PDA

View Full Version : KM 601

Custom Search

selmila
01-14-2020, 06:31 AM
Hi
I have replaced new developer but after 5k prints excess toner is getting added in the devloper, toner is getting accumulated under the magnetic roller. Black background on copy/ print . any suggestions???

Toxic
01-14-2020, 09:46 AM
Did you reset developer and replace drum together with developer?
Bad drum can cause this.
Toner OEM?

wjurls
01-14-2020, 09:02 PM
Bizhub 601 is a notorious notorious dumper. Only use OEM supplies in this model. Even then you will still get some toner dribbling down. Really nothing you can do about it. Make sure you replace the developing suction filter on the side. If it's clogged the problem will be much worse.

This is an old model so I would suggest replacing it.

Lee

selmila
01-15-2020, 02:49 PM
Bizhub 601 is a notorious notorious dumper. Only use OEM supplies in this model. Even then you will still get some toner dribbling down. Really nothing you can do about it. Make sure you replace the developing suction filter on the side. If it's clogged the problem will be much worse.

This is an old model so I would suggest replacing it.

Lee

Thank you for your reply Lee!

Yes the drum and devloper is KM original parts but still I see toner dribbing down :mad :(

Synthohol
01-15-2020, 10:08 PM
hey, the 601 i believe the charge grid voltage has to be set to the voltage stamped on the rear flange of the drum.
this requires a meter that does up to 800V.
if you dont have one you cant service the machine properly.
then run the LD1 and LD2 adj so just a faint box appears between the lines of the test sheet.
failure to set the proper voltage is a huge no-no.

selmila
01-15-2020, 10:19 PM
hey, the 601 i believe the charge grid voltage has to be set to the voltage stamped on the rear flange of the drum.
this requires a meter that does up to 800V.
if you dont have one you cant service the machine properly.
then run the LD1 and LD2 adj so just a faint box appears between the lines of the test sheet.
failure to set the proper voltage is a huge no-no.

Any procedure to set the voltage?

Synthohol
01-16-2020, 02:08 AM
its been in the service manual for over 10 years.

copyman
01-16-2020, 03:11 AM
Did you do the peculiarity adjustments in service manual after replacing drum & dev? There are like 10 peculiarity adjustments that have to be done in "proper order"

When is last time 250k maint kit was installed?

Like the other posters said this model was a toner dumping PIG! Main reason is one of the biggest design flaws in copier history, recycling waste toner! Contaminates developer with paper dust, etc. than crashes developer. Not saying this is your problem with only running 5k but something to keep an eye on in future. If you vacuum waste toner out of drum cleaning unit and recycling tube on regualr basis you will get the full life out of developer.

I finally replaced the last 601 a few years back. On a side note, this is the only model I've sold that cost me losing a major account. Customer bought two brand new 601's (only option at that time) and they were bad right out of the box. After Kon/Min OEM rep got them working decent they still were never right. I was there for jamming one or two times per week! Ricoh came in and unhooked the account from me!

Not worth the aggravation when you can replace with a B&W Biz 654e or even 554e, you can buy off lease with LOW meter for around $1,000, sell to customer for $3,000 - $4,000 and they will love you with all the money saved. One thing with newer Bizhubs, when you sell to a customer they will buy from you again in 5 years. Once they see the reliability and what's saved on service & consumables why would they go with anything else!

I have a lot of 601 parts taken off machines before sending to scrap yard. Let me know if you need anything

Downunder
01-30-2020, 12:21 AM
2. Change DIP switch 27, bit 0 to 1.
3. Change DIP switch 27, bit 1 to 0.
4. Change DIP switch 27, bits 5 and 6 to 1.
5. Change DIP switch 27, bit 7 to 0 to ensure the recycle clutch turns all of the time.
6. Interlock the front door and verify the recycle unit turns and cannot be easily stopped by hand. If
stopped easily, replace the clutch (p/n 56AA 8202 2) and one-way gear on the rear frame (p/n 56AA R706
00).

Synaux
01-31-2020, 04:05 AM
The 601s are pigs. They will always dribble toner onto the T/S section (another known issue is the locktight on the T/S breaks loose runs into the drum). You might want to check the polyurethane foam seals on the dev unit.
You must follow the Service Manual to a T when performing a PM and/or dev and reset counters.

I recommend performing a PM concurrently with a dev replacement--no exceptions.

What I used to do was keep some 12x18 cardstock sheets behind the machine and run those through a few times to clean up the drum & T/S area and instructed the owners to periodically do the same.

Synaux
01-31-2020, 04:09 AM
2. Change DIP switch 27, bit 0 to 1.
3. Change DIP switch 27, bit 1 to 0.
4. Change DIP switch 27, bits 5 and 6 to 1.
5. Change DIP switch 27, bit 7 to 0 to ensure the recycle clutch turns all of the time.
6. Interlock the front door and verify the recycle unit turns and cannot be easily stopped by hand. If
stopped easily, replace the clutch (p/n 56AA 8202 2) and one-way gear on the rear frame (p/n 56AA R706
00).

These switches can cause more issues if not ensured they fix the issue before leaving the location. (Beware, selmila)

You can bypass the recycle clutch. And yes, the recycle area tends to get clogged.

allan
01-31-2020, 05:54 AM
These switches can cause more issues if not ensured they fix the issue before leaving the location. (Beware, selmila)

You can bypass the recycle clutch. And yes, the recycle area tends to get clogged.

Yes these switches must be set for for different environments base on the type of use.
Takes more than a thousand print to see the result of your tweaking.
But found that the defaults work ok. Had one a week ago that had modified switches and was not adding enough toner, had to change it back for it to function right.
Low volume and low use will result in bad developer life about 50-100K prints. High volume use you can get 250K plus prints.

Just unplug the clutch it needs to be energized to be released. But that also cause issues, on high volumes the clutch system works.
Only on low volumes the toner builds up in the cleaning unit.

There is an issue on the developer tank where there is to much resistance between the dev bias contact and the mag roller thru the bearings.
Easily confirmed with a tester the resistance should be less than 50ohm.
I use a piece of spring wire to run again the mag roller shaft that gets fixed behind a screw on the plate receiving the bias.
That will get the resistance down close to zero, and should stop toner flying off of the roller. But if done with too much tension it will cut the shaft.
Those switches change the speed the mag roller runs at to control density (only Konica could come up with a shitty idea like that).

If you do single shot copies on this machine its not going to be fun. They like to do 150K print or more a month to be happy.

srvctec
01-31-2020, 03:21 PM
Yes these switches must be set for for different environments base on the type of use.
Takes more than a thousand print to see the result of your tweaking.
But found that the defaults work ok. Had one a week ago that had modified switches and was not adding enough toner, had to change it back for it to function right.
Low volume and low use will result in bad developer life about 50-100K prints. High volume use you can get 250K plus prints.

Just unplug the clutch it needs to be energized to be released. But that also cause issues, on high volumes the clutch system works.
Only on low volumes the toner builds up in the cleaning unit.

There is an issue on the developer tank where there is to much resistance between the dev bias contact and the mag roller thru the bearings.
I use a piece of spring wire to run again the mag roller shaft that gets fixed behind a screw on the plate receiving the bias.
That will get the resistance down close to zero, and should stop toner flying off of the roller. But if done with too much tension it will cut the shaft.
Those switches change the speed the mag roller runs at to control density (only Konica could come up with a shitty idea like that).

If you do single shot copies on this machine its not going to be fun. They like to do 150K print or more a month to be happy.

You're spot on with everything. I went so far as to use a bushing (junked from somewhere) with a ground wire soldered to it, installed on the end of the mag roller to keep it grounded. I never could get a spring type grounding solution to last long because it would wear through the spring in no time it seemed. On the other hand, all the machines I put the ground wire bushings on, never had ground issues again. We still have some in the field that I modified years ago. Used the same trick on a 950 as well.

allan
01-31-2020, 04:04 PM
You're spot on with everything. I went so far as to use a bushing (junked from somewhere) with a ground wire soldered to it, installed on the end of the mag roller to keep it grounded. I never could get a spring type grounding solution to last long because it would wear through the spring in no time it seemed. On the other hand, all the machines I put the ground wire bushings on, never had ground issues again. We still have some in the field that I modified years ago. Used the same trick on a 950 as well.

You use one of those brass bushings?
Will give that a try thanks.

These days wondering if i should service them at all.
Will now just get a couple of good ones for the print shop i want to get running.
Know i can get joy from them just not on customers premises any more.

srvctec
01-31-2020, 10:06 PM
You use one of those brass bushings?
Will give that a try thanks.

These days wondering if i should service them at all.
Will now just get a couple of good ones for the print shop i want to get running.
Know i can get joy from them just not on customers premises any more.

Yep, that's exactly what I did. I just rummaged through our stash of old bushings and made a few with ground wires I cut off junk machines near the power cord, using the ring/loop end to attach to the developer ground point (don't even remember exactly where, it's been so many years). It seems like there is a screw underneath that I removed and then put back through the ring end. The bushings I used were brass but of the Oilite variety. I used a small torch to burn out the oil from the bushing before soldering it.

Synaux
02-01-2020, 04:28 AM

I used a paperclip twisted around the shaft to...I have lost the photo, but if I have more energy tomorrow I will dig through my posts and add to this.

I do not recall that explanation in the docs--good stuffs!

[/QUOTE]
When they run, they run. I was very disappointed--in a sense--when everyone seems to have gotten rid of them. Nowadays, Konica seems think it is wise to repurpose color MFPs for mono (aka without the color IUs--basically). I have a handful of clients (I am working in a different field now) that opted for the color versions just for the functionality. Just more unnecessary complications...and arguably weaker engines--in a sense...

Custom Search