PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Ozone Filter Question...

Custom Search

Synaux
01-22-2020, 04:11 AM
Today I was asked to look into a Ozone Filter Replacement error on a c650 (the filter is nearly identical to the c654--mesh is slightly different--c652 is the same too i believe). I advised that as long as there is no smell, a new ozone filter is most likely not worth be worth $50+ and simply reset the counter and blew it out even though it was spotless.

I was asked if washing/rinsing them would be beneficial. I told em I would look into it. These are not the charcoal filters of old, but of metal-honeycomb-like construction. Can these be washed?

Can anyone explain how these actually work?

Thanks!

Other notes:
The c654/2 k drums come with ozone filters, the c650s imaging units do not.

Here is a blast from the past on the subject (everyone seems so happy n shit):
Ozone filters [Archive] - Copytechnet.com (http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-42393.html)

rrrohan
01-22-2020, 06:10 AM
They come with and are replaced same time as K Drum?

Do you have to manually clear the count? If so its possible maybe the last tech that changed the Drum just forgot to reset the counter.
Or your pushing the Drums beyond life expectancy like most of us do on the 754 series

Synaux
01-22-2020, 06:53 AM
They come with and are replaced same time as K Drum?

Do you have to manually clear the count? If so its possible maybe the last tech that changed the Drum just forgot to reset the counter.
Or your pushing the Drums beyond life expectancy like most of us do on the 754 series

Yes manually, it is a c650... there is no tech lol (and they are).

With all due respect, that was not my question. :)

tulintron
01-22-2020, 12:57 PM
In the link you shared, Infiel explains exactly how it works and for what purpose it is there.

with regard to cleaning, I believe there would be no problem washing, because the structure of today's filters is made of aluminum. Layers of aluminum form a mini hive, generating friction in the passage of gas along with toner particles, contaminating the hive pathways until it is clogged.

our cleaning here in the laboratory and only through compressed air. we do this until the air comes out clean on the other side. obviously in a closed place with exhaust system and masks to protect you from impurities.

in the washing system, I see that it would be difficult to clean because the contaminated toner gets too "stuck" inside the filter. already with compressed air, the pressure helps in the removal. who knows the two processes together ...

srvctec
01-22-2020, 03:59 PM
In the link you shared, Infiel explains exactly how it works and for what purpose it is there.

with regard to cleaning, I believe there would be no problem washing, because the structure of today's filters is made of aluminum. Layers of aluminum form a mini hive, generating friction in the passage of gas along with toner particles, contaminating the hive pathways until it is clogged.

our cleaning here in the laboratory and only through compressed air. we do this until the air comes out clean on the other side. obviously in a closed place with exhaust system and masks to protect you from impurities.

in the washing system, I see that it would be difficult to clean because the contaminated toner gets too "stuck" inside the filter. already with compressed air, the pressure helps in the removal. who knows the two processes together ...

I would think washing would not be good because when new, these aluminum o-filters are coated with a flat black substance (I always thought it was a thin coating of charcoal or something similar to absorb the ozone like the filters from the old days) and I would think washing them would remove this coating. This is all just guesswork on my part, though.

Bix
01-22-2020, 04:51 PM
I don't know if it's true but someone told me that piles of toner could form which could form strange marks on the fuser

tulintron
01-22-2020, 07:54 PM
I would think washing would not be good because when new, these aluminum o-filters are coated with a flat black substance (I always thought it was a thin coating of charcoal or something similar to absorb the ozone like the filters from the old days) and I would think washing them would remove this coating. This is all just guesswork on my part, though.I agree with you and Bix, so just blow. But when I have the opportunity to exchange them, I have no doubts.

Synaux
01-29-2020, 03:38 AM
Yes and no, as you say, as you say they are now aluminum (or similar material) nowadays.

In the photos you attached, are the hive-pathways coated or bare or is that scraping sample simply an ozone-residue?

I would think washing would not be good because when new, these aluminum o-filters are coated with a flat black substance (I always thought it was a thin coating of charcoal or something similar to absorb the ozone like the filters from the old days) and I would think washing them would remove this coating. This is all just guesswork on my part, though.
My thoughts as well

I don't know if it's true but someone told me that piles of toner could form which could form strange marks on the fuser
I honestly feel like this is a stretch... the ozone fan (filter aside) is intended to push materials burned by the coronas (perhaps laser too?) to maintain a somewhat ideal environment for the drum:

Ozone ventilation fan motor (FM6)
" A white belt may occur on the image because of the lower sensitivity of the PC drum due to ozone accumulated around the PC drum charge
corona. In order to avoid this trouble, ozone filter removes the ozone
inside the PC drum charge corona to keep the sensitivity of the PC drum.
• Ozone accumulated around PC drum charge corona will be absorbed by
ozone filter and be removed."

So the consensus is to give a good blowjob and move on--which is what I somewhat expected. I wish I had a method to test ozone-filter-efficacy, but I will leave well enough alone I suppose :)

Last question, on this level of machines, has anyone actually seen an ozone filter clogged? All I have ever seen is some dust accumulated on the prefilter and very slight amount of debris coming out when blown.

srvctec
01-29-2020, 03:49 AM
I've never seen any plugged on these larger machines but then we haven't had any placed in super dirty environments, either. I can't remember in the last 30+ years if I've had an o-filter plugged on other machines in dirty environments or not. In my defense, I have C.R.S. ;)

Bix
01-29-2020, 08:19 AM
My biggest curiosity is... why does the Bizhub 227 have 3 filters to change (2 ozone filter + 1 toner filter)?
I don't know of any other bizhub with so many filters to change. To be on the safe side, I always change when the MFP requests it and its are actually very dirty after only 150k

tulintron
01-29-2020, 01:02 PM
I would think washing would not be good because when new, these aluminum o-filters are coated with a flat black substance (I always thought it was a thin coating of charcoal or something similar to absorb the ozone like the filters from the old days) and I would think washing them would remove this coating. This is all just guesswork on my part, though.Good Morning. I researched more deeply and I agree with you. This thin layer is charcoal.

Synaux
02-01-2020, 04:08 AM
Good Morning. I researched more deeply and I agree with you. This thin layer is charcoal.

Thanks for the followup.
I was tempted to break into a new filter just to see for myself.
Out of curiosity, where did you find the info? I performed an auto-search for "Ozone" on ALL my documents with the results being less than elucidating (and my database only has a few items in it).

blackcat4866
02-01-2020, 03:43 PM
Just as a side note:

Some charcoal filters can be cleansed by heat. Do you think warming would release the ozone to "refurbish" the filter?
=^..^=

Custom Search