PDA

View Full Version : USB Local Printer

Custom Search

dannu
01-03-2020, 01:59 PM
Hello! I would have a problem having 1 USB printer (Lexmark Mx823 or Minolta C258) connected to 1 computer. The pc internet has but 1 ethernet port. Is there a solution to read counter via USB? I found "https://printcounters.com/" but USB doesn't work just blinks minolta.

Anyone else idea?

qbert69
01-03-2020, 02:01 PM
Hello! I would have a problem having 1 USB printer (Lexmark Mx823 or Minolta C258) connected to 1 computer. The pc internet has but 1 ethernet port. Is there a solution to read counter via USB? I found "https://printcounters.com/" but USB doesn't work just blinks minolta.

Anyone else idea?Add a 5 port network switch & 3 short ethernet cables. Configure appropriately. [emoji41][emoji1303]

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

dannu
01-03-2020, 02:19 PM
Add a 5 port network switch & 3 short ethernet cables. Configure appropriately. [emoji41][emoji1303]

Tooooooo easy , its ver very security and danger zonne and zombie error and omg ..... :(

Too easy

qbert69
01-03-2020, 02:42 PM
Tooooooo easy , its ver very security and danger zonne and zombie error and omg ..... :(

Too easyWhiskey Tango Foxtrot???[emoji848]

mo0651
01-03-2020, 02:44 PM
TOOO HARD TO GO TO c258 AND TOUCH "MENU" "COUNTER" and read???:confused:

qbert69
01-03-2020, 02:47 PM

Too easyAre you talking about some kind of security risk???[emoji848]

dannu
01-03-2020, 03:33 PM
TOOO HARD TO GO TO c258 AND TOUCH "MENU" "COUNTER" and read???:confused:

Customers are lazy ....

dannu
01-03-2020, 03:37 PM
Are you talking about some kind of security risk???[emoji848]

There is no proper network in the building. Each office has 1 ethernet port, no other device should be used.Thirty printers will be installed. A3 and A4.There is no proper network in the building. Each office has 1 ethernet port, no other device should be used.

copier addict
01-03-2020, 04:07 PM
There is no proper network in the building. Each office has 1 ethernet port, no other device should be used.Thirty printers will be installed. A3 and A4.There is no proper network in the building. Each office has 1 ethernet port, no other device should be used.

Are you trying to say you are not allowed, by the customer, to install a network switch?

tsbservice
01-03-2020, 04:56 PM
If this group of paranoics won't let you install anything how you imagine they would agree to install software collecting counters and sending them outside :confused:

qbert69
01-03-2020, 05:34 PM
There is no proper network in the building. Each office has 1 ethernet port, no other device should be used.Thirty printers will be installed. A3 and A4.There is no proper network in the building. Each office has 1 ethernet port, no other device should be used.QUESTION: What do you define a "proper" network to be in your own understanding???[emoji848]
Goal, Perception, Expectation...define each. Communicate with the customer. Give them an ultimatum that they need to respond to. [emoji41][emoji1303]

emujo2
01-03-2020, 08:00 PM
We had a problem similar to this some time ago..We replaced one vendor with KM products. Someone did not do their research and it was discovered that the customer's security team would not allow the printers to be placed on the network, only local USB connections. The problem was the old machince gave some kind of user interface via USB, the KMs did not. We would up installing USB to ethernet adaptors. USB on the PC side, Cat 6 cable to to MFP..Configured the adaptor and machine with mactching IP schemas and 'viola" probelm solved. ( we had to eat the cost of the adaptors).

qbert69
01-03-2020, 08:34 PM
We had a problem similar to this some time ago..We replaced one vendor with KM products. Someone did not do their research and it was discovered that the customer's security team would not allow the printers to be placed on the network, only local USB connections. The problem was the old machince gave some kind of user interface via USB, the KMs did not. We would up installing USB to ethernet adaptors. USB on the PC side, Cat 6 cable to to MFP..Configured the adaptor and machine with mactching IP schemas and 'viola" probelm solved. ( we had to eat the cost of the adaptors).I have never figured out why a printer/mfp would be a "security risk" and as usually configured, operates on the LAN behind a firewall!!! Only way to get in from outside is if the IP:port was pinholed!!! Now if the threat was from the inside, it would be from one of the pc's scanning open ports of devices to try & exploit!!![emoji15]

copier tech
01-03-2020, 08:54 PM

You have 30 printers at this site? & you need ALL users to ONLY print via USB!? How many users in this building!?

You need to sit down with their IT dept & have a serious chat about setting up a network even an Intranet if they are worried about security.

qbert69
01-03-2020, 09:11 PM
You have 30 printers at this site? & you need ALL users to ONLY print via USB!? How many users in this building!?

You need to sit down with their IT dept & have a serious chat about setting up a network even an Intranet if they are worried about security.Just from the info gathered, it almost sounds like a rental office situation where every office cubicle is rented out by a broker or....a bookie...just to keep things private and separated!!![emoji2958]

emujo2
01-03-2020, 09:13 PM
I have never figured out why a printer/mfp would be a "security risk" and as usually configured, operates on the LAN behind a firewall!!! Only way to get in from outside is if the IP:port was pinholed!!! Now if the threat was from the inside, it would be from one of the pc's scanning open ports of devices to try & exploit!!![emoji15]

Tell that to one of my customers (large college campus with 100s of MFPs) that came in over the weekend and found some hacker had tunneled in through port 25 and had every MFP run print jobs until paper was depleted. In some cases, the users saw the flashing add paper message and reloaded..I'm not saying that you can use the copier to launch a nuclear weapon strike, but some of those older machines def had weaknesses. All you need is some SMB password to be stored in clear text, and you have a entry onto the system. E

qbert69
01-03-2020, 09:19 PM
Tell that to one of my customers (large college campus with 100s of MFPs) that came in over the weekend and found some hacker had tunneled in through port 25 and had every MFP run print jobs until paper was depleted. In some cases, the users saw the flashing add paper message and reloaded..I'm not saying that you can use the copier to launch a nuclear weapon strike, but some of those older machines def had weaknesses. All you need is some SMB password to be stored in clear text, and you have a entry onto the system. EApparently that was before IP range filtering!!![emoji23][emoji1787][emoji38]....and port 25, isn't that smtp no authentication?![emoji23][emoji1787][emoji38]

emujo2
01-03-2020, 09:26 PM
Apparently that was before IP range filtering!!![emoji23][emoji1787][emoji38]....and port 25, isn't that smtp no authentication?![emoji23][emoji1787][emoji38]

Yes, this was the customers preferred method of scanning..Internal only port 25, no authentication..There was also some fault to the local IT for allowing this. E

mo0651
01-03-2020, 10:53 PM
What a waste of time!!! no one in right mind mind would connect a C258 to one user via usb. Unless in a house by themselves. Usb only good for like 16 feet away. You can see the
OP Panel from there and tell if it is low on toner!!;);););)
Most cheap ink jets have a part of the software that shows POP UPS with low ink levels.:cool:
Big price difference between the 2 models you have listed in opening post.

KenB
01-03-2020, 11:29 PM
Some years back I had a Ricoh MP 161 in a state office.

Their policy was that no printer was to have a network connection, USB or parallel connections only. The machine was connected USB to one workstation, and was a shared printer for the other 3 or 4 workstations near it which were given access to print.

Every few weeks or so for about 6 months they kept calling us to set it up as a scanner, and each time I had to explain that it was no banana until they granted network access. That model did not have Scan to USB capabilities.

I even suggested a second NIC in the host PC with a crossover cable, but the buttweed IT guy was having none of it.

D_L_P
01-03-2020, 11:42 PM

Anyone else idea?

Those spam bots must be getting better. That post almost made sense.

qbert69
01-03-2020, 11:46 PM
Those spam bots must be getting better. That post almost made sense.Dippy Dannu Disappeared off the Radar!!![emoji38][emoji23][emoji1787]

dannu
01-04-2020, 06:17 PM
Dippy Dannu Disappeared off the Radar!!![emoji38][emoji23][emoji1787]

I'm here. I live in Hungary. People are very stupid here. I know a simple solution would be 30 pieces of 5 prot swich.

dannu
01-04-2020, 06:19 PM
QUESTION: What do you define a "proper" network to be in your own understanding???[emoji848]
Goal, Perception, Expectation...define each. Communicate with the customer. Give them an ultimatum that they need to respond to. [emoji41][emoji1303]

There are several ethernet ports in one office per network.

dannu
01-04-2020, 06:21 PM

You need to sit down with their IT dept & have a serious chat about setting up a network even an Intranet if they are worried about security.
This is a hospital. One doctor, one computer, one utp connector. This is Hungary's stupid paradise.

habik
01-04-2020, 07:18 PM
This is a hospital. One doctor, one computer, one utp connector. This is Hungary's stupid paradise.What a great opportunity to sell them HDD SECURITY package.

4 port Switch cost can be swallowed in the HDD SECURITY package. There you can have them being lazy and they can read the counter from the pagescope connection or set them up to email the readings..

Sent from portable device using fast cheapset!

Custom Search