fix the Windows PC's, but it seems the Apple devices in our environment have forced us to change routes.

In multiple programs, the User Authentication pop-up will not occur and so it fails to print. This is the case in Preview, Google Chrome, and the generic OSX printer prompt. The only place they were able to print in color was by using Microsoft Word, which offers the dropdown "Output" option and prompts for the credentials when you enable to feature. Other programs have a check box for Authenticate Users, but there is no prompt with it so it always prints in black and white.

As a result of the functions of the Mac's, I have implemented another way of getting the job done. I have setup the printer driver to default to Gray scale printing. If a user needs to print in color they will need to update the Printer Preferences and change it to Auto Color. This doesn't stop users from printing in color like originally intended, but it should offset a lot of the color printing that would otherwise happen.

Thank you!
~S

AnITGuy
12-13-2019, 05:28 PM
Selection of the correct driver is critical here..You should not have to "enable" any of the user authentication settings in the driver. The driver must pull these settings from the MFP. If it cannot, the very least will be color jobs "deleted due to log in error". KMs latest drivers are a package deal, 1 download pretty much covers all the new B&W or Color drivers, however they are not universal. When the driver pops up the dialog box asking for which printer to use ( the list should show C368/C558.C759 ect) each selection is for the family ie C368 would cover the C258, C308 and C368. Within the driver properties is a configure tab (windows driver). It should show all of the options and paper sizes ect..when you "obtain device info" any changes like authentication, new users, should auto update. if you get an error you may as well stop trying. These communication failures are usually caused by the wrong IP or printer port type, a mis matched driver family (using C368 for C558), or changes to your SNMP community names. Updating from a older C364e driver to a new C458 driver can also corrupt the driver and I usually recommend old drivers arre deleted before proceeding with a new driver install. MAC is a little different as there is no way to auto obtain all of the device info..Accessories, , HDD, ect must be added along with authentication settings. Unlike Windows, there is no ecrypted communication between the MAC and the machine..In windows, if the driver is wrong or out of date it will not communicate as the passphrase is wrong. Hope some of this helps. E

When I selected the driver for the copiers, I downloaded the ones the technician who initially installed the machine suggested. I also confirmed with him that I was using the correct drivers before I enabled them on the copier. Like you said the Obtain device info failed so there must be an underlying problem with either the driver or perhaps our SNMP names. The route I took changes this, but when they leave for their break, I am going to try to implement what you have outlined above. I curious if I am able to get the information from the printer using the Obtain button if it would work better. Currently everything is deployed with Group Policies so it's a pain getting users to reboot to fix the issues as I fix them. I am also curious if it is an out of date driver because when I tried to upgrade the C458 driver is didn't seem to change anything as far as driver dates were concerned even though the driver, I believe, was from December of this year. Doing the MFP from the printer driver was a hail mary on my part since I didn't know it was listed in that area, and I read about it in the forums.

Thank you for your help, I have a feeling you are on the right track with this issue.

~S

emujo2
12-13-2019, 07:39 PM
Just to add more to your plate...

The new McIntosh system update to operating system Catalina 10. 1. 5 is causing major compatibility issues. The new operating system no longer recognizes any 32-bit programs, including all of the Konica drivers for Emperon controllers. There is no work around at this time, and SSD said that there will be a new driver available by the end of January. The upgrade to EFI for their new 6.4 operating system with 64-bit drivers is required with this new upgrade. At this point, there is no known fix for the machines equipped only with an Emperon controller. E

AnITGuy
12-13-2019, 08:10 PM
Just to add more to your plate...

The new McIntosh system update to operating system Catalina 10. 1. 5 is causing major compatibility issues. The new operating system no longer recognizes any 32-bit programs, including all of the Konica drivers for Emperon controllers. There is no work around at this time, and SSD said that there will be a new driver available by the end of January. The upgrade to EFI for their new 6.4 operating system with 64-bit drivers is required with this new upgrade. At this point, there is no known fix for the machines equipped only with an Emperon controller. E

We ran into the same issue on one computer here. Every 32 bit app (Microsoft office....:eek:) stopped worked and wouldn't let you uninstall it either. We are sticking with Mojave 10.14 for now until we absolutely have to change. Thanks for looking out!

~S

Custom Search