PDA

View Full Version : Canon C650/700 vs Ricoh ProC901S vs ??

Custom Search

unwork_inc
12-13-2019, 07:16 PM
I'm looking into buying either a Canon C650/700 or a Ricoh ProC901S. Are there any significant pros and cons between both models? Any reason why I should favor one over the other?

I run a small, private print studio so I'm looking into buying a digital color press with a footprint no larger than these two models. Being tied to a lease or service contract won't work for me because I won't be doing large commercial work, so I need to be able to maintain it myself and have easy access to supplies and parts.

I've own several Oki C9650/9800 and I'm satisfied with their quality and ease of maintenance. I am now ready to upgrade to a better machine but I wouldn't want to lose the ease of maintenance and parts/supplies accessibility of the Oki.

Also, if anyone can recommend similar machines please let me know.

Thanks in advance
Mariano

slimslob
12-16-2019, 12:48 AM
The Canons are considered high speed office copiers.

The Ricoh is a production printing system.

As a plus for the Pro C901S, it is a 90 ppm machine versus 65 for the C650n and 70 for the C700. It also has more up stream and down stream options such as high capacity input trays, stacking units, multi fold unit and finishers.

As a minus the Pro C901S was introduced 11 years ago.

unwork_inc
12-16-2019, 04:56 PM
Thank you for your reply to my post.

I wonder why the Canons are considered large office copiers and not production printers? Is it because of slower speeds? Or more maintenance needed?
I've seen test prints from C650/700 on different papers and, while the image resolution seems the same as the Ricoh, I've noticed a slightly better finishing, where the Canon toner sits more 'flat' on the page, better respecting the texture and finish of the paper being used, specially on uncoated papers.

slimslob
12-16-2019, 07:13 PM
Thank you for your reply to my post.

I wonder why the Canons are considered large office copiers and not production printers? Is it because of slower speeds? Or more maintenance needed?
I've seen test prints from C650/700 on different papers and, while the image resolution seems the same as the Ricoh, I've noticed a slightly better finishing, where the Canon toner sits more 'flat' on the page, better respecting the texture and finish of the paper being used, specially on uncoated papers.

It is because of the lack of production type upstream and downstream peripherals.

unwork_inc
12-19-2019, 07:40 PM
That's valuable knowledge.

Other than the marking engine, and perhaps the extra paper feeder, I won't be needing any other peripherals, so I'll consider the Canons.
My main needs are being able to achieve a non-glossy finish similar to offset printing, and being able to print on sheets larger than 19", at least 26" long.

Custom Search