PDA

View Full Version : C-1105 on FS-534 in Filthy Environment

Custom Search

srvctec
12-19-2019, 08:37 PM
This post is just an FYI. We have a 287 in the dirtiest environment I've ever seen in my 31 years servicing copiers and I've seen some REALLY dirty environments over the years. The C-1105 code first appeared on this machine after it was in their office for about a year and a half. I cleaned the sensors and put the belt back on and it lasted for another 4 months before coding again. Each time, the belt comes off the drive gear for the eject assy. It comes off because so much gritty dirt gets in the tracks, the arm assy. just gets stuck coming up on the back side. The only fix is to clean the 4 tracks involved as good as possible (I use long wooden shafted cotton swabs), including around the u-turn at the back where it gets stuck. Then lube the tiny white rollers and pivot points on each side. I've gotten this fix to last a year and that's about the best that can be expected in the environment it's in.

Since pictures are worth a thousand words, here is one I cobbled together on my phone after going on this call with the same code a year after the last time.

https://i.imgur.com/f9FM2ET.jpg

Toxic
12-19-2019, 08:47 PM
I have seen dirty environments but this is really something special.
Where is this machine,in some stonepit? :D

srvctec
12-19-2019, 08:53 PM
It's in the shipping office of a galvanizing plant. It's open to the plant and outdoors probably 30-40% of the time. It is something special. :rolleyes::D I usually have to wash my coat or jacket when i get home (in the winter) just because there is no clean surface to put it on. I have to leave the cleaning rag out of my toolbox just so I can clean the outside of it so I don't get dirt all over my pants on the way out.

Bix
12-19-2019, 09:27 PM
thanks for sharing!

blackcat4866
12-19-2019, 11:42 PM
Thanks for sharing!

I used to have Canon faxes in an iron foundry. These were the only Canons I ever worked on with black covers, and black everything else. And everything in the office was black too. In my naivete, on the first visit I scrubbed all the covers to get the beige back. Before I'd left it was mostly black again. =^..^=

tech51
12-20-2019, 05:55 PM
Worst one I had was in a factory that made disc brake pads.

You could literally taste the dust when you walked in and the stuff stuck to your skin and was a pain to clean off.

I can only guess that the life expectancy of the workers there was quite low as I never saw any of them wear a face mask, ever!

907tec
12-20-2019, 08:41 PM
Looks about identical to the ones I have out at a remote mine in Alaska. Thankfully, I don't have any more "underground" machines, but the ones located in the Ball Mill look exactly like yours. It's bad enough that I won't sell them a brand new machine, because it's too cruel to place a pristine device in such an environment.

setfree40
05-21-2021, 04:39 PM
Having the same issue. I know this is an old post, but I've been having the same error code, same finisher, on a c368, and you guessed it, a dirty location, a 2nd floor office area inside a refinery plant. I'm glad to have found this post, however, this ejector piece came off one of the belts and after trying to put it back on, I've had to order the torsion coil spring for it. Should I just go ahead and replace the entire Ejector Unit (p/n: A3EPPPDE04)?

emujo2
05-21-2021, 05:33 PM

I got you beat..this is a phosphate mine..This is a machine inside a building..People work here without and breathing protection..The acid in the air condenses to a powder, gets sucked into machine..You can write you freaking name in this..The acid also corrodes board contacts. And this is only 1 of 1/2 dozen machines subjected to this..When my tech sent me these I was like "are these outside the building". I don't rememebr the exact name of the chemical, but it's used in fire extinguishers, except on airplanes because it will eat aluminum frames..

Synthohol
05-21-2021, 06:10 PM
Having the same issue. I know this is an old post, but I've been having the same error code, same finisher, on a c368, and you guessed it, a dirty location, a 2nd floor office area inside a refinery plant. I'm glad to have found this post, however, this ejector piece came off one of the belts and after trying to put it back on, I've had to order the torsion coil spring for it. Should I just go ahead and replace the entire Ejector Unit (p/n: A3EPPPDE04)?

I'd replace the whole ejector unit, pita but saves a callback next week.

setfree40
05-21-2021, 07:53 PM
Thank you. Apart from the directions listed above, what else needs to be removed to get the old ejector unit out? From what I can see in the parts manual, there are two screws holdkng it in, but the service manual doesn't show much on how to remove it.

I'd replace the whole ejector unit, pita but saves a callback next week.

Synthohol
05-21-2021, 08:25 PM
IMHO it's a 2 person job because if one person stretches the frame sides open you can fit it in much easier.
Not sure if there is a video out there about it but it's a pain.
The newer finishers for the 8 and 9 series are easier but the ones for the 4 series suck my spherical baby makers.
Good luck and if you have a scrap finisher to try it on first just to see what's involved in the removal you will have more confidence attacking the real one.

blackcat4866
05-21-2021, 11:42 PM

Depending on how old your finisher is, there have been no less than (8) updates to the ejector unit. Definitely replace the assembly. Also consider replacing the motors and snap-on timing wheels. Those have been changed too. =^..^=

Hansoon
05-22-2021, 05:30 AM

I got you beat..this is a phosphate mine..This is a machine inside a building..People work here without and breathing protection..The acid in the air condenses to a powder, gets sucked into machine..You can write you freaking name in this..The acid also corrodes board contacts. And this is only 1 of 1/2 dozen machines subjected to this..When my tech sent me these I was like "are these outside the building". I don't rememebr the exact name of the chemical, but it's used in fire extinguishers, except on airplanes because it will eat aluminum frames..

Off Topic
Yes, that's why I had to replace in 3 workstations in my office the power units. My wife managed to set her room in the office on fire (PLEASE don't ask, but she is a smoker) I used the fire extinguisher and the green-greyish powder went all over the place. The fan of the power units sucked in that very corrosive stuff and within 10 days those 3 units went down.

Hans

setfree40
05-27-2021, 07:42 PM
Another technician came over and we managed to get it done within an hour. Thanks for your help everybody.

Depending on how old your finisher is, there have been no less than (8) updates to the ejector unit. Definitely replace the assembly. Also consider replacing the motors and snap-on timing wheels. Those have been changed too. =^..^=

Custom Search