PDA

View Full Version : Toner smear,lines on prints..Help!!!

Custom Search

funkyhead
01-07-2020, 07:58 PM
Hi All,

Great Fan of this site as always been,

Attached are the images of my issues with the printer.
Its a konica C258,with page count of 62352,
Drum Average of 55%

Machine had been printing good. but couple of days now have been facing the yellow toner smear problem. started with a toner change, tried with changing the toner cartridge head as well.
but have no relief.

Kindly help with your invaluable suggestions,guidance,knowledge.

Thank you
Regards,
Gautam

tsbservice
01-07-2020, 08:19 PM
Time to step up and from great fan befome Contributor ;)
As Contributors tend to pull the best from experts here.
Just saying...

Phil B.
01-07-2020, 08:20 PM
Hi All,

Great Fan of this site as always been,

Attached are the images of my issues with the printer.
Its a konica C258,with page count of 62352,
Drum Average of 55%

Machine had been printing good. but couple of days now have been facing the yellow toner smear problem. started with a toner change, tried with changing the toner cartridge head as well.
but have no relief.

Kindly help with your invaluable suggestions,guidance,knowledge.

Thank you
Regards,
Gautam

what is " the toner cartridge head "?

have you got the page counts on ALL supplies?

when were they install?

how long have you had it?

sometimes life % isn't that reliable due to age of the parts.

how about uploading examples of the issue?

are you an end user?

copier addict
01-07-2020, 08:30 PM
Is the paper being fed LEF or SEF?

funkyhead
01-07-2020, 08:35 PM
what is " the toner cartridge head "?

have you got the page counts on ALL supplies?

when were they install?

how long have you had it?

sometimes life % isn't that reliable due to age of the parts.

how about uploading examples of the issue?

are you an end user?

Yes i am an end user..toner head is the black cap,which could have been faulty and a reason fro toner smear.
will upload the rest of details tomrw.
thank you for the reply Phil

funkyhead
01-07-2020, 08:37 PM
Yes i am an end user..toner head is the black cap,which could have been faulty and a reason fro toner smear.
will upload the rest of details tomrw.
thank you for the reply Phil

emujo2
01-07-2020, 08:42 PM
This is a fault with drum, dev, x-fer belt or print head..If you were talking about a 20 year old machine I'd say go for it..but this is pretty new..My advice is to call a certified KM tech..Think you are going to be spending a large amount of money, but this is nothing compared to how badly you can break it trying to DIY..E

funkyhead
01-07-2020, 08:52 PM
This is a fault with drum, dev, x-fer belt or print head..If you were talking about a 20 year old machine I'd say go for it..but this is pretty new..My advice is to call a certified KM tech..Think you are going to be spending a large amount of money, but this is nothing compared to how badly you can break it trying to DIY..E

I dont want to DIY, Just want to understand what might be the problem, have already called for a technician. just dont want to waste a lot of time keeping the machine shut..loosing business.
i am a mechanical engineer by academics. so always thrive for problem solutions and knowledge.
Thanks for the reply.

blackcat4866
01-07-2020, 08:53 PM
Since the yellow bars are through the voids and at about drum interval, I'm going to take a WAG that it fed SEF (short edge feed) and that you've got a primary charge loss situation. Most likely you'll have to replace the yellow imaging unit.

But first: Confirm that this page was printed LTR-R, SEF. =^..^=

funkyhead
01-07-2020, 09:13 PM
Since the yellow bars are through the voids and at about drum interval, I'm going to take a WAG that it fed SEF (short edge feed) and that you've got a primary charge loss situation. Most likely you'll have to replace the yellow imaging unit.

But first: Confirm that this page was printed LTR-R, SEF. =^..^=

its SEF fed

imaging unit? kindly elaborate
thanks for the reply

Phil B.
01-07-2020, 09:26 PM
its SEF fed imaging unit?

image unit = drum/pcdu or what ever is applicable to your unit.

for you... drum

Phil B.
01-07-2020, 09:27 PM
I dont want to DIY, Just want to understand what might be the problem, have already called for a technician. just dont want to waste a lot of time keeping the machine shut..loosing business.
i am a mechanical engineer by academics. so always thrive for problem solutions and knowledge.
Thanks for the reply.

FYI... the 'end caps' on the toner IMHO would NEVER give this type problem. But 31yrs in industry, what do I know?

funkyhead
01-07-2020, 09:32 PM
image unit = drum/pcdu or what ever is applicable to your unit.

for you... drum

can the toner be a problem?
and what about the banding ?or lines?
thanks for the reply

emujo2
01-07-2020, 09:36 PM
You have a color banding (yellow) issue, it could be drum or HVT power supply. less chance of a developer issue based on your samples. Your tech will put the machine in service mode and start printing out test jobs to narrow down the fault..Don't know how old your machine is, but ensure you hear that vacuum running, clogged toner filters can cause issues on this series, but it does look a discharge issue, meaning the drum charge is being fully dissipated in one area as the drum turns resulting in incorrect toner attraction. New machines are modular and the entire drum section will need to be replaced. E

tsbservice
01-07-2020, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Post consumables life counters and machine counter. From what you described qualified tech should fix it in first visit.

funkyhead
01-07-2020, 09:38 PM
FYI... the 'end caps' on the toner IMHO would NEVER give this type problem. But 31yrs in industry, what do I know?

No questions about ur knowledge..my friend..
im here for the same.

its just that i had read that toner smear can happen due to a faulty toner cartridge..
so had tried that..

and im very lucky that ur sharing ur advices to me Phil..with 31 yr in the industry..i dont seem to know any1 personally here Phil with that amount of experience.

funkyhead
01-07-2020, 09:48 PM
Time to step up and from great fan befome Contributor ;)
As Contributors tend to pull the best from experts here.
Just saying...
Will definitely become a contributor..right now i dont know what im looking at(Cost)
and i would definitely contribute to the site. theres loads that i can learn from the guys around.
iam tensed rgt now.and its IST 3.18am ..and u can understand.

blackcat4866
01-07-2020, 11:13 PM
When primary charge is lost, you get bands crossfeed all the way to the edges of the paper ... no primary charge means that a portion of the drum surface is entirely developer with toner, in this case yellow, then transferred to the paper. No toner cartridge would have anything to do with that.

Flash
01-07-2020, 11:25 PM
Swop the yellow drum with the magenta drum and see if you smears change colors.

tsbservice
01-08-2020, 06:04 AM
Swop the yellow drum with the magenta drum and see if you smears change colors.

Agree, that was my initial thought. Just wanted to see who's the guy to cross finish line first 🥇🏆😄

funkyhead
01-08-2020, 06:48 PM
hi Guys,

Update:
The Konica Technician visited today, confirmed failure of Drum blade,PCR(charge roller) and drum.
he suggested for replacement of these 3 parts but iam considering to replace the entire drum unit.
kindly suggest which would be better.

Thank you all for the support.

Regards.

copier addict
01-08-2020, 06:57 PM
hi Guys,

Update:
The Konica Technician visited today, confirmed failure of Drum blade,PCR(charge roller) and drum.
he suggested for replacement of these 3 parts but iam considering to replace the entire drum unit.

Regards.

As a tech who works on this model, I would suggest replacing the drum unit with OEM part. Part number A7U40TD.
Just my opinion, I'm sure there will be differing ones.

funkyhead
01-08-2020, 07:02 PM
As a tech who works on this model, I would suggest replacing the drum unit with OEM part. Part number A7U40TD.
Just my opinion, I'm sure there will be differing ones.

Thank u for ur valuable advice.

tsbservice
01-08-2020, 07:04 PM
Kick him in the but* and purchase original drum UNIT. User replacement by design.
Please consider becoming Contributor as many wonderful techs won't be here to help you and others without CTN.

funkyhead
01-08-2020, 07:24 PM
Kick him in the but* and purchase original drum UNIT. User replacement by design.
Please consider becoming Contributor as many wonderful techs won't be here to help you and others without CTN.
;) will try the next time he visits...
and definitely will become one as soon as my financials are sorted out.
Thanks for the reply.

emujo2
01-08-2020, 07:51 PM
hi Guys,

Update:

Regards.

I would get a 2nd opinion. There's no way a drum and/or blade failure would look like this..Those thick heavy yellow lines would be completely around the drum, or you would have different spaced lines if the blade was failing..Additionally, the blade and drum are not available as individual items. I'm not sure about the "PCR" roller..2nd transfer would cause issues with all 4 colors, and if it's a transfer belt roller he's talking about, this also not available as a individual part. If he tells you that the left handed smoke sifter needs to be replaced show him the door. You can probably find a drum unit on Ebay and put this in yourself. maybe you can post the part numbers of these "parts" ...E

copier addict
01-08-2020, 08:06 PM
I would get a 2nd opinion. There's no way a drum and/or blade failure would look like this..Those thick heavy yellow lines would be completely around the drum, or you would have different spaced lines if the blade was failing..Additionally, the blade and drum are not available as individual items. I'm not sure about the "PCR" roller..2nd transfer would cause issues with all 4 colors, and if it's a transfer belt roller he's talking about, this also not available as a individual part. If he tells you that the left handed smoke sifter needs to be replaced show him the door. You can probably find a drum unit on Ebay and put this in yourself. maybe you can post the part numbers of these "parts" ...E

He never really said but I'm pretty sure the samples were fed LEF. My mistake, he did state it SEF

tsbservice
01-08-2020, 08:15 PM

Drum should be shorting PCR charge(main corotron/wire/roller) at some worn spot to see that fault at drum circumference distance.

Don N.
01-09-2020, 05:07 AM
Funkyhead- Why not swap the y & m drums and reported back? Takes under a min. Problem should change to M lines if it was the original Y drum. Any color drum can go in any position to troubleshoot. Only the K drum is chipped different.
It's possible the tech was an independent.... guys, remember those? They may have suggested an uber cheap way of fixing it like isolating it down to the charge or cleaning roller or drum inside of the drum ctg., esp. if the tech has like 2 calls to do all day, or wants to milk the call into 2 hrs labor. I say the cost of labor doing that in the field is way more than slapping a completely r/b drum in & pitch the old one. We r/b all of our drums in the shop so we can just install quickly, at half the cost/twice the profit of OEM.

Bix
01-09-2020, 08:39 AM
Hi, a question that may sound silly: is the toner original?
The problem is that if you don't use it, you may have several drum failures, unusual fuser wear, transfer belt and more.

Even the drum tries to replace it with an original one. If you don't, you will initially think about saving but then you will have to pay to solve problems like this.

Don N.
01-09-2020, 02:05 PM
Hi, a question that may sound silly: is the toner original?
The problem is that if you don't use it, you may have several drum failures, unusual fuser wear, transfer belt and more.

Even the drum tries to replace it with an original one. If you don't, you will initially think about saving but then you will have to pay to solve problems like this.

Why do you assume a non original drum will cause problems? If you don't r/f them or use them yourself, that's fine. When it's your dollar, all year long x hundreds of drums, or you're saving the customer's dollar, you may think again. I can stand behind our rebuilds bc we have done many hundreds of them with maybe 1% higher fail rate. Meanwhile we've saved customers hundreds over their machine's life and saved us thousands. Quality control is the only point and you seem to think the OEM has a monopoly on that. Monopolies have backorders and charge what they want.
Never stop thinking independently, even if you don't feel the economic impact. This is just my 30 years of finding a way to serve my customers best and save.make money. Every customer is different so there's no right or wrong. There's just options.

Bix
01-09-2020, 03:35 PM
It really depends a lot on the brand.

For example, with Ricoh printers I have always managed to use third-party parts without having many problems but with KM, every time I used non-original toner or non-original consumables, the customer called me more often.

afterhours
01-09-2020, 10:54 PM
Drum unit will fix it. You can purchase a after market drum, charge grid, and blade. This will fix it. The quality and durability will not be as good as oem, i suggest oem.

You will need a descent Tech to do the install with aftermarket which will cost more money. With oem, you can install yourself and do gradation adjustments through administrator mode.

Don N.
01-10-2020, 12:03 AM
Drum unit will fix it. You can purchase a after market drum, charge grid, and blade. This will fix it. The quality and durability will not be as good as oem, i suggest oem.

You will need a descent Tech to do the install with aftermarket which will cost more money. With oem, you can install yourself and do gradation adjustments through administrator mode.

Sorry for this rant but... some of us could use the business instead of sending end users to ebay.
There's no charge grid on an 8 series.
We're getting the same performance out of our refurbs as OEM.
If a customer wants to buy a refurbished drum from us and install it themselves, they can. It's the exact same install. At least they will have a limited parts warranty because we stand behind our product. They will have exactly squat for warranty if they install an OEM drum.
If you're going to bash aftermarket parts or independents, at least know the machine and quit assuming anything other than OEM is inferior. Countless times we do things different than the OEM and get a better result. If it weren't true we wouldn't keep our customers for 20~30 years, buying machines every 8 or 10 or 12 years instead of every 3 like the authorized dealers have them doing. It's not that hard keeping 3 year old machines running when you have a warehouse full of new parts that cost the tech nothing. Try troubleshooting problems only 12+ years of heat, dirt, wear and aging bring, and fixing them with parts from related models and aftermarket sources instead of saying sorry parts are n/l/a you'll have to buy a new machine. Oh, and firmware doesn't fix everything.

afterhours
01-10-2020, 01:26 AM
Geez man. Relax. Clearly you have a biased agenda. I'm just a tech giving an opinion based on 22 years of experience. Maybe your right. Maybe You have the 1 after market drum unit that is equally as good as oem. It doesnt matter to me one bit. I'm just answering a question. I'm done with this nonsense.

funkyhead
01-13-2020, 07:46 PM
Hi Guys,

Update:
Changed the drum unit today. (toner smear problem solved)
i myself installed the new unit.didnt wait for the tech as he was buys with calls.

But the lines on prints are very evident. can u pls help me solve this?

Thank you for ur support..

funkyhead
01-13-2020, 07:51 PM
He never really said but I'm pretty sure the samples were fed LEF. My mistake, he did state it SEF
it is SEF..the paper i mostly use is 12"x18"

blackcat4866
01-14-2020, 12:03 AM
Did you wand the laser slit glasses, then do the color calibrations? =^..^=

Hansoon
01-14-2020, 06:56 AM
Sorry for this rant but... some of us could use the business instead of sending end users to ebay.
There's no charge grid on an 8 series.
We're getting the same performance out of our refurbs as OEM.
If a customer wants to buy a refurbished drum from us and install it themselves, they can. It's the exact same install. At least they will have a limited parts warranty because we stand behind our product. They will have exactly squat for warranty if they install an OEM drum.
If you're going to bash aftermarket parts or independents, at least know the machine and quit assuming anything other than OEM is inferior. Countless times we do things different than the OEM and get a better result. If it weren't true we wouldn't keep our customers for 20~30 years, buying machines every 8 or 10 or 12 years instead of every 3 like the authorized dealers have them doing. It's not that hard keeping 3 year old machines running when you have a warehouse full of new parts that cost the tech nothing. Try troubleshooting problems only 12+ years of heat, dirt, wear and aging bring, and fixing them with parts from related models and aftermarket sources instead of saying sorry parts are n/l/a you'll have to buy a new machine. Oh, and firmware doesn't fix everything.

These could be my words. I would love to grab OEM parts as long as the company is healthy and te boss pays, but being an Indy it needs a different approach.

Thanks Don.

Hans

funkyhead
01-14-2020, 10:07 AM
Hi Guys,

Update:
Finally after all these days, printer is back to normal. Finally Repaired...
Cleaning of laser and drum unit changed.
Next there is some damage on the IBT Belt. will replace that too soon. and a full service is need of the hour.

Thanks for all the love and support from all of you.. Appreciate that..

Custom Search